• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR Relaunched (TBD)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

20th Century Fox Stills Plans On A Great Fantastic Four Movie

fantastic-four-movie-comic-comparison-23

The 2015 film was supposed to have a follow-up release for June 2017. But since it failed massively in the box office and in reviews, Fox scrapped its plans to do the sequel.

"I think we tried to make a darker Fantastic Four movie," producer Simon Kinberg said when he was asked why the previous film failed. "It seemed like a radical idea but we were kind of messing with the DNA of the actual comic instead of trusting the DNA of the comic." Kinberg, however, also expressed hope that another "Fantastic Four" movie will still find its way on the big screen someday.

"Hutch [Parker] and I were together on Fantastic Four, the most recent one. We love that cast. Obviously, the movie wasn't what we wanted it to be and it wasn't received the way we wanted it to be," executive producer (and co-writer) Simon Kinberg told ComicBook.com while promoting the upcoming release of Logan, the highly-anticipated (4.26 out of 5 stars, 4th on the ComicBook.com anticipation rankings) next Marvel offering from Fox.

The writer and producer, who has been working on all of Fox's Marvel movie properties in some capacity for the last few years (as well as working with Lucasfilm on the Star Wars franchise on both big and small screen, and many other genre products), says that Fox still plans on taking another shot at Fantastic Four, and they've fully realized the crux of where they went wrong: straying to far from the way the first family of Marvel Comics is presented on the page.

"Yes, we would love to make another Fantastic Four movie," Kinberg said. "We feel like there's a great Fantastic Four movie to be made and I think it would hue closer to the tone of the original, the source material, the comics, but we want to make that movie."

Edited by Bosco685

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Make it animated and for kids.   Make it "Silver Agey".   It'd be like printing $$$$$$

I would love to see a well-designed Fantastic Four movie (not 'The Incredibles' - though I love that movie). And I definitely agree on taking it back in time to the early roots. That would be - well - fantastic!

fantasticfour.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I would focus on the Thing and Human Torch  in the reboot. Stay away from Doctor Doom for awhile. Just go with the Moleman to start it off. 

Movie #1 - FF#1 (origin & moleman).  Take some parts from FF3 and give them the costumes too.  Tease Doom at the end. 

Movie #2 - Doom & Subby (combine 4/5/6) OR just Doom.   Intro the Inhumans here (to set up Movie 3).  

Movie #3 - Surfer/Galactus Trilogy. 

Movie #4 - Either 57-60 (Doom steals Surfer power) or continue the Surfer/Galactus stuff (72-77)

An animated version is the only way the FF will work, something along the lines the Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon before they revamped it into Avengers Assemble. I love the Fantastic Four and have a near complete run, but they haven’t aged well and even if it was a pure Marvel Production it would be a hard sell. Their powers and story just don’t translate well to live action.

17 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

An animated version is the only way the FF will work, something along the lines the Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon before they revamped it into Avengers Assemble. I love the Fantastic Four and have a near complete run, but they haven’t aged well and even if it was a pure Marvel Production it would be a hard sell. Their powers and story just don’t translate well to live action.

Agreed.   My movie "plan" above is based on it being animated (and for kids!).   The powers would work.  You could do the cosmic stuff, the negative zone, "worlds within worlds".  

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

Their powers and story just don’t translate well to live action.

This. There have been 4 Fantastic Four movies. 

At a certain point, you need to admit it's just not a property that a) translates well to the screen or b) with modern (as opposed to 1960s) audiences.

The only reasons I'd like to see the property sold (or leased) to Marvel is it will be hard to watch Infinity War without The Silver Surfer. Even if they bring in Warlock, Surfer's role was pivotal (and awesome).

I also like what could be done with Kang.

4 hours ago, Gatsby771 said:

The only reasons I'd like to see the property sold (or leased) to Marvel is it will be hard to watch Infinity War without The Silver Surfer. Even if they bring in Warlock, Surfer's role was pivotal (and awesome).

It would be nice if they could partner up with Marvel on this to allow Marvel to use Silver Surfer in Infinity War. This will generate the interest in Silver Surfer. Then Fox could go back and do a proper Silver Surfer origin movie with him on Zenn-La before Galactus comes. At the end of that movie, show him approaching Earth.

In the meantime, do a simple Fantastic Four movie...skip the origin...go straight into them having to save New York from the Mole Man (while Doom watches) and at the end of that movie is the fiery sky with the Watch and then show the Silver Surfer enter the atmosphere.

Therefore, the sequel to both movies is combined into one movie. The third involves Doom trying to take the Surfer's powers.

This way, instead of trying to directly re-introduce the FF, we are eased into them from a different angle...from the Surfer.

Edited by meeklo

5 hours ago, Darkowl said:

I just want to see a Silver Surfer movie. 

+1

They should make a Silver Surfer movie instead,and maybe they could re-introduce the FF in the Silver Surfer movies.

Do as someone suggested and base the Galactus Trilogy from the Silver Surfer`'s perspective. They can start it from Zenn-La.

My guess is that Fox may try to go the way of Marvel/Disney in that if they do an X-Men reboot they insert a character or 2 from the FF to see how they might be received. I cant see Fox putting up the money for another FF film without trying to build some anticipation for an expanded look at whoever they introduce, I would think Johnny Storm would fit in well with an X-Men movie, he partnered with plenty of them in MTU and in the title comic, they don't have to change his origin and make him a mutant or anything. they could tease the Thing by having him talk to the Torch on the phone in an after credit scene and then just show his hand hanging up the phone.

2 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

My guess is that Fox may try to go the way of Marvel/Disney in that if they do an X-Men reboot they insert a character or 2 from the FF to see how they might be received. I cant see Fox putting up the money for another FF film without trying to build some anticipation for an expanded look at whoever they introduce, I would think Johnny Storm would fit in well with an X-Men movie, he partnered with plenty of them in MTU and in the title comic, they don't have to change his origin and make him a mutant or anything. they could tease the Thing by having him talk to the Torch on the phone in an after credit scene and then just show his hand hanging up the phone.

Johnny Storm the Human Torch of the four translates best to film and modern audiences. Maybe they can do a solo Human Torch movie? 

I think they should do a period-piece movie set in the 1960s that has the team already established (yet still new) versus the Skrulls.  They defeat an invading Skrull attack force easily which causes the Skrulls to develop their own "super-soldier" to defeat the FF.  Super Skrull is the final set piece/battle.

I think there have be elements, scant elements, but elements nonetheless, in all the previous movies that have worked.  I certainly wouldn't generalize to say that Fantastic Four wouldn't work on the screen.  I mean, if people had just watched the Joel Schumacker Batman movies they might have concluded that Batman would never work on screen.  FF just needs to be done right.  Someone will crack the code.  Certainly the easiest answer is that Marvel would be able to do it, either by themself or in a shared partnership (a la Spider-Man).  But somehow, someway... a movie can be made.

For those who, like me, managed to watch the most recent movie from start to finish (on HBO, not in the theater.. of course)... as bad as that movie was it's hard not to acknowledge that a) the cast of the four was pretty strong, and just let down by the movie itself, and b) in terms of showing their powers on the screen, they seemed a lot less cartoony than they had in the previous two movies.   So all I'm saying is... there's hope.