• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, looks like Mystery Men 7 is turning out to be one of the early MM books that is truly hard to find in high grade condition.  hm

According to the CGC census, the next highest graded copy of this book after the Church 8.0 graded copy is only a lowly graded 4.0 copy.  :whatthe:

Don't know if any other higher graded copies will be coming to market because I believe the Larson copy might have a coupon clipped out of it, or something like that.  Can somebody confirm this since my copy of the Larson list is not handy right now?

i prefer to call my 4.0 "modestly graded."

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:
18 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Is that the one where they missed the ct and trimming? hm

and the xerox cover.

But the colors are so vivid, who could object? (shrug)

26 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I probably won't be able to show my face at any conventions going forward, but that cover has never floated my boat.

I think its a classic, but the price of the book in the marketplace has gotten out of hand.   Then again, so has the price of pretty well anything remotely key or classic.

Edited by Bronty

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, looks like Mystery Men 7 is turning out to be one of the early MM books that is truly hard to find in high grade condition.  hm

According to the CGC census, the next highest graded copy of this book after the Church 8.0 graded copy is only a lowly graded 4.0 copy.  :whatthe:

Don't know if any other higher graded copies will be coming to market because I believe the Larson copy might have a coupon clipped out of it, or something like that.  Can somebody confirm this since my copy of the Larson list is not handy right now?

That's my book (I'm very happy with it), and yes it has a coupon neatly clipped back cover.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:01 PM, Gotham Kid said:

This is such a HUGE auction that it seems most, if not all, have completely forgotten there are HA and ComicLink auctions underway.

+1

Well, based upon most of the results in the just completed HA auction, this would definitely appear to be the case here.  (thumbsu

Or more accurately, completely ignoring these 2 auctions and saving up their dollars for the Berk books.  (shrug)

On 5/15/2017 at 11:43 PM, Sqeggs said:

When will CC start providing complete descriptions? :taptaptap:

What you are seeing are the full extent of the complete descriptions for the various auction lots.  :gossip:

Unlike Heritage which have complete written descriptions and associated "embellishments" in order to help raised the potential bids and selling prices  on their books, CC basically expects the books to sell themselves given their strong customer base.

The only exceptions to this would be key books, classic cover books, or some HTF books that rarely ever comes to market.  Almost a case of "underselling" their books in a lot of cases when they are probably deserving of at least some attached written description with them.  :frown:

Not exactly the best scenario for consignors of non-key or non-classic cover books, but it is what it is.  Especially when you are looking at auction fees of only 10% versus HA almost 30%.  (shrug)

On 05/24/2017 at 8:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Not exactly the best scenario for consignors of non-key or non-classic cover books, but it is what it is.  Especially when you are looking at auction fees of only 10% versus HA almost 30%.

So there's $1.15m of the total $11.5m sales revenue going to CC and they don't give out more than those what 500? copies of that pretty catalog?

On 05/17/2017 at 5:20 PM, HandsomeVanzant said:

Catalogs are going out this week, and if you have any questions, please reach out to ComicConnect directly. Monday through Friday 10am to 6pm eastern time. 1-888-779-7377

M17E7zD.jpg

eUrS1Il.jpg

Cheers! 

Yeah, and I did call and what a service. Cheers!

Need one catalog in addition to my Gerbers. Whoever wants to sell after the show: I'd be happy to pay $100 + shipping (to Europe). FOUND! No more offers, please. Thank you very much :smile::shy:

Edited by Pickie

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What you are seeing are the full extent of the complete descriptions for the various auction lots.  :gossip:

Unlike Heritage which have complete written descriptions and associated "embellishments" in order to help raised the potential bids and selling prices  on their books, CC basically expects the books to sell themselves given their strong customer base.

The only exceptions to this would be key books, classic cover books, or some HTF books that rarely ever comes to market.  Almost a case of "underselling" their books in a lot of cases when they are probably deserving of at least some attached written description with them.  :frown:

Not exactly the best scenario for consignors of non-key or non-classic cover books, but it is what it is.  Especially when you are looking at auction fees of only 10% versus HA almost 30%.  (shrug)

Read the post I was responding to.  I was joking. :makepoint:

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Looks like I was deemed unworthy to get a catalog even though I bid in ever auction, have won some stuff, and make snarky comments about Vinny. 

You'll get one, but because of the snarky Vinny comments it won't arrive until after the auction. 

20 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Looks like I was deemed unworthy to get a catalog even though I bid in ever auction, have won some stuff, and make snarky comments about Vinny. 

That would be quite surprising. My (hopeful) guess is that the chaps in the UK got their catalogs quickly, as these were sent by FedEx. For the rest of us, the catalogs are arriving by 3rd-class mail.  At least that's what I'm telling myself, as each day ticks by...

20 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You'll get one, but because of the snarky Vinny comments it won't arrive until after the auction. 

Huh. Isn't snarky Vinnie that boy-man in Welcome Back Kotter?

I received my catalog yesterday by FedEx. The driver contact me by phone, he was at my home and I persuaded him to drive to my work to drop it off ( only 3 blocks away! )

Nice catalog.

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I received my catalog yesterday by FedEx. The driver contact me by phone, he was at my home and I persuaded him to drive to my work to drop it off ( only 3 blocks away! )

Nice catalog.

Hmmff - that's nothing. Mine rang and asked me if I'd like him to do my food shopping, then he made me a cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

That would be quite surprising. My (hopeful) guess is that the chaps in the UK got their catalogs quickly, as these were sent by FedEx. For the rest of us, the catalogs are arriving by 3rd-class mail.  At least that's what I'm telling myself, as each day ticks by...

That reminds me of that movie, Guys and Chaps.

Just now, Flex Mentallo said:

That reminds me of that movie, Guys and Chaps.

That word play and spoonerism is deep! Do I detect some Cockney slang? e.g., I wish I had the sausage and mash for Fantastic #3.