• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

If you add Slurpee to the cups would the result be considered "married"?

Yes, but only one straw! to be shared between the winner and the underbidder.

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Fantastic Comics #3 at $103,000.00 already.

18 minutes ago, SushiX said:

Do you guys think that most of the bids will done in a few days and idle until the very end? Bidding is so crazy!:jaws:

Yeah, I really don't get it. Why feed the fire on Day 1? There's plenty of time, like, in the last 3 minutes of the auction, to get in a bid. I understand a tracking bid of 10-50 bucks, but much beyond that, it just seems like so much artificial (though all too real) price escalation. I think that Mitch the Guru would agree on this.

Anyhow, I guess it's nice to know that as of Day 1, I'm already WAY out of the running on Fantastic 3. Unless... hm            ...  lol

Everyone has a different initial strategy. To each their own. Only bid that matters in the scheme of things is the last bid, regardless of when it was made 

14 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Will the Berk pedigree hold value in the future? What does everyone think?

The pedigree itself, no. It's just fun and souvenir for the OOs (original outbidders). 2c + :foryou:

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Yeah, I really don't get it. Why feed the fire on Day 1? There's plenty of time, like, in the last 3 minutes of the auction, to get in a bid. I understand a tracking bid of 10-50 bucks, but much beyond that, it just seems like so much artificial (though all too real) price escalation. I think that Mitch the Guru would agree on this.

Anyhow, I guess it's nice to know that as of Day 1, I'm already WAY out of the running on Fantastic 3. Unless... hm            ...  lol

I sometimes toy with the "scare them off strategy".... Gets rid of the lookie-loos and the looking for a bargain bids by getting the price up to near market fast and then all you are competing with are the bidders willing to go all in.

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

40 minutes ago, Pickie said:

The pedigree itself, no. It's just fun and souvenir for the OOs (original outbidders). 2c + :foryou:

I don't know i heard someone else say this as well I don't think it will be for nothing. From the sounds of things a lot of folks know and interacted with JB and recognize his passion and knowledge for the hobby I have even seen pics of folks he invited into his home to share with. Even a small timer like myself has had the pleasure of speaking to him albeit these very boards but still. He put together a heck of a collection that speaks just as much volume to me personally as  a lot of lesser known pedigrees. I'm not a pedigree expert you would have to defer to several other boardie like StrawMan for that but i think his collection this day in age holds quite a bit of weight in the community. I'm not saying it's Mile High/Larson status but it's more than just a, "fun souvenir" IMO and remember it's not a, "pedigree" anyways is it? It's from the collection of...

True, but the question is about the future? So it's like will you be ready to pay a significant premium for the same book/same grade in, say 10, 15 years just because of the attribution "Berk"? - Time will show, of course ... :)

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I don't know i heard someone else say this as well I don't think it will be for nothing. From the sounds of things a lot of folks know and interacted with JB and recognize his passion and knowledge for the hobby I have even seen pics of folks he invited into his home to share with. Even a small timer like myself has had the pleasure of speaking to him albeit these very boards but still. He put together a heck of a collection that speaks just as much volume to me personally as  a lot of lesser known pedigrees. I'm not a pedigree expert you would have to defer to several other boardie like StrawMan for that but i think his collection this day in age holds quite a bit of weight in the community. I'm not saying it's Mile High/Larson status but it's more than just a, "fun souvenir" IMO and remember it's not a, "pedigree" anyways is it? It's from the collection of...

I'd rather have a book from the JB collection than the Nick Cage collection.

54 minutes ago, Pickie said:

True, but the question is about the future? So it's like will you be ready to pay a significant premium for the same book/same grade in, say 10, 15 years just because of the attribution "Berk"? - Time will show, of course ... :)

I guess it depends on the book. I'm not sure what kind of premiums get paid for any pedigrees to be honest besides for the REALLY big ones and even with those many of them are the nicest examples. With Jons collection many of his books are already Pedigrees (Mile Highs and Larsons for example what like a 10th of the collection?) on top of being rare to begin with. Some of his books only have 1-2 examples ever certified so what do we even compare them to down the road when sometimes his are the best presenting or highest graded. I'm not talking about any of his Silver or bronze btw i don't see these commanding any real premiums. I'm talking the Amazing-Man 22s or the Wonder Comics #1s of this collection. These aren't, "MH/Larson peds" that are coming from his collection these are JB books and have you seen them?? WOW!! How do we say a premium will be paid 10 yrs down the road or even now? Of course a premium will be paid for them I ask again have you seen them??!!! I think it will depend more on the overall state of the market than the name itself but i think this will apply to all comics not just run of the mill books but pedigrees as well. So while i don't disagree with you I still think the name Berk will carry weight down the road bc of the rarities he possessed and had a passion for and let's not get started on that OA which I don't even yet collect whoa!!. So... Will his New Mutants 98 garnish more than a regular NM98 who knows but I can get one of those on ebay 365 days a year. Many of his things we hardly EVER see and THAT in itself IS THE PREMIUM and why they will command premium prices now and down the road  2c

5 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Not even sure that these books have a premium even now based upon them being owned by Berk. His high grade GA books will go for record prices because of the books themselves and not from the collection they are coming out of. The more common (and generally lower grade) SA stuff won't hit such lofty valuations. 

8 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Everyone has a different initial strategy. To each their own. Only bid that matters in the scheme of things is the last bid, regardless of when it was made 

My strategy is to eliminate my watch list items that have high dollar bids on Day 1 (too much demand) and focus on the list that got overlooked. Hopefully, this is a good forecast to finding comics I like for a fair market value.