• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Yes no doubt.

"Here Martha, you take these Cowboy Romance comics and these Fawcetts at Guide, and I'll take these Detectives at Guide.

Thank goodness we have my Guide to tell us what all these are worth and make this an easy division of assets."

Martha...isn't that the same name as the mothers of Superman and Batman?

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, but from looking at both portions of the collection, let's just say that Bob clearly knew what he was doing when it came to dividing up the books.  :whistle:

1/2 went to Bob and 1/2 to the ex-wife.  Of the ex-wife's share, 25% were sold by Gary Carter and the rest were sold to Geppi.

Well, a 50/50 split is a very interesting concept and from what I could see, clearly subject to many definitions.  :devil:

32 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes, it is!  Thanks!

I bumped it so we can get back to discussing Berk's collection in this thread.

I found a couple pictures and a link to a visit by October back in 2015.

AndyTec27.jpg

AndyJonFant3.jpg

There will be Human Torches and Red Raven (Larson) but MM 1 was sold with the rest of the run.  There will be some other misc. ones but nothing I can recall.

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I think this collection can easily clear at least $8 mil. Might be the most valuable collection ever offered up for auction in one time?

agreed, and not a good time to put up serious material on the action block for a while as the pool of comic book collectors money is gonna wear thin

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:
8 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I think this collection can easily clear at least $8 mil. Might be the most valuable collection ever offered up for auction in one time?

agreed, and not a good time to put up serious material on the action block for a while as the pool of comic book collectors money is gonna wear thin

+1

Same sentiment that I had expressed in one of my earlier posts here.  (thumbsu

It was probably also not a good time to be sending your GA books into CGC for grading during the past monthor so.  Especially since they were conditioned to seeing so many beautiful rare GA books from Jon's collection, yours would just look like another POS MA book and downgraded accordingly.  Similar to how so many beautiful looking GA books were graded so tightly last summer when the Lasry books were going across CGC's grading table.  hm 

2 hours ago, jgallo said:

If i read this all right no Timelys? No MM 1 or cap 1.  That kind of surprises me as esp the mm would seem to have been something of interest.

James G 

No, the Timely's were all left for John Veryzl, who will be the next big time collector to unload his personal collection as soon as Jon's books are out of the way.  hm  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, jgallo said:

If i read this all right no Timelys? No MM 1 or cap 1.  That kind of surprises me as esp the mm would seem to have been something of interest.

James G 

No, the Timely's were all left for John Veryzl, who will be the next big time collector to unload his personal collection as soon as Jon's books are out of the way.  hm  :wishluck:

Followed by Dave Anderson :wishluck:

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, tth2 said:
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh, I see......a private sale then or one that was brokered by a major comic book dealer/broker.  (thumbsu

So, this scattering of Church Hit books that were auctioned off by HA just last week were most likely consigned by whoever had brought the books from Jon.  hm

I'm pretty sure we already told you in the Hits thread that Jon had sold the Hits previously to someone else, and it was the someone else who sold them on Heritage just now. :makepoint:

Ask him about the Diamond Gallery sale in 1995.  That he remembers! lol

:roflmao:

14 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, jgallo said:

James G 

Followed by Dave Anderson :wishluck:

And then followed by Stephen Fishler himself.  lol

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Same sentiment that I had expressed in one of my earlier posts here.  (thumbsu

It was probably also not a good time to be sending your GA books into CGC for grading during the past monthor so.  Especially since they were conditioned to seeing so many beautiful rare GA books from Jon's collection, yours would just look like another POS MA book and downgraded accordingly.  Similar to how so many beautiful looking GA books were graded so tightly last summer when the Lasry books were going across CGC's grading table.  hm 

Jon was never conditioned focus.  If you are a high grade snob, you would not have fun going through Jon's collection as only a tiny, tiny portion are uber high grade pedigrees.  Grades vary considerably throughout and some books have resto.  I'm sure the graders are having fun as a decent chunk of the books are ones they seldom get to handle.  I can't see his collection having any impact whatsoever on how CGC grades.

There will be GA, SA and original art to be of interest to a broad spectrum of collectors and I have little doubt of the ability of the market to absorb such a wide-ranging collection.  It will be a fun auction to watch.

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And then followed by Stephen Fishler himself.  lol

Word has it that Fishler has installed a Wall Rack in his mausoleum and that he has said, "I most certainly WILL take them with me....." :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu