• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I certainly agree that Ritter is an awesome dealer. No doubt about that! My main question is why the "From the Collection of Jon Berk" information is not associated with the listings. I could easily see how someone not aware of the Berk hubbub buys this book without having any idea about its provenance. And thus *poof* into the ether goes the Berk association. Maybe I'm just getting too nostalgic...

Berk books are a big deal to our little community.  And most older collectors recognize Jon and his contributions to comic fandom. But a lot of newer collectors don't know him and probably could care less about the provenance. That said, can't imagine it would hurt to include the info. Unfortunately I only bought one Berk book for resale...guess I missed the boat Ritter owns!

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Berk books are a big deal to our little community.  And most older collectors recognize Jon and his contributions to comic fandom. But a lot of newer collectors don't know him and probably could care less about the provenance. That said, can't imagine it would hurt to include the info. Unfortunately I only bought one Berk book for resale...guess I missed the boat Ritter owns!

The Berk connection would mean that the price he paid for the book and the CGC grade it was before any work was done is discoverable.

Harder to maximise your return if you bought the book recently and your cost is known.

4 hours ago, 1koko said:

The Berk connection would mean that the price he paid for the book and the CGC grade it was before any work was done is discoverable.

Harder to maximise your return if you bought the book recently and your cost is known.

That was my first thought.  

5 hours ago, 1koko said:

Not necessarily true. My cost is "known" on the majority of books I resell and doesn't prevent the sale, and I think I am trying to come close most times to maximizing potential return. 

Now that might be the reason the info is omitted , but a little sleuthing can reveal, as we've seen already 

12 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I certainly agree that Ritter is an awesome dealer. No doubt about that! My main question is why the "From the Collection of Jon Berk" information is not associated with the listings. I could easily see how someone not aware of the Berk hubbub buys this book without having any idea about its provenance. And thus *poof* into the ether goes the Berk association. Maybe I'm just getting too nostalgic...

I think that's a valid point.  But I suppose from the viewpoint of preserving the history of the hobby, losing this sort of designation is less significant than losing the designation of a book from a CGC-recognized OO ped, as occasionally happens.  

Since some of these books are quite recognizable, if one were submitted for grading, I wonder whether the CGC graders would restore the designation to the label even if the submitter was unaware that it was a Berk book? A couple of times I've had a ped designation added to a book by the graders even though I was unaware that book was a ped and hadn't indicated anything on the submission form.

38 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Since some of these books are quite recognizable, if one were submitted for grading, I wonder whether the CGC graders would restore the designation to the label even if the submitter was unaware that it was a Berk book? A couple of times I've had a ped designation added to a book by the graders even though I was unaware that book was a ped and hadn't indicated anything on the submission form.

I've also thought about the same thing too.  hm

I know that CGC will always restore the designation for the official pedigree books, but I am not sure about these "From the Collection Of" designations since they might have to come directly from the collector themselves.  (shrug)

So, if I do crack out my books and eventually send them back in for reholdering with the original label enclosed, would CGC put the Jon Berk designation back onto the new label or not?  ???

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I've also thought about the same thing too.  hm

I know that CGC will always restore the designation for the official pedigree books, but I am not sure about these "From the Collection Of" designations since they might have to come directly from the collector themselves.  (shrug)

So, if I do crack out my books and eventually send them back in for reholdering with the original label enclosed, would CGC put the Jon Berk designation back onto the new label or not?  ???

I was told "yes" by a CGC rep, but who really knows?

19 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Why does the Berk info matter? I've known Jon a long time and admire and respect him greatly. I am super happy that he acquired the books that he did. But at the point that he decided to sell them they are no longer from the "Berk Collection". It's nice if you want to track them back, but if that is the case then all of the Fox Church books are from "The Rowe Collection", or "The Patterson Collection", or as they were split up after that "The Evans Collection" or "The Nicholson Collection", or part of "The Sparkle City Inventory", or "The Metropolis Inventory" or...you get the point. Berk was a great custodian for a time. But now all of us who have purchased them have books that Berk formerly owned that are now part of our collections. And if Ritter cracks a few and sells them raw, no big deal. None of the books that Berk sold before this auction have any notation that he used to own them. They are still books that Berk used to own. They aren't worth more, or less.

