• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Saleen333 said:

Where the cut off when someone has to pay taxes?? 9999.99 And I'm  assuming it's only federal because most of us live out of state and are not  liable for state taxes.

Again, I'm not an accountant, but I think the answer is that the federal government technically taxes capital gains on collectibles from the first dollar you earn.  If your state has a personal income tax, you may be liable there, too.  Now, of course, for small amounts, it's unlikely that your gains will come to the attention of the IRS .

At tax time, I gather up all more records and dump them on my accountant.  He seems quite competent.  I found him by Googling "Hyperaggressive Manhattan tax accountants." He's assured me that if anything goes wrong, he's got enough juice to get us adjoining cells in Sing Sing, where he promises to look out for me.

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh, come on, you party poopers!   (tsk)

Why do you take such a fun thread as Jon's amazing once in a lifetime comic book collection and turn it into a depressing discussion on taxes.  :signofftopic:

I 100% agree, now on to the topic of why there aren't more "For Sale" thread popping up, is everyone who won a Berk book so darn rich they don't need to sale anything

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Oh, come on, you party poopers!   (tsk)

Why do you take such a fun thread as Jon's amazing once in a lifetime comic book collection and turn it into a depressing discussion on taxes.  :signofftopic:

Seriously Lou, you have been the ultimate crapper on this thread.  The last several post of yours have been about perceived value, how to recoup that value, who gets left holding the bag, etc...  And now you call BS on a guy who asks a question about taxes?  Neither subject (your own BS or taxes) was what this thread was about, it devolved (with your help) into a debate about what is something worth, how much money will it return to me, the guide is wrong, etc....  

Try...... Please just try to look at the bright side of life.  This was an epic auction for the hobby, people went after what they wanted and some came away happy, others not so much.  This was not about "investing" for the vast majority of the sales.  This was about collectors getting some very significant once in a lifetime opportunities at books that will be squirreled away into long time collections for the foreseeable future, and they paid what was comfortable to them.  I can also concur with your position that people paid what I consider to be a lot of money for certain books, but I won't say the overpaid since this was an auction venue.  I will use Amazing Man #22 here as an example.  I would love to have that book, wanted it forever, and I only have 3/4 of one (missing the Green Nazi Gorillas of course).  But I had no idea that other folks would pay so much money for it ( in my little world anyway), and congratulation to SushiX for bringing that book home (did the kitty really go to a sushi restaurant for that avatar picture?).  It is really all relative to what you compare your experience to.  There are many many many people out there, that for the life of them, cannot and will not understand why anyone would pay a significant amount of money for an old comic book.

Enjoy stuff like this.  Life is too short to fret that much.  If you are a collector of golden age books your doing OK, its not a cheap hobby. Now, I gotta go dig up my copy of CBM #71 as one of the boardies here posted that Jon had a Larson article published in that issue with more details about how he found Lamont and what he found (a list?).  Would that not be the coolest thing?  So hey Lamont, is there anything in the shed out in the backyard?

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:14 AM, bluechip said:

I sold all my backup AF 15s years ago thinking that the supply would have to impact the demand a bit.   It didn't

This continues to blow me away.  Who are all these people who are only buying AF 15s now?  And why are they so desperate to buy such a commonly available comic that they're willing to pay up big time for a copy. 

Are these long-time collectors who for whatever reason never bought a copy before, or is it the mythical new collector whose interest has been piqued by the movies and wants to now own a copy of his first appearance, meaning that the number of collectors who want a copy has actually increased? 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:47 AM, Robot Man said:

Serious question... Did you ever read Bangzoom's posts or see the photos? Why would the quality of his collection be determined by if they were slabbed or not? The photos he posted were good enough to me to determine their breadth of scale and quality. Now, throw in his probably even better pulp and art collection... Hey Edgar never slabbed any of his books or even bagged them for that matter. Hands down the best GA collection of all time.

Did Bangzoom ever post high-res scans of his books, or only photos?

8 minutes ago, Et-Es-Go said:

Seriously Lou, you have been the ultimate crapper on this thread.  The last several post of yours have been about perceived value, how to recoup that value, who gets left holding the bag, etc...  And now you call BS on a guy who asks a question about taxes?  Neither subject (your own BS or taxes) was what this thread was about, it devolved (with your help) into a debate about what is something worth, how much money will it return to me, the guide is wrong, etc....  

