• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

WOW!!! :luhv:

Congrats on picking up this jewel of a book and what is arguably the most classic cover in the entire Amazing-Man run.  :golfclap:

I bet you must have been one happy camper that this one didn't go into the insane extended bidding time period and that your bid from the previous Saturday held up for you.  :whee:

Thank you so much! I was so nervous because I only had 1 or 2 more bids in me lol?? I was truly happy when it finally ended.:banana:

On 6/16/2017 at 8:18 AM, Sqeggs said:

The Larson Populars proved to be more, ah, popular than I had hoped, but I did manage to nab this one.

pop1.728a.jpg

Fantastic!!!  I bid on a few of these Martan Larsons, but got buried.  I really liked this cover, well done!

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I got slammed at work last night and missed the window on the book I really wanted.... Yellow Claw 3...... but I did manage one win. I'm really happy for all of you..... it seems that sometimes everyone DOES get a trophy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

METRO PUNCH 19.jpg

You have great taste, Jimbo.  That YELLOW CLAW 3 would have been a sweet pick up, but these GREEN CLAWs are a nice consolation prize.

I came away with two books from the auction.  An Exciting Comics #5, which is an upgrade for the book in that run.  I wanted at least one Larson book out of this and managed to procure Whirlwind #1.  It is not of the high grade variety, and it is a bit dog eared.  But, it is a Larson.  If I recall Jon's account from the Comic Book Marketplace this was a favorite short run of his.  But he also noted that he bought this book out of the marketplace.  Recall, there were some Larson's that found their way into our hobby before Jon found Mr. Larson alive and well, and then a bunch more of his books.  So I like the little piece of history this one has.  It was one of several books that made Jon realize there was a Lamont Larson out there somewhere, I wonder if he still has any books in his collection.  

Who got the Larsen Red Raven because I think that was a bargain for a great book.  The Mile High Rex Dexter a great buy for someone.  Monumental auction, I need to get a catalogue since they did not deem me worthy to send one.  

Thanks Jon for making your books available to many collectors.  

50 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:
13 hours ago, nearmint said:

No kidding.   $5700 for a 7.5 with glue on the spine.  I won a 7.0 at Heritage last year for $896.

I feel this tells the tale for many of the books in this auction. Many were surprises to say the least.

Jon Berk auction fever.

15 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

The 13 went for 13.7.

I don't track wonderworlds so I don't know what's normal but compared to the prices some of the other foxes got that seems like a great deal :)

Edited by Bronty

On 6/14/2017 at 0:53 PM, skypinkblu said:

Fantastic books, I love them all, but the Fantastic, Tec and the Frazettas ...and the Contact, and...and...are spectacular:)

I won this one with a tracking bid, I was a little surprised, but I've never owned a book from 1937, so it's neat:)

cra2.196a.jpg

Buck Jones & Clyde Beatty. Ahh those were the days:golfclap:

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, buttock said:

Can someone tell me what the Cap 1 finished at?

Pretty sure it was mentioned before. 35K iirc.

Once again, your memory is spot on:

On 6/13/2017 at 6:24 PM, Wayne-Tec said:
On 6/13/2017 at 6:10 PM, Hudson said:

Cap 1 - $35,000

Cap 3 - $31,060

Congratulations to the winners!

The Cap 2 that sold for $3,477 looks like an absolute steal in comparison.

I guess absolutely everybody in the comic book marketplace, except for old Bob himself  :gossip: , must be aware by now that Cap 3 is by far the second most valuable Cap book out there.

Once again selling at huge multiples to condition guide, as it has consistently done over the past several years.  (thumbsu