• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Imagine how much fun Jon will have, in about two years, when he get's the itch to start collecting again ....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

That's a good idea! Guess he's already about putting up the next hoard. A tough one, this time. -_-

39 minutes ago, CrocHntr said:

Managed to pick up two key first appearances...Captain Triumph and Fearless Flint.  Ha ha.  Still, happy to own a small part of the collection.

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Nice, I loved that Famous Funnies, HG Peters art,  I don't remember seeing it before:) I found myself bidding on that one, instead of the Frazettas, glad you won it:)

I won another tracking bid, by a whole $1, lol...those are getting to be dangerous. It's got great colors though:)

lib1.38a.jpg

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

One of my best experiences on these boards happened when I bought G.A.tor's Catman run, which he understandably didn't want to break up. He even helped me sell the ones I didn't keep, and I'm certain he helped me get way better prices on some of those via his contacts. Honest, reliable, warm hearted and generous.

:foryou:

20 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Love the LB Cole cover:)

What I'm really really enjoying about this auction (besides all the fun posts and the great books), is that I'm hoping that Jon will have made minor (disclosed) restoration more acceptable to a few more people.

I'm so thrilled to see a collection like this, because for years, I was happy to get a book with slight restoration (or even more than slight if it was going to put me in the poor house otherwise), because it allowed me to at least own a copy I loved, that looked nice and sometimes with all the PLOD rhetoric, I was kind of shy about showing mine to anyone..

I'm not a trimming fan and I'm not a fan of taking a destroyed book and making it a 9.8, but Jon's collection is the greatest example I've seen of beautiful books that had highs and lows, the BEST possible grades and some hard to find copies that had a "little help from their friends".

I'm talking about rare GA of course, not Silver and up where the books are so much more common. 

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way, GAtor and I have spoken about it before, and there are many others who agree, but I find that sometimes newer collectors have been terrible turned off by just the "word", when in fact, it might help them own a lovely book.

Not for everyone, of course, nothing ever is:)

Thank you Jon, again...great collection, I just love it. I feel like I'm in a museum.(worship)

Well said, Sharon, but this was a dirty little secret I was hoping to keep to myself.  Now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag!

20 minutes ago, walclark said:

Well said, Sharon, but this was a dirty little secret I was hoping to keep to myself.  Now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag!

Well, since I've always loved picking up your undercopies, Walter;) I kind of knew you knew ;)

5 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
26 minutes ago, walclark said:

Well, since I've always loved picking up your undercopies, Walter;) I kind of knew you knew ;)

I think the negative reaction to PLODs in the hobby originated not so much in people rejecting restored books, as such, but because people were furious to find out that dealers had sold them books with undisclosed restoration.  

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I think the negative reaction to PLODs in the hobby originated not so much in people rejecting restored books, as such, but because people were furious to find out that dealers had sold them books with undisclosed restoration.  

I only have one restored book in my collection (aside from my recent All Star 3 purchase). It's a Sub-Mariner #1 that I traded in my entire baseball card collection as a kid at a show to a dealer for because it was such a nice looking copy.  It was worth over $150 dollars!!!!!   I finally got around to submitting it last year....3 edges trimmed....I'm keeping it forever. It's my anti-Rosebud.