• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANTASTIC FOUR Relaunched (TBD)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2017 at 3:42 PM, Gatsby771 said:

This. There have been 4 Fantastic Four movies. 

At a certain point, you need to admit it's just not a property that a) translates well to the screen or b) with modern (as opposed to 1960s) audiences.

The only reasons I'd like to see the property sold (or leased) to Marvel is it will be hard to watch Infinity War without The Silver Surfer. Even if they bring in Warlock, Surfer's role was pivotal (and awesome).

I also like what could be done with Kang.

It isn't that the property doesn't translate well to the screen or to modern audiences.  Crappy directors. production and scripts are to blame.  My teen daughter and her friends were intrigued to see the Trank FF film when it hit theatres.  From the previews they liked what they saw.  Of course, they thought the movie reeked.  Get FF to Marvel Studios and we will witness magic.  Look at GOTG.  GOTG proves that a group of in-fighting, completely unknown heroes ("who??") running around in space, done correctly, is accepted by modern audiences.  Much of the high-points in the FF Lee/Kirby and FF Byrne runs took place in space/Negative Zone.

Edited by zosocane

1 hour ago, TheLiamSturgess said:

They honestly just need to put the right people in charge. Ryan Reynolds, Tim Miller and James Mangold are examples of those people. Josh Trank was not.

The Franchise Grandma (Lauren Shuler Donner) seems to be listening to this approach much more now after the success of Deadpool. Not sure if she has any say with the Fantastic Four property.

The Woman Behind the X-Men Reveals How the Mutants Got Their Groove Back

Lauren Shuler Donner, the producer who helped Twentieth Century Fox snap up the film rights to the X-Men characters 23 years ago, is the first to admit that her very financially lucrative franchise has had a few creative rough patches.

“Just forget about X-3. And the first Wolverine [Origins]? Forget about that too,” she laughingly said during a red-carpet interview in 2014.

“We cannot, once again, explore the Erik/Charles dynamic,” Shuler Donner said in a late-February conversation with Vanity Fair, about the intense frenemyship between Magneto and Professor X that has driven the bulk of the franchise over the past 17 years. The producer says this brave new Charles-and-Erik-less world is “both liberating and makes me nervous—it’s mostly liberating.” Charles and Erik are “always essential” to X-Men—but, she admits, “there are other stories to tell.”

Shuler Donner already had a successful, multi-decade career as a producer in Hollywood before Charles Xavier’s School for Gifted Children was even a glint in her eye. (She’s fond of mentioning that she gave Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige his first job, as her intern.) But after a string of hits in the 80s and 90s, like Mr. Mom, Ladyhawke, St. Elmo’s Fire, Pretty in Pink, the Free Willy franchise, and You’ve Got Mail, someone in Donner’s office put the X-Men comics in front of her. Though she didn’t grow up with the characters, the seasoned storyteller could smell potential; long before Marvel Studios launched, Shuler Donner alongside Avi Arad and Stan Lee, helped Twentieth Century Fox lock down an entire multiverse of mutants. Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man hadn’t even slung his first web for Sony Pictures when Shuler Donner, director Bryan Singer, and Fox took a big gamble on a pair of British thespians and an unknown Australian actor to lead 2000’s X-Men. “We thought, ‘That’s it, we’ll never work again,‘ ” Shuler Donner has said. But that gamble paid off—big time.

Leave Dr. Doom out whatever movie comes next.  Reference him or tease him at the end, but leave him out of the core plot.

And for the love of Stan Lee, PLEASE don't do the origin story again.  At the start of the movie, they should already be powered and in their routine.  This movie should just be one in a long line of adventures they have.  Remember, the Fantastic Four fancy themselves adventurers more than superheroes. 

You don't HAVE to do an origin story every time you want to reboot things.  Spider-man was done well in Civil War and I'm very excited about the upcoming Homecoming movie.  No origin story was necessary.  The same with Ed Norton's Incredible Hulk.  I know some had problems with it, but those problems were never "I had no idea where Hulk came from or what was going on".  An origin is not necessary for a reboot.  :sumo:

4 hours ago, Turtle said:

Leave Dr. Doom out whatever movie comes next.  Reference him or tease him at the end, but leave him out of the core plot.

And for the love of Stan Lee, PLEASE don't do the origin story again.  At the start of the movie, they should already be powered and in their routine.  This movie should just be one in a long line of adventures they have.  Remember, the Fantastic Four fancy themselves adventurers more than superheroes. 

You don't HAVE to do an origin story every time you want to reboot things.  Spider-man was done well in Civil War and I'm very excited about the upcoming Homecoming movie.  No origin story was necessary.  The same with Ed Norton's Incredible Hulk.  I know some had problems with it, but those problems were never "I had no idea where Hulk came from or what was going on".  An origin is not necessary for a reboot.  :sumo:

I couldn't agree more!

I like what they did with Ed Norton's Hulk and squeeze the origin in the opening credits...if they do another FF reboot, this is the route they should go, this way we can see glimpses of the heroes becoming a family without having to sit through it for half a movie again.

I'm still a big fan of them getting rebooted through Silver Surfer. Give us a proper Silver Surfer and the FF will come with him.

