• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SERIAL LOBBY CARDS
2 2

41 posts in this topic

This thread is about those thrilling days of yesteryear, when Saturdays were ruled by "B" western double features, short subjects, cartoons and best of all serial chapters.  Alas, I don't have memories of any of this because it was well before my time, but it's not hard to imagine the excitement kids must've had anticipating each week's cliffhanger resolution leading to the next unsurvivable peril.  My ulterior motive in posting this now is to alert fellow GA fans to the forthcoming 4K mastered release of one of Republic's greatest classics to Blu-ray on April 25th, ...Daredevils of The Red Circle!

1ec189f8-0c18-4ef0-82a5-ffaa22aa60ff_zps

If you like serials, this is a good place to start.  Monstrous plots notwithstanding, if this thread develops I'll post a few more from my collection.  :shy:  

Edited by Cat-Man_America

11 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

This thread is about those thrilling days of yesteryear, when Saturdays were ruled by "B" western double features, short subjects, cartoons and best of all serial chapters.  Alas, I don't have memories of any of this because it was well before my time, but it's not hard to imagine the excitement kids must've had anticipating each week's cliffhanger resolution leading to the next unsurvivable peril.  My ulterior motive in posting this now is to alert fellow GA fans to the forthcoming 4K mastered release of one of Republic's greatest classics to Blu-ray on April 25th, ...Daredevils of The Red Circle!

1ec189f8-0c18-4ef0-82a5-ffaa22aa60ff_zps

If you like serials, this is a good place to start.  Monstrous plots notwithstanding, if this thread develops I'll post a few more from my collection.  :shy:  

Post, man, post!

Yep, post away.  I am a serial fanatic.  Have a ton of 60s and 70s fanzines on the serials plus many hardcovers.  Although worthless, I also have a collection of countless serials I bought on VHS.  And a small smattering of lobby cards as well.

Throw out some Buster Crabbe, Tom Tyler, Bela Lugosi...

By the way I picked a copy of A Job for Superman by Kirk Alyn.  The copy is signed by Alyn - don't have a scan of mine but for those who have not seen the book - here is a pic of the front cover.

image.jpg

15 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

A 4k restoration of a serial? I'm there!

No serial cards, but I have some from the feature films that probably played after the chapter play.XtfNXH.jpgXkQr0j.jpg

Very cool lobby cards. 

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

A 4k restoration of a serial? I'm there!

Yep! Paramount must've mastered this early classic Republic serial from the best surviving elements (negative or fine grain 35mm print) for KINO-Lorber's release in April.  Republic's archived films and serials have apparently survived in better shape than other studios which is spectacular news for fans of the genre since many of there serials are regarded as the very best produced.

e28369a9-f204-46c9-8155-5777426b26d4_zps

This bodes well for their next Republic, The Adventures of Captain Marvel ... :martini:

17 minutes ago, Ameri said:

Great book from 1972 on the subject

+1  Absolutely! That's a well respected early book on the topic.  

Speaking of great books, here's the Holy Grail of serial books...

2b97bfd9-3e49-42f7-9adb-9f7f7b1bf031_zps

This self-published ode to Republic's legacy is from '75, by late serial fan/ad exec Jack Mathis.

31 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

That is cool. Was it a premium from the book publisher?

I believe it was given to kids at the theatres when they went to watch the serials. There are two I know of. One for the "Drums of Fu Manchu" and this one for the "Shadow of Fu Manchu" just different lettering.

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I'm afraid my selection of Lobby Cards is rather limited... All I've got is a set of 8 from the original release of Bridge on the River Kwai.  I'll see if I can get a picture of them after ECCC.

Well, I don't have that many myself.  I'm a big serial fan, but never seriously got into film memorabilia.  Wish I'd collected more of'em now though.  

Here is one of the last serial cards from my collection, and it's a rare one.  This Mascot serial from 1930 featured a major actor in the credits ...but not on this card... and obviously none of these folks.  The actor would be famous within two years, but is second billed and only listed on some cards.  hm

17083e95-004c-4ad4-8538-b8e0ac036e8b_zps

...Yes, I'm toying with folks to see if anyone can figure out who without looking the actor up.  :whistle:

3 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Here is one of the last serial cards from my collection, and it's a rare one.  This Mascot serial from 1930 featured a major actor in the credits ...but not on this card... and obviously none of these folks.  The actor would be famous within two years, but is second billed and only listed on some cards.  hm

I almost thought that was him on this card for a minute but he wears a different thawb in it.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:44 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

As you wish... fumanchu.jpg

c08f8036-375c-4961-a653-c88a1b638c61_zps

Ahhh Henry Brandon. Barnaby in Laurel and Hardy's March of the Wooden Soldiers aka Babes in Toyland and Our Gang Follies of 1938 among other things. He used to attend Sons of the Desert Laurel and Hardy conventions.