32 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Why does the Berk info matter? I've known Jon a long time and admire and respect him greatly. I am super happy that he acquired the books that he did. But at the point that he decided to sell them they are no longer from the "Berk Collection". It's nice if you want to track them back, but if that is the case then all of the Fox Church books are from "The Rowe Collection", or "The Patterson Collection", or as they were split up after that "The Evans Collection" or "The Nicholson Collection", or part of "The Sparkle City Inventory", or "The Metropolis Inventory" or...you get the point. Berk was a great custodian for a time. But now all of us who have purchased them have books that Berk formerly owned that are now part of our collections. And if Ritter cracks a few and sells them raw, no big deal. None of the books that Berk sold before this auction have any notation that he used to own them. They are still books that Berk used to own. They aren't worth more, or less.

Great point.  What makes him a great guy was his willingness to share information and his passion on sites like this.  That can't be taken away, the best way to honor the guy is by passing on the stories, IMHO.

I will say this, I'm more impressed by a Jon Berk association (or other passionate collector who shared information association such as Don & Maggie Thompson) than I am by a Nic Cage (or Jerry Buss or some other famous person) association.  Nic Cage's ownership of a book didn't make it cool.  It just showed he was cool.  But, a Berk, D&MT, Gaines, Crowley, etc., is neat because they are associated with folks who helped grow the hobby in significant ways through efforts other than just collecting and then selling some comics.

45 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Bedrock: I will say for me, having Jon's copy of a Centaur or Larson copy ( and to some extent an Ace Periodicals  book because he was into the publisher long before a lot of us even 'discovered' them) carried a lot of weight with me when I was deciding what to 'chase' in that auction. 

Hes the man credited with tracking down Mr. Larson , so to me the pedigree will always be synonymous with Jon. 

Also his Centaur collection was one of his Collecting 'achievements' I gathered from the Metro video. So again, something (though to a lesser extent) that will always be associated with Jon as fandom rolls on, and there may just be a few folks 25 years from now gathering all this data and setting out to reassemble Jons copies of Larson, Centaur, Ace or Fox books, just because. 

Oh the premiums I'm gonna charge for my copies then........:devil: :D

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Just thinking about potentially owning a book from the Evan's Collection makes me feel tingly all over :luhv:

14 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

Indeed I have less than I use to have.  But I am content and SO pleased that everyone has spelt my name correctly............jb

Who is this John guy  (shrug). I fixed that for you jb.

I forgot to tell you that you have/had a great collection. Glad you still have a lot of books left.  Action 20 Larson would love to see a pic

I loved :foryou: your post to marvel comics i read a lot of that stuff 40 years ago.

Edited by woowoo

Jon,

The question was asked a couple days back whether you had collected pulps?

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Great point.  What makes him a great guy was his willingness to share information and his passion on sites like this.  That can't be taken away, the best way to honor the guy is by passing on the stories, IMHO.

I will say this, I'm more impressed by a Jon Berk association (or other passionate collector who shared information association such as Don & Maggie Thompson) than I am by a Nic Cage (or Jerry Buss or some other famous person) association.  Nic Cage's ownership of a book didn't make it cool.  It just showed he was cool.  But, a Berk, D&MT, Gaines, Crowley, etc., is neat because they are associated with folks who helped grow the hobby in significant ways through efforts other than just collecting and then selling some comics.

I agree, those are excellent points you raise, Richard. Though along the lines of the sfcityduck, there does seem to be something quite unique (and most likely not to be repeated) in terms of what Jon brought to the hobby, and which is perhaps worth the minimal effort to keep his name associated with the books. 

Well, when the "From the Collection of Richard Evans" books arrive on the CC auction block, I'm buying your MM 10, then cracking, pressing, massaging, de-identifying it, and selling to Ritter! :sumo:

4 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I agree, those are excellent points you raise, Richard. Though along the lines of the sfcityduck, there does seem to be something quite unique (and most likely not to be repeated) in terms of what Jon brought to the hobby, and which is perhaps worth the minimal effort to keep his name associated with the books. 

Well, when the "From the Collection of Richard Evans" books arrive on the CC auction block, I'm buying your MM 10, then cracking, pressing, massaging, de-identifying it, and selling to Ritter! :sumo:

Doesn't he roll on his books naked,or am I remembering someone else?