• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

User friendly auction results available:

http://www.comicconnect.com/load_page.php?page=2017_BerkResults

Edited by adamstrange

48 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I'm guessing he's still paying 10%

best I've seen on heritage is 12.5 and clink pretty firm at 10% too

I thought I read some place that if you could beat Vinnie in a dance off, he  would do 8%

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

With respect to the 12.5% auction fee charge for Heritage, is this inclusive of the 19.5% Buyer's Premium or are you referring to just the Seller's Premium only?  ???

Negative juice. Meaning consignor gets a cut of the bp

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately, some of them will most probably now be pressed after the auction.  :frown:

a little bird told me that one of my wins is fersure upgradable.  i probably won't act on it until/unless i sell.

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

With respect to the 12.5% auction fee charge for Heritage, is this inclusive of the 19.5% Buyer's Premium or are you referring to just the Seller's Premium only?  ???

Negative juice. Meaning consignor gets a cut of the bp

Not exactly sure what you mean by negative juice here.  ???

For example, with the 10% auction fee for both CC and CL, I know that if a book sells for $100, I will be seeing $90 of that amount.  Nice and simple.  (thumbsu

With Heritage, if a book hammers for $100, the buyer has to pay $119.50 and the auction result also gets posted as a sale at $119.50.  Based upon your 12.5% HA auction fee, does this mean that the consignor will be seeing $104.56 (i.e. 87.5% of the $119.50 final price) or will the consignor be receiving only $87.50 (i.e. 87.5% of the $100 hammer price).  (shrug)

There is a big difference here because if it is the latter, than that basically means the consignor is paying an auction fee of 26.8% to have their books sold through Heritage as opposed to the straight and simple 10% on CC and CL.  hm

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not exactly sure what you mean by negative juice here.  ???

With Heritage, if a book hammers for $100, the buyer has to pay $119.50 and the auction result also gets posted as a sale at $119.50.  Based upon your 12.5% HA auction fee, does this mean that the consignor will be seeing $104.56 (i.e. 87.5% of the $119.50 final price)

This one. It means HA waves the seller's premium and you also receive a piece of the buyer's premium.

Of course they aren't doing this for every Hulk 181 you send in, it applies to better material on a case by case basis.

35 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

This one. It means HA waves the seller's premium and you also receive a piece of the buyer's premium.

Of course they aren't doing this for every Hulk 181 you send in, it applies to better material on a case by case basis.

Given the other venues available, I don't know why one would sell with HA if you didn't get this deal. 

14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
14 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
15 hours ago, Saleen333 said:

Someone mention the auction was over 7 million in sales I almost sure Jon  negotiated a lower percentage then the standard 10 percent since he could have gone to any auction house of his choosing with his collection.

+1

Lot of tax to pay I assume on that amount. :eek:

I imagine he kept good records of his purchases, but that would appear to be a lot of paperwork to plow through.

25 minutes ago, rjpb said:
1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Given the other venues available, I don't know why one would sell with HA if you didn't get this deal. 

Tough to beat their signature auction catalogs and international reach, but, yeah, if you don't get some kind of break on the fees, that's a huge wedge (29.5%) between what the buyer is paying and what you are receiving as a seller.

45 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
15 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
16 hours ago, Saleen333 said:

Someone mention the auction was over 7 million in sales I almost sure Jon  negotiated a lower percentage then the standard 10 percent since he could have gone to any auction house of his choosing with his collection.

+1

Lot of tax to pay I assume on that amount. :eek:

I imagine he kept good records of his purchases, but that would appear to be a lot of paperwork to plow through.

I would not be so sure about that, especially when you are probably talking about 30 years ago and at a time when most of these books were substantially and possibly deemed not to have significant real dollar value at the time.  (shrug)

It's much more important to keep good records of all of your newsstand and drek books which still have no real monetary value after all this time, so that you can write them off as a loss to offset some of your capital gains.  :devil:

After all, they would probably be ecstatic that somebody is actually paying them taxes on sale of their funny books, but would not look very favorably on anybody trying to claim a loss on sale of their books.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Zips unbelievable!

The Zips went nuts, but prices have been aggressive before for those classic bondage/war covers. At least there is 'some' precedent there.

I was looking at the finishing prices for Weird Comics and prices were completely all over the price... some slightly brittle and restored copies finished high, some blue labels and some of the better covers finished low. Kinda wish I'd thrown in bids on a couple!, but ah well.

17 minutes ago, Point Five said:
33 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Zips unbelievable!

The Zips went nuts,

That's only because "Z" is the last letter in the alphabet and whoever still had money left over from hoping to win subsequent lots suddenly realized there were no more books to come after that.  Unless you wanted to chase after a copy of Zoom Comics instead.  lol

So, nothing else to throw your money at except for the Zips since this was your last chance to get a book from Jon Berk's Collection.  :wink:

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's only because "Z" is the last letter in the alphabet and whoever still had money left over from hoping to win subsequent lots suddenly realized there were no more books to come after that.  Unless you wanted to chase after a copy of Zoom Comics instead.  lol

So, nothing else to throw your money at except for the Zips since this was your last chance to get a book from Jon Berk's Collection.  :wink:

I believe there is some truth to this, I've noticed in general with these multi-day auctions, that my relatively low ball bids are more likely to win books from the first two days than the last two. As people get bid out on their earlier choices, the resolve to win later books can intensify. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would not be so sure about that, especially when you are probably talking about 30 years ago and at a time when most of these books were substantially and possibly deemed not to have significant real dollar value at the time.  (shrug)

It's much more important to keep good records of all of your newsstand and drek books which still have no real monetary value after all this time, so that you can write them off as a loss to offset some of your capital gains.  :devil:

After all, they would probably be ecstatic that somebody is actually paying them taxes on sale of their funny books, but would not look very favorably on anybody trying to claim a loss on sale of their books.  hm

At this level, the IRS is definitely on top of it.  I'm not an accountant, but I imagine that without reasonable proof of the purchase price, he'd be liable for the 28% collectibles capital gain tax on the entire sale  price -- minus 10 cents. :whatthe:

My guess is that he has ample documentation of what he paid for many of the higher price books. 

As a more general point, anyone who is receiving significant checks from the major auction houses and isn't reflecting those payments on his tax returns is playing with fire.

One thing I loved about this auction is that it generated more excitement in the GA collecting community than any other auction I can remember.  You'd have to go back to the Nic Cage 2002 HA auction, which is the auction that drew me back to the hobby after a several year hiatus, for anything remotely close to this level of excitement.  The Crippen and McLaughlin auctions would probably be next.

3 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

One thing I loved about this auction is that it generated more excitement in the GA collecting community than any other auction I can remember.  You'd have to go back to the Nic Cage 2002 HA auction, which is the auction that drew me back to the hobby after a several year hiatus, for anything remotely close to this level of excitement.  The Crippen and McLaughlin auctions would probably be next.

(thumbsu

Superman 2 CGC 6.0 D.jpg