• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2017 at 7:48 AM, retrocomics said:

Anything you buy from Comicconnect or metro you better be patient for. I usually almost forgot I bought when it comes after a month or so.

I usually get my auction wins in about four weeks when paying with check. But Metro is slow on everything. I just bought something off their site and paid with credit card 11 days ago - still haven't gotten a shipping email.  You'd think for $17.50 minimum shipping charge, they'd be a bit more timely. 

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

I usually get my auction wins in about four weeks when paying with check. But Metro is slow on everything. I just bought something off their site and paid with credit card 11 days ago - still haven't gotten a shipping email.  You'd think for $17.50 minimum shipping charge, they'd be a bit more timely. 

Could it have anything to do with the chosen shipping method? I've received mine here in the UK about very roughly two weeks after paying, sent via Fedex. So are some packages being collected by Fedex, and others being taken for USPS to the post office and someone is standing in line with a bunch of packages everyday? Writing that, it doesnt make much logistical sense though.hm

23 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
On 7/1/2017 at 5:49 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Gotta post this here, there and everywhere.

Planet Comics #18 CGC 8.0.jpg

Those are some otherworldly colors! Really one of a kind!

What an absolutely gorgeous pickup here!  (thumbsu

The purple color cover just blends in so nicely with the purple color label.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

Arrived! No high profile books, but only ones on my want list that I could realistically see myself winning...

I'm thrilled to death just to have been able to snag these three. Love 'em all but especially the Venus 18 as it completes my Venus 17, 18, 19 trifecta!:whee:

Marvel%20Tales%20%20100%20CGC%206.0_zpsp

Space%20Action%20%202%20CGC%205.5_zps4ie

Venus%20%2018%20CGC%205.0_zpscee3na73.jp

9 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Arrived! No high profile books, but only ones on my want list that I could realistically see myself winning...

I'm thrilled to death just to have been able to snag these three. Love 'em all but especially the Venus 18 as it completes my Venus 17, 18, 19 trifecta!:whee:

:golfclap:Nice Jayman! Triple A (Atlas-Ace-Atlas)!

30 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Congratulations!  Maybe not high profile but those sterling examples of Lou Cameron and Bill Everett covers and interiors!:applause:

19 hours ago, Jayman said:

NICE! Very nice snag. Sadly, Jon wasn't much of a "horror head"

On 6/28/2017 at 7:42 PM, HRCostigan said:

Would be cool if all the winners made a pact to make this an annual Jon Berk auction, sending back the books they all won each summer for the grand auction spectacle!

I doubt many of them will turn over in the next year, or decade for that matter.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:54 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Could it have anything to do with the chosen shipping method? I've received mine here in the UK about very roughly two weeks after paying, sent via Fedex. So are some packages being collected by Fedex, and others being taken for USPS to the post office and someone is standing in line with a bunch of packages everyday? Writing that, it doesnt make much logistical sense though.hm

My guess is that USPS probably picks up from their office.  Purchases off the Metro site do seem to take a while, even when I pay with a cc. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

NICE! Very nice snag. Sadly, Jon wasn't much of a "horror head"

I know, but it helped cut down my watch list greatly! Although I was tempted by those Space Westerns! :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sadly, Jon wasn't much of a "horror head"

Jon had quite a lot of 50s books in various grades but sold them to pay for original art.  What was in the auction was only a portion of the comics he used to own, some of which were uber high grade Church runs.

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Jon had quite a lot of 50s books in various grades but sold them to pay for original art.  What was in the auction was only a portion of the comics he used to own, some of which were uber high grade Church runs.

If I may ask, did Jon also end up keeping some of his favorite original art for himself in the end? 

Similar to how he kept some of his favorite comic books such as the Larson Mystery Men 3, Amazing Mystery Funnies #3, etc, for himself in the end.

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

If I may ask, did Jon also end up keeping some of his favorite original art for himself in the end? 

Similar to how he kept some of his favorite comic books such as the Larson Mystery Men 3, Amazing Mystery Funnies #3, etc, for himself in the end.

Hopefully he'll start answering questions himself but, in the meantime, I think responded earlier that he kept a very, very small selection of everything he liked about his collection, including some original art.  He walked me through it a week before the auction and I told that it he still had a number of pieces that made me jealous, even if the big boys were gone.