• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, twmjr1 said:

What happened to the more common books in Berk's collection? The auction included about 3000 items, but the whole collection was about 20,000 items?

They were handed out as party favors to all the live bidders who travelled to the Comic Connect offices to attend the auction in person.

Who took home the Red Raven Larson book?  Also curious as to who scooped the Scoop #2.  That one was a battle and went well beyond where I thought it would go.  But I do see the allure, it is one of my favorite books.

4 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

So vince says in the video today that the auction total hit over 7 million which easily clips Billy Wright collection, and there pre-auction estimate was 3-4 Mil

Views?

13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
18 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

So vince says in the video today that the auction total hit over 7 million which easily clips Billy Wright collection, and there pre-auction estimate was 3-4 Mil

Views?

Where's Mitch when we really need him.  lol

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:
1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

So vince says in the video today that the auction total hit over 7 million which easily clips Billy Wright collection, and there their pre-auction estimate was 3-4 Mil

Views?

:grin:

Congratulations to Jon Berk and to ComicConnect !  :golfclap:

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

From watching that video, for some reason I got the distinct feeling that Vincent would have said the pre-auction estimate was a certain dollars amount lower than the actual auction total, regardless of what the actual results were going to be.  Especially when he started to talk about the rather conservative pre-auction estimates for both the Action 1 and the 'Tec 27.  (shrug)

On 6/19/2017 at 9:44 AM, tth2 said:
On 6/19/2017 at 8:32 AM, Straw-Man said:

he said over 7m.

take every figure Vinnie says and divide by 2, unless he's appraising your books, in which case multiply everything by 2.

Except the hammer prices are all public info, so my guess is that the $7 mill is probably accurate.

On 6/19/2017 at 10:02 AM, G.A.tor said:
On 6/19/2017 at 9:55 AM, Zolnerowich said:

Well put, Mr. Bedrock. In this Auction of auctions, "market value" was just an innocent bystander, and the Overstreet Guide wasn't even invited to the show. 

Ospg hasnt been invited to the dance for many many years now 

Not to get back into this ancient debate, but I don't think Overstreet -- or any price guide -- is supposed to be answering the question:  "What would a high-grade pedigree copy of this book sell for in an open auction?"  After all, the OSPG doesn't even list books above 9.2 and makes no distinction between ped v. non-ped copies.

I've found OSPG to usually be in the ballpark for GA books in more normal circumstances -- say, for mid-grade copies offered in a regular Heritage signature auction. It can be way off on books that have suddenly heated up. But sometimes, "suddenly heated up" means that three or four people have suddenly started collecting those books and pushed up their prices.  Again, I'm not sure price guides are necessarily intended to reflect price run ups of that sort.

22 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:
22 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Thinking about it, mr bedrock himself needs to be in that group. I suspect his is a top 10 collection as well!

:idea:That puts me  in the top ten 100 thousand.... but only just''....

I spent the morning researching this and I'm afraid that a correction was necessary.