• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

Jon was kind enough to have me over to his house a few years ago to view his art and comic collection. It's spectacular. I am sad to see it get broken up, but it will be fun to see the fireworks. I hope to land a few myself. Definitely going to be saving my pennies until then. 

1 hour ago, october said:

Jon was kind enough to have me over to his house a few years ago to view his art and comic collection. It's spectacular. I am sad to see it get broken up, but it will be fun to see the fireworks. I hope to land a few myself. Definitely going to be saving my pennies until then. 

Andy/Alan and others who have seen the collection first hand, could you give us a better sense of contents.  

I know from past threads and scans Jon shared there are beautiful ACE and Centaurs of course the Fox books.  From the threads about visits to Jon's place there is obviously amazing OA and some of the big DC AC1, TEC27.

What else from the GA, how about Timley's, MLJ's, Atlas, Standard/Better/Nedor - any more info you guys could share?

He's a nice man, with a fantastic collection. I know he's enjoyed it, and I hope he lives a long time in good health and enjoys the money he's recouping. I'm sure he's kept some things aside, and nothing is empty, but if not, I'm sure he's fine with his decision.

1 hour ago, Johnny545 said:

Andy/Alan and others who have seen the collection first hand, could you give us a better sense of contents.  

I know from past threads and scans Jon shared there are beautiful ACE and Centaurs of course the Fox books.  From the threads about visits to Jon's place there is obviously amazing OA and some of the big DC AC1, TEC27.

What else from the GA, how about Timley's, MLJ's, Atlas, Standard/Better/Nedor - any more info you guys could share?

I saw mostly Ace/Centaur/Fox and art while I was there, in addition to the AC 1 and Tec 27. His wasn't the only incredible collection I saw on that trip, so it's all kind of a blur. I don't recall seeing Timely or MLJ issues, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. 

14 minutes ago, october said:

I saw mostly Ace/Centaur/Fox and art while I was there, in addition to the AC 1 and Tec 27. His wasn't the only incredible collection I saw on that trip, so it's all kind of a blur. I don't recall seeing Timely or MLJ issues, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. 

I thought he also had and posted several Cheslers and Harveys but it has been a while so my memory may be off. 

3 hours ago, october said:

Wonder why CC would make this big announcement just when their big Winter Event Auction is about to be opened for bidding.  hm

Certainly not doing their consignors any big favors as some potential bidders for books in this upcoming auction will now be tempted to keep their powder dry for the next auction when Berk's books hit the auction block.  doh!

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wonder why CC would make this big announcement just when their big Winter Event Auction is about to be opened for bidding.  hm

Certainly not doing their consignors any big favors as some potential bidders for books in this upcoming auction will now be tempted to keep their powder dry for the next auction when Berk's books hit the auction block.  doh!

They've timed the unveiling of the collection to occur the evening of the upcoming New York Con so you had to provide enough notice for people to attend.

41 minutes ago, telerites said:

I thought he also had and posted several Cheslers and Harveys but it has been a while so my memory may be off. 

He has a nice selection of early Harveys and Cheslers that I saw during my visits and that are likely are still part of the collection.

2 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

He has sold off a decent chunk of his books over the years, including the Church National and Hit Runs as well as all but a couple Atomic Age books.  GA is definitely weighted more heavily toward early books and second-tier hero titles.  He has a complete collection of the bedsheet sized books (New Fun, Jumbo, Master, Wow etc.), Action 1 - 10 including a court copy or two, Whiz 1, Tec 1 but little in the way of the bigger heroes.  I'm not aware of the last time a collection of the breadth of these scarce early books occurred.   As stated earlier, Jon was not condition focused and many of these books are rare so condition varies widely from low grade or restored to nm+ Church books.

Just thought of something that would've been great to watch.. what about a personal interview of Jon being recorded on cam talking about his life with comics, experiences, goals, and what's next for him after selling his collection. 

As one of the younger collectors who has always had a passion in collecting vintage material especially golden age, it's fun to know some of the roots on what got them started and how life was like back in the days. I just find the history of a collector to be intriguing and fascinating. 

You can see much of his art at his CAF gallery.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2254

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Just thought of something that would've been great to watch.. what about a personal interview of Jon being recorded on cam talking about his life with comics, experiences, goals, and what's next for him after selling his collection. 

As one of the younger collectors who has always had a passion in collecting vintage material especially golden age, it's fun to know some of the roots on what got them started and how life was like back in the days. I just find the history of a collector to be intriguing and fascinating. 

Here's his Forbes interview.

https://www.forbes.com/2005/04/22/cz_ms_0422soapbox_inl.html

just got post card from Metropolis and CC...it states " over 300 pieces of original comic art and thousands of vintage comics starting May 22 and ending June 12-16" 

Thousands of comics...coming pictured are Action 1, Cap 1, Tec 27, Fantastic 1 and 5, along with a wonderwold comics 1 ...as well as planet cover 1

Edited by Mmehdy