Try...... Please just try to look at the bright side of life.  This was an epic auction for the hobby, people went after what they wanted and some came away happy, others not so much.  This was not about "investing" for the vast majority of the sales.  This was about collectors getting some very significant once in a lifetime opportunities at books that will be squirreled away into long time collections for the foreseeable future, and they paid what was comfortable to them.  I can also concur with your position that people paid what I consider to be a lot of money for certain books, but I won't say the overpaid since this was an auction venue.  I will use Amazing Man #22 here as an example.  I would love to have that book, wanted it forever, and I only have 3/4 of one (missing the Green Nazi Gorillas of course).  But I had no idea that other folks would pay so much money for it ( in my little world anyway), and congratulation to SushiX for bringing that book home (did the kitty really go to a sushi restaurant for that avatar picture?).  It is really all relative to what you compare your experience to.  There are many many many people out there, that for the life of them, cannot and will not understand why anyone would pay a significant amount of money for an old comic book.

Enjoy stuff like this.  Life is too short to fret that much.  If you are a collector of golden age books your doing OK, its not a cheap hobby. Now, I gotta go dig up my copy of CBM #71 as one of the boardies here posted that Jon had a Larson article published in that issue with more details about how he found Lamont and what he found (a list?).  Would that not be the coolest thing?  So hey Lamont, is there anything in the shed out in the backyard?

LoL...lets hope not about the kitty,heath department would have a fit.(tsk) 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, MrBedrock said:
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, jcb193 said:

This might have been mentioned before, but is it safe to assume these were all presssed, cleaned before being graded?  

They were not pressed before the auction.

:applause:

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:53 AM, lou_fine said:

Now, now.......you had your chance, but did not take advantage of it.  (tsk)

As Tim has already stated, his max bid was actually a lot higher than what the Church MM 3 actually sold for.  :whatthe:

I just wished he had told us all before the auction what his max bid was.  This way, I am sure that we as his fellow board members would have been more than happy to ensure that his MM 3 received full and its rightful value in the marketplace.  :devil:  lol

A year or so ago, I would never have even conceived of paying six figures for a book that's primarily notable for its cover.  But then Suspense 3 broke the $100K barrier, then the $200K barrier, the Fantastic 3 similarly broke the $200k barrier, and most startlingly (pun intended), the Startling 49, which is not a rare book in any way, even in high grade, broke $100K.  So I figured I had to raise my game.

Fortunately, the rest of the world didn't share my level of interest and let me walk it in from half court.

14 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Did Bangzoom ever post high-res scans of his books, or only photos?

There was a mix of scans and photos .   Some of the books looked very, very good.

Here is  BZ from 2007:

Probably 95% of my collection was purchased from original owners. The 'pedigrees' in my collection are not known by fandom, they're only known by me. When I look at most of my comics, I can spot the Kolmorgan, Foote, Starr, Clarke, and Gilchrist issues immediately. It makes the collecting a little more special.

Having said all of that, I do understand why there is so much ruckus about prices and potential appreciation. Collectors today spend so much money on their hobby, they'd be foolish not to give some thought to possible downsides in their investments.

Almost all my buys were 30-40 years ago. I think the most I ever paid for a single issue was $55 for Superman #1. It was purchased from a dealer who advertised it in the old fanzine, The Rocket's Blast. The market must have been slow back then because he gave me (13 years at the time) 30 days to raise the money.

Things have sure changed.

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

This continues to blow me away.  Who are all these people who are only buying AF 15s now?  And why are they so desperate to buy such a commonly available comic that they're willing to pay up big time for a copy. 

Are these long-time collectors who for whatever reason never bought a copy before, or is it the mythical new collector whose interest has been piqued by the movies and wants to now own a copy of his first appearance, meaning that the number of collectors who want a copy has actually increased? 

Seems like a classic bubble to me, given that not much has happened in the movie or collecting world in the past year or two to account for the big price jump.  Apparently people see it as a great investment irrespective of the price they have to pay.  After all, it can only go much, much, much higher from here. 

6 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Almost all my buys were 30-40 years ago. I think the most I ever paid for a single issue was $55 for Superman #1. It was purchased from a dealer who advertised it in the old fanzine, The Rocket's Blast. The market must have been slow back then because he gave me (13 years at the time) 30 days to raise the money.

Things have sure changed.

They definitely have.  ComicConnect is giving buyers in the Berk auction six months to pay. :)