• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

I assume that those dealers who "flipped" books from the Berks auction, weren't so much flipping, as filling long standing want list requests from existing customers (especially those who are internet/auction averse and thus wouldnt be bidding on the CC auction themselves). We're those resold books every actually listed for sale, or did they appear on the dealers site as sold from the onset (Im betting on this). Cause otherwise I dont understand why someone would have the internet knowhow to buy a book from a dealer's online marketplace, but lack the ability to bid in an auction. 

Unless the buyers were buying with dealer credit (thus meaning they couldnt actually bid on a book, but could buy it from the dealer with whom they had credit). 

Or the buyer was offline during the auction and asked the dealer to try to win on their behalf and then paid an agreed "markup"

Or any number of other scenarios... 

Lots of these larger dealer sites have "want list" functions, so they could have just as easily bid on books that they had multiple "wanters"for thinking they could then set the price they want and offer it to the 1 or more customers who had it on their want list. 

personally none of it bothers me, but it is entertaining to consider the various machinations. 

15 hours ago, the420kid1 said:

pretty annoyed to see all these Berk book arrive at dealers sites for double the price. I for one will not be making offers on any of them. I kind of knew I was bidding against flippers but the extent is fairly large. Talk about Sh$ting on the market....  Just my 2 cents

I cannot complain though since they pumped up the prices of my books. Dog eat dog.

I get even more annoyed when nondealers  outbid me on books and then keep them in their collections for a year or two and then offer them for sale for way more than they paid. Who do they think they are, dealers? More market Sh$ting if you ask me. 

41 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I get even more annoyed when nondealers  outbid me on books and then keep them in their collections for a year or two and then offer them for sale for way more than they paid. Who do they think they are, dealers? More market Sh$ting if you ask me. 

Finally, someone addressed the elephant in the room. Couldn't agree more.   :taptaptap:

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Hey! What if it's a month or two and you only charge a little more than you paid? 

I say those kinds of "nondealers" are pretty great. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

On 7/17/2017 at 5:20 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 7/17/2017 at 11:06 AM, lou_fine said:

It should be pointed out that I am not referring to the headlines grabbing highlight books here, but more so to the non-highlight run books of which there were just so many of quality in this auction here.

Thanks for pointing that out. 

Yes, Richard, as long standing board members here, I feel that we have both the duty and the responsibility to point out to the newbies and less experienced board members here that they should be staying away from mid-run books and especially for long dead titles if they really want to maintain the financial health of their pocket book.  After all, with great experience comes great responsibility.  (thumbsu

As a perfect example here, although we all know that you would stay far away from long and stone cold dead titles like the Fox Mystery Men run, we should also impart that same knowledge to the younger generation of collectors.  And in particular, a middle of the run forgotten book like Mystery Men 10 that nobody in today's comic collecting world has even heard of, let alone would want anywhere near their personal collection.   Why, I even heard rumors that a couple of the board members here might actually own the Larson and Allentown copies of this book.  Can you actually imagine that  :whatthe:  :whatthe:........especially in this day and age of forward thinking where covers such as this and its sister companion book, Mystery Men 11, should be clearly avoided due to its political incorrectness and racial overtones.  hm  :tonofbricks:

Instead, we should be looking forward towards the future and guiding the less experienced boardies here to resurging once hot classics like Adventures of the Big Boy 1 and to new rising and upcoming stars like Fatman the Human Flying Saucer because these will surely become the hot books of tomorrow.  hm   :flipbait:

With our sage collecting and investment advice here :preach:, your work is done for the day, so get out there and enjoy your well-earned break at the SD Con.  :headbang:

On 7/17/2017 at 6:59 PM, AllStar-Comics said:
On 7/15/2017 at 9:41 AM, lou_fine said:

I am starting to think that CGC was most likely leaning a bit towards the tight side when it came to grading Berk's books. 

From my small sample size of 6 comics I bought and received I tend to agree.  I'm going to get graders notes because I fail to see why some of the comics have the grades they do.  I tend to bid based on what i can see at least as much as the grade on the label but am pleasantly surprised

Looks like Steve Ritter would most definitely agree with you as many of the Berk books which he has resold on his site are graded slightly higher than what the grades assigned by CGC when first sold through CC.  A perfect example of this would be the Amazing-Man 21:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=713976&title=AMAZINGMAN COMICS

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=AmazingMan_21_12156

Even with the color touch now scrapped off in order to give the book its current unrestored condition status, the book was still able to touch on retaining its same 5.5 Fine - condition grade.  Looks like the color touch removal also helped in terms of the PQ status of the book.  More evidence that the Berk books were graded on the tight side, especially since Ritter is considered to be an awesome and very accurate grader by virtually all board members here.  hm

Interesting and also good to note that Ritter has now gone back in to add in the Jon Berk designation to these books since they were not there last week. This will certainly help with collectors who may want to maintain the provenance of these books.  (thumbsu

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Instead, we should be looking forward towards the future and guiding the less experienced boardies here to resurging once hot classics like Adventures of the Big Boy 1 and to new rising and upcoming stars like Fatman the Human Flying Saucer because these will surely become the hot books of tomorrow.

Valiant hologram covers :cloud9:

8 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I assume that those dealers who "flipped" books from the Berks auction, weren't so much flipping, as filling long standing want list requests from existing customers (especially those who are internet/auction averse and thus wouldnt be bidding on the CC auction themselves). We're those resold books every actually listed for sale, or did they appear on the dealers site as sold from the onset (Im betting on this). Cause otherwise I dont understand why someone would have the internet knowhow to buy a book from a dealer's online marketplace, but lack the ability to bid in an auction. 

Unless the buyers were buying with dealer credit (thus meaning they couldnt actually bid on a book, but could buy it from the dealer with whom they had credit). 

Or the buyer was offline during the auction and asked the dealer to try to win on their behalf and then paid an agreed "markup"

Or any number of other scenarios... 

Lots of these larger dealer sites have "want list" functions, so they could have just as easily bid on books that they had multiple "wanters"for thinking they could then set the price they want and offer it to the 1 or more customers who had it on their want list. 

personally none of it bothers me, but it is entertaining to consider the various machinations. 

All of the Berk books listed on the WorldWide site that I saw were available for sale when first listed.  I think some have since been sold. 

Initially, he wasn't identifying them as Berk books, although he appears to be doing so now.

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Hey! What if it's a month or two an hour or two and you only charge a little more than you paid? 

I say those kinds of "nondealers" are pretty great. 

FTFY :)

6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

With ebay auctions, board sales threads & being able to consign to auction houses, it would seem that everyone has become somewhat of a dealer. I can see how this would annoy an actual dealer, as things have drastically changed. No longer are collectors limited to only offering to dealers (or other collectors) when they upgrade or change collecting focus. It must be more challenging for actual dealers to acquire store & convention stock these days. I don't think it's anybody's business what someone paid for their book. If they put a sale price on it, that's their business. You told me that Ricky :)