• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's is certainly one of the problems with the Denver books since they do not have any distinguishing marks or identification codes on them.  :frown:

Not sure if there would be more than 1 copy of a particular book in the Denver Collection since it was such a small collection as it is made up of only about 153 individual books.  I assume the best person to check with would be Payette since he was the guy who discovered the original collection and might have notes for the individual books.

I believe there is a similar thing with the Denver Mystery Men 1 since Steve Carey owns the Denver 1 and yet the Overstreet copy which was pictured as part of the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening brochure also identifies that copy as being the Denver copy.  With Bob and Geppi though, they just had so many books at the time that they probably simply mixed it up with one of the other pedigrees.  hm  (shrug)

My copy was  purchased in July 1985 (yes 1985) as the Denver copy from Steve Fishler. Does that help?

6 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

My copy was  purchased in July 1985 (yes 1985) as the Denver copy from Steve Fishler. Does that help?

I guess we would have to wait for Gator's response since he was the one that was actually asking the question.  (thumbsu

53 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

Many of my Centaurs were collected years ago.  I would think Jim Payette would be the best to ask on the book.  I was just lucky to get a copy at all.  There are no markings that I know of and do not have that book any longer.

13 minutes ago, jbcomicbox said:

Many of my Centaurs were collected years ago.  I would think Jim Payette would be the best to ask on the book.  I was just lucky to get a copy at all.  There are no markings that I know of and do not have that book any longer.

Hey Jon, where did you acquire the Green Giant from?  Any background story?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Or you could also try and nab the MM 11 which is available in the upcoming CC auction, and which I often refer to as the poor man's version of MM 10, and then try to do the same thing.  Especially since half your work would already be done since although it is the highest graded copy, it is at least a nameless copy which has already been de-identified for you.  hm

Although it's probably best to do it before Ritter gets around to it because as we can see here, Ritter is pretty fast at the draw when it comes to doing this kind of thing.  lol

Snazzy idea! Except that there's no 6-month payment plan to spread the pain this time... :sorry:

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Or you could also try and nab the MM 11 which is available in the upcoming CC auction, and which I often refer to as the poor man's version of MM 10, and then try to do the same thing.  Especially since half your work would already be done since although it is the highest graded copy, it is at least a nameless copy which has already been de-identified for you.  hm

Although it's probably best to do it before Ritter gets around to it because as we can see here, Ritter is pretty fast at the draw when it comes to doing this kind of thing.  lol

Snazzy idea! Except that there's no 6-month payment plan to spread the pain this time... :sorry:

Sounds as though you must be a masochist who enjoys a good, steady, and consistent stream of pain.  :baiting:

Well, I am sure if you contact them and let them know that you would be willing to go as high as 5-figures on this book here, they will be sure to happily put in the 6-month payment plan option for you.  Ok, maybe they'll even be willing to do it just for you if you go as high as mid-four figures.  lol

Seriously though, they probably simply haven't gotten around to fine-tuning all of their listings yet, since there's still another 2 whole months to go.  They haven't even inserted the payment plan option on their Fantastic 3 and Pep 22 listings yet either.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

finally got tracking, should have my 4 books this weekend, man this wait was hard but will be worth it

Still waiting.  My personal record is 31 days from auction closing until books were shipped by CC.  This wait may be a contender.

I'm sure it is a daunting task to get thousands of lots sorted, packed, and shipped.  I'm a patient man.

On 7/10/2017 at 3:00 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 7/10/2017 at 2:42 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 7/10/2017 at 1:19 PM, Sqeggs said:

That's very interesting.  So Ritter won it in the CC auction, cracked it out, and relisted it raw on his site, where he sold it for a profit. 

I wonder who would buy it for a premium over the CC auction price? (Although we don't know whether he got his full ask.)

I guess it's worth noting that it was in a CGC 8.0 slab but he listed it as a VF+ (8.5).  

I would have to assume the book was pressed and cleaned. I know both the centaurs listed do look nicer than when slabbed?

Yeah, the dust shadow on the Star Vol. 2, No. 7 is much lighter:

CC auction scan: http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=717658&title=STARCOMICS

On 7/10/2017 at 3:01 PM, G.A.tor said:

That was the main one I was referencing 

Actually, the one that I was thinking much more about was the All-Select 4:

CC Auction Scan:  http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=716330&title=ALLSELECT COMICS

World Wide Scan:  http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=AllSelectComics_4_58197

Clear evidence to me that an improperly encased book in one of these new fangled CGC case holders along with a poor scan taken by the auction house at the wrong angle does not stand a chance against a book which has been released from its imprisoned tomb to revert back to its all-natural photogenic self in all its glory and wonder.  lol

For the life of me, I cannot think of any other explanation as to how an overpriced CGC 0.5 Poor graded book can change into a underpriced Qualified Fine book just like that.  (thumbsu  :wink:

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you must be a masochist who enjoys a good, steady, and consistent stream of pain.  :baiting:

Well, I am sure if you contact them and let them know that you would be willing to go as high as 5-figures on this book here, they will be sure to happily put in the 6-month payment plan option for you.  Ok, maybe they'll even be willing to do it just for you if you go as high as mid-four figures.  lol

Seriously though, they probably simply haven't gotten around to fine-tuning all of their listings yet, since there's still another 2 whole months to go.  They haven't even inserted the payment plan option on their Fantastic 3 and Pep 22 listings yet either.  (shrug)

"...a masochist who enjoys a good, steady, and consistent stream of pain."  lol

I wish I could blame it on the comics, but it's all me, really. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, the one that I was thinking much more about was the All-Select 4:

CC Auction Scan:  http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=716330&title=ALLSELECT COMICS

World Wide Scan:  http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=AllSelectComics_4_58197

Clear evidence to me that an improperly encased book in one of these new fangled CGC case holders along with a poor scan taken by the auction house at the wrong angle does not stand a chance against a book which has been released from its imprisoned tomb to revert back to its all-natural photogenic self in all its glory and wonder.  lol

For the life of me, I cannot think of any other explanation as to how an overpriced CGC 0.5 Poor graded book can change into a underpriced Qualified Fine book just like that.  (thumbsu  :wink:

Looks like @Straw-Man's new copy to me, but I could be wrong.  They really did a great job removing the spine roll!

20 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Looks like @Straw-Man's new copy to me, but I could be wrong.  They really did a great job removing the spine roll!

I wonder if he received this once former Jon Berk copy from World Wide even before he received his initial order of Berk books from CC?  :taptaptap:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

20 hours ago, jbcomicbox said:

Scanner is down.  However as you know.....there was a little mouse that found the Larson books tasty including the Action 20   Others that I kept was Thrilling 4 chewed Larson, Speed 10. Larson

Mysterymen 26 Larson. Wonder world 27 Larson;  Victory 3 "Lost Larson". (In my Larson article, I got a note from his childhood buddy and sold me the Larson that came from his friend and not from his home.  The rest of the Lost Larsons were in the Auction

Finally almost done being "selective, I kept Silver Streak. no number

Eagle 4, Flame 7

Switching issues I still have three Fine pages from Wonderworld 10,  Crack Comics 17 Black Condor, page from issue  Smash 31 with The Ray

That is getting pretty close to the bottom of the barrel.........There always is my current favorite art page that I kept....but that is for another day.  That is enough stuff for you guys......Thank you for letting me bore you......  (Yes I know this is not the art forum).  jb

AS TO THE"LOST LARSONS" HERE IS MY BLURB"

Epilogue

After my article came out in late 1994, Larson’s hometown newspaper in Nebraska asked if they could reprint it.  I naturally gave my permission.  About two weeks after the newspaper articles appeared, I received a letter from a boyhood friend of Larson’s (Larson had even been his best man.).  He had read with much interest my articles.  It prompted an old memory.  Recently, he had cleaned out his mother’s house and discovered a box of his old comics.  He remembered as a boy that Larson had given him comics after he was done with them.  Sure enough he found six books with “Lamont” or “Larson” on them.  He “wondered” if I “might” be interested in them.  MIGHT BE!  

As described none of the books sounded like they were in particularly good condition.  However, driven by curiosity and this incredible quirk of luck that these books even existed, I dickered over a price and purchased the books.   These books are, for the record, Smash Comics 8 (March 1940), Feature Comics 34 (July 1940), Minute Man Comics 2 (September 5- December 5, 1941), Super Mystery 2/4 (October 1941), Victory Comics 3 (November 1941) and Star Spangled Comics 2      (November 1941).  As testament to the uniqueness of the storage condition of the original collection,  the “lost Larsons” are of variable condition with none grading better than VG+ and none displaying the  page whiteness of the original collection.

These “lost Larsons” prompt several thoughts and observations.  There are, obviously, “Larsons” that were purchased after the September 1941 cover date.  However, it is clear that at this point Larson lost interest.  Of the six “lost Larsons” four are from the very end of his comic reading career.  The fact that he gave away the books is evidence of that.  He may have been more willing to part with his comicbooks at this point. However, since two of the books are from 1940, the “gaps” in the Larson collection may be attributed as much to the common boyhood trait of sharing books as to the possible distribution quirks of the comicbooks themselves.  The more intriguing question is if Larson gave away any other books.  Are there more “lost Larsons” out there waiting to be found?

Hello Jon,

lou_fine showed me some pics taken of your books in a PM thread (prior to the start of the CC auction) and I noticed one with a Detective 38. I am happy to have won your copy of Detective 29.

As I did not see the 38 go to auction, was wondering if you kept it or if it eventually will go to auction at a later stage.

Thank you.

- Peter

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hello Jon,

lou_fine showed me some pics taken of your books in a PM thread (prior to the start of the CC auction) and I noticed one with a Detective 38. I am happy to have won your copy of Detective 29.

As I did not see the 38 go to auction, was wondering if you kept it or if it eventually will go to auction at a later stage.

Thank you.

- Peter

The 29 is special book with a great cover..No I am on the bottom of the barrel with 'Tec books..........