• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Since everybody is showing off their Fight's, I'll join the party.  Such a beautiful 6.0, and the CT doesn't bother me a bit.

fig1.897a.jpg

Beauty! :golfclap:

18 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Does anybody know what the deal is with Green Giant? Big bucks on that one shot.

per the Heritage description: Overstreet calls it "rare," while Gerber terms it "very rare," signifying that only six to ten copies are thought to still exist. Overstreet also notes that the book was distributed only in New York City, and says that even the book's publisher "believes the book never reached the stands."

I believe it was done by a grocery chain making use of printing equipment if I recall correctly.  Definitely a hard to find book.  I have been trying to find a copy for some time.

24 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Does anybody know what the deal is with Green Giant? Big bucks on that one shot.

Very rare book.  Only 6 copies graded, and a fun, dynamic cover. 

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

per the Heritage description: Overstreet calls it "rare," while Gerber terms it "very rare," signifying that only six to ten copies are thought to still exist. Overstreet also notes that the book was distributed only in New York City, and says that even the book's publisher "believes the book never reached the stands."

I believe it was done by a grocery chain making use of printing equipment if I recall correctly.  Definitely a hard to find book.  I have been trying to find a copy for some time.

Did you win it?  I seriously considered bidding.

1 minute ago, nearmint said:

Did you win it?  I seriously considered bidding.

I did win it.  I offered $6k for the restored 8.5 that sold on HA a while back and $16k for the unrestored 8.0 but never got anyone to offer me anything.  I hate the light tan pages but figured this could be my only opportunity to own a copy.

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

did you get it?

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

Plan to pay immediately after the auction closes as I have a couple of other items I am still watching.

greenGiant1.jpg

cool...I know you wanted it

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

cool...I know you wanted it

Thanks Rick, truly happy with winning it and if it is all I walk away with I will be quite happy.  It is great to have a book I really love and feel a little like I am taking up the baton form Jon in caring for it for many years before I pass the baton to someone else to carry.

Thoughts on why this went for only $580? Only one graded. Just not desirable? I've been picking up toooo many GA books from this auction for "market research" and the final prices confuse me at times.

gre4.102a.jpg

5 minutes ago, edowens71 said:

A win for the motorcycle cover collection.

Crippen -> Berk -> Owens   :headbang: :D

hea1.203a.jpg

Nice one, Ed.  Even apart from the cycle angle, I think the early Headlines, apart from one!, are underappreciated.