14 hours ago, meeklo said:

I like what they did with Ed Norton's Hulk and squeeze the origin in the opening credits...if they do another FF reboot, this is the route they should go, this way we can see glimpses of the heroes becoming a family without having to sit through it for half a movie again.

I'm on board with this.  (thumbsu

Edited by Turtle

Well, we know who won't be playing Doctor Doom.

DOCTOR STRANGE Actor Mads Mikkelsen Was Up For Role In FANTASTIC FOUR, But Walked Out Of His Audition

149668.jpg

People have been fan-casting Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal, Doctor Strange, Rogue One) as Doctor Doom for years now, and it appears he may have come closer to playing the villain than we realized.

During an interview with ShortList, the actor admitted that he auditioned for a role in Josh Trank's disastrous 2015 reboot of Fantastic Four (he doesn't specify which character, but we're going to assume it was Doom until we're told otherwise... okay?), and realizing half-way through it that it felt "wrong."

"I think I walked out on the Fantastic Four [audition]. I think I actually said, “I can’t do it. It’s not about you, I’m sorry, this is wrong.” I’ve had tons of them. We’ve all been there. We all show up and it’s a little office room with a desk and some books and they want you to do a scene where you have two lines – maybe not even two lines – maybe just “Bleurgh!” or “Get back!” And you’re hiding behind a palm tree that’s not there. It’s like, “Guys, couldn’t you have picked a different kind of scene to this? This is [frick]ing mad.” You feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Like someone posted in the comments...

giphy.gif

Kevin Feige Updates Marvel And Fox's Fantastic Four Relationship

Unlike Spider-Man who came over to the Marvel Studios from Sony beginning with Captain America: Civil War, the Fantastic Four won't be making the jump any time soon. When asked by Collider whether or not Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox are in any sort of talks for a collaboration involving the characters, Feige firmly rules out the possibility. 

"No, but I would say there’s not like there’s anything frozen that there needs to be a thaw," Feige said. "There’s no weirdness. It is just very very cut and dry, and they’re doing their thing, and they’re doing it quite well in most regards, and we’re doing our thing."

In fact, 20th Century Fox is still planning on making another Fantastic Four movie according to ComicBook.com's chat with executive producer Simon Kinberg around the time of Logan's release earlier this year.

"Hutch [Parker] and I were together on Fantastic Four, the most recent one," Kinberg said. "We love that cast. Obviously, the movie wasn't what we wanted it to be and it wasn't received the way we wanted it to be."

"Yes, we would love to make another Fantastic Four movie," Kinberg said. "We feel like there's a great Fantastic Four movie to be made and I think it would hue closer to the tone of the original, the source material, the comics, but we want to make that movie."

Marvel Studios Has ‘No Plans’ For Fantastic Four

fantasticfourlogo_ar8.jpg

Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige has shot-down the idea of working out a deal with Fox, even one akin to the one made with Sony for Spider-Man. Still, many have continued hoping Marvel will get the characters back, even the actor who played Doctor Doom in the failed film. While Feige hopes to one day get back the rights to all of Marvel’s characters, that won’t be happening anytime soon.

Newsarama (via AlloCiné) have word straight from Feige himself, stating there are currently no plans or talks regarding the Fantastic Four joining the MCU.

“[We have] no plans with the Fantastic Four right now. No discussions about it.”

That said, many within the Marvel world are eager to take a crack at the Fantastic Four and their pantheon. Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson has said he’d love for Marvel to regain the rights, while Guardians of the Galaxy writer/director James Gunn has long hoped to use one of the team’s central villains in a film.

RUMOR: New FANTASTIC FOUR Movie In Development At Fox; Will Have Kid-Friendly Slant

fantstic_four_reboot_franklin.jpg

According to Bleeding Cool, 20th Century Fox has Seth Grahame-Smith working on a new treatment for yet another Fantastic Four movie.  As every comic book fan knows by this point, Fox must keep producing Fantastic Four movies if they want to hold on to their film rights.  As such, the studio is reportedly going to try one more time after two scorned attempts, including Josh Trank's ill conceived 2015 reboot.

The new wrinkle according to BC is that Fox is now looking at making a Fantastic Four kid-friendly movie  that's similar in concept to The Incredibles.  They specifically add that their sources tell them that the new story will be told through the eyes of the children of Mister Fantastic and the Invisible Woman - Franklin and Valeria Richards.

On 6/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

According to Bleeding Cool, 20th Century Fox has Seth Grahame-Smith working on a new treatment for yet another Fantastic Four movie.  As every comic book fan knows by this point, Fox must keep producing Fantastic Four movies if they want to hold on to their film rights.  As such, the studio is reportedly going to try one more time after two scorned attempts, including Josh Trank's ill conceived 2015 reboot.

The new wrinkle according to BC is that Fox is now looking at making a Fantastic Four kid-friendly movie  that's similar in concept to The Incredibles.  They specifically add that their sources tell them that the new story will be told through the eyes of the children of Mister Fantastic and the Invisible Woman - Franklin and Valeria Richards.

NO NO NO!

Good lord, they STILL don't get it!  Dammit!  More freakin' wasted time!!!