• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC re submit for Cleaning, pressing and retain yellow label

11 posts in this topic

I have a Secret Wars #8 yellow label. Certified at a 8.5

My question is:

Can I get CGC to crack open the slab, clean, press and resubmit and still keep the yellow label? (hopefully to get a bump in grade)

thanks for reading

1 hour ago, Ray_Nazario said:

I have a Secret Wars #8 yellow label. Certified at a 8.5

My question is:

Can I get CGC to crack open the slab, clean, press and resubmit and still keep the yellow label? (hopefully to get a bump in grade)

thanks for reading

If it is cracked by CCS or CGC they will maintain the SS status.  They will not however, guarantee that the book will receive the same or higher grade if any damage happens to the book during the cracking process. So in theory the grade could drop.  It will be graded as if nobody had ever graded the book before. 

make SURE to take a picture of the book ahead of time ---- I sent in a SS - almost received a universal on back. CGC took care of it - but having a picture with the sig placement and cert number helped, I am sure.....

16 hours ago, Ray_Nazario said:

For me it's worth it! It's the first comic that I ever had graded and sign. So for me it has a value. Not everyone does this hobby for the profits

Understand, but if the book is a sentimental keeper, why would a grade nudge make any difference ? Also, to some collectors, like myself, a clean and press takes away the originality of the book. I've had many books pressed and I've learned to leave the keepers alone. Sometimes the book just doesn't look the same.  The 'alignment' may change, the signature ink may smear, staples tears may be introduced, heck even the placement in the new slab may look off. For OCD collectors like myself, if you like the look of the keeper book you have in hand, leave it alone.

18 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Understand, but if the book is a sentimental keeper, why would a grade nudge make any difference ? Also, to some collectors, like myself, a clean and press takes away the originality of the book. I've had many books pressed and I've learned to leave the keepers alone. Sometimes the book just doesn't look the same.  The 'alignment' may change, the signature ink may smear, staples tears may be introduced, heck even the placement in the new slab may look off. For OCD collectors like myself, if you like the look of the keeper book you have in hand, leave it alone.

Personally I think you sent the books to the wrong presser, a well pressed book will not look pressed other than no pressable defects found.

24 minutes ago, MastrCntrlProgram said:

Personally I think you sent the books to the wrong presser, a well pressed book will not look pressed other than no pressable defects found.

I have no desire to debate the pressing issues. My advice is simply if he likes the book as is, why mess with it. Anything can happen. We see posts all the time about this book didn't have this corner ding when sent in, this book is rippling in the slab,etc. etc. etc.

45 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I have no desire to debate the pressing issues. My advice is simply if he likes the book as is, why mess with it. Anything can happen. We see posts all the time about this book didn't have this corner ding when sent in, this book is rippling in the slab,etc. etc. etc.

I understand that point, and if it was my book I would just leave it. As far as anything happening, almost every choice invites risk. ;)