• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw Grading
1 1

107 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Heres the scenario: inspect a book, assign it a grade, place it in a mylar, seal it with an "unbreakable" seal (ala DF seal), cut the wait time in half, charge a fiver for it.

Would you rather have that option alongside the traditional grading system?

Isn't it $10 over at the other guys?

I do not like the concept. First, I really like the new CGC slabs. They present well (I dislike the older thin ones with the sticker on the top) and offer a level of protection to the comic that I want.  A graded raw will change in grade after the first few ham-fisted people examine it to see if they want to buy. No, I will stick with the slab for $8 more (even less depending on your discount level).

also I don't see it being any different than a pre-screen......a raw is a raw and grade can change over time, plus there wouldn't be much differnce price wise in getting it graded (presumably) idk

Im gonna be the odd one (youre prolly used to it by now) and say, heck, why not..

It doesnt mean you're replacing the traditional way of grading books, just adding another tier. I can see how this would be effective for moderns and in a way, probably better for spec books you wouldnt care for much now.

How many modern non key slabs are out there on the market now which arent worth the the money, time & shipping of both sellers/buyers? Tons! That has a negative effect on the market. Now if you had the same books, with the same grade, without the case, I can see how more buyers would be inclined to purchase if the price was lower

Pre-cgc this would have been something I would have killed for. Now I too would just spend a few extra bucks for the slab. but I could see it working for people.

Edited by Bird

This is how BGS does it for hockey cards at shows. They basically grade the card but instead of slabbing it they put it in an inner well and place a tamper proof sticker on it with the "review" grade. This could work well for comics if they could make the case sturdy enough.

$_57.JPG $_57.JPG

Normally, it would look like this:

GretzkyRCBGS95a.jpg

Edited by Chadwick

If it were a $5 service I could see using it as a pre-screen service without having to send in the minimum number of books to request pre-screening.  From a consumer perspective even grade date wouldn't matter because the shipment back from the grader could negate the grade.  The whole concept seems pointless but I'm sure there are collectors who think it's a great idea.

I've always wondered about this idea, it sounds really good on the surface. But in reality, is this quick grade a basis for buying/selling-with-confidence? Or is it for personal knowledge of what the grade "really" is?

I think the current case system is a must to protect the book (even then no guarantees, "SCS"). Anything less would invite damage too easily, thus negating the grade.

But the whole idea of a third-party grading system is to help facilitate a neutral, objective assessment of a book's condition, most commonly for selling. In that case, the quick-grade and return in sealed mylar won't mean a thing once it's left the grader, as others in the thread have pointed out.

But still.... I keep coming back to wanting something along the lines of what the OP suggests - a quick-grade for PC-only books. I guess it comes down to cost. I still think the current CGC grade with slab is a pretty fair price, and with the new TATs, wow. This makes me really want to sub more books knowing I won't have to wait 3 months to get them back.

Good topic for discussion.

Here are some things to consider; Space, shipping, costs, fragility

In all the above cases, the sealed mylar has an advantage. While a case provides more protection, it has far greater risks to break when transporting/storing.

And we all know how effective a damaged slab is in terms of value.

And again, this is not to say that I would rather have an IH181 9.8 in a mylar as opposed to a protective case, but I wouldnt mind paying $5-10 for any high grade modern with little value. In fact, Im sure that any grading company would benefit from offering this service in terms of added business

Well if many folks who are currently submitting moderns would switch to this option, it would certainly clear out most of the bottlenecks at the slabbing machines for the more "delicate" GA/SA and even BA books.

Almost half of all books submitted for slabbing are less than 10 years old.

Edited by jcjames