• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 28 CGC 9.0 on Comiclink!!??
2 2

12 posts in this topic

What the hell? When did a 9.0 start to sell for over $4K? I can only imagine it's because of the white pages and the fact it presents nicer. Maybe bidders feel CGC got this one wrong, but can't see back cover so tough to know. It looks like a 9.2, but maybe there's tanning on the back cover. Either way, I've never seen a 9.0 sell for this much, with time left to go.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bspiderman%2B28%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1159750&id=1159750

There were 2 9.0's available on the exchange one of which has been sold in the last day as I know it was for sale either yesterday or the day before.  Storms just sold his 9.0 within the last few days.  Because of this auction pretty much anything 8.5 and above has been scooped up.  If not its because the asking price ridiculous.  The whole thing seems a bit strange to me.  I don't understand why someone would double down on a 9.0 when there were multiple available for half that during the start of the auction.

Edited by comicquant

I see that the 9.0 on ComicLink is the John Fantucchio copy.  It's a really sweet looking copy, and my guess is there are those who think the book is undergraded in its present holder.

8 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I see that the 9.0 on ComicLink is the John Fantucchio copy.  It's a really sweet looking copy, and my guess is there are those who think the book is undergraded in its present holder.

No the 9.0 is just a random copy. There's an 8.5 on the auction which is the John Fantucchio copy as seen here: http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bspiderman%2B28%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1159369&id=1159369

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Oops.  Thanks for the fix.  You've got to admit that the 9.0 copy is really nice, and wouldn't be shocking in a slab with a higher numerical grade on it.

13 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Oops.  Thanks for the fix.  You've got to admit that the 9.0 copy is really nice, and wouldn't be shocking in a slab with a higher numerical grade on it.

No I agree 100%! That's the only reason I can imagine it's currently going for soo much. It is an exceptionally well presenting 9.0, and on top of that white pages! The John Fantucchio copy has white pages as well, but I feel like it presents for it's grade of 8.5.

7 hours ago, Diamonddave said:

I count 4 color breaking creases on the spine, color loss at both the top and bottom corners on the spine and the lower right corner has a color breaking crease. No way that is going to upgrade.

It's most likely one of two things.

1) the Molten Man is being speculated on for movie rights

2) someone thinks the book is going to upgrade.

3rd possibility is that someone is just overpaying because two people want the same book but I don't understand why when it's not a rare book in that range.

As far as the color breaking creases, it can be really tough to tell whether a book is undergraded from just a scan. In my experience, especially on black covers scans can make books look worse than they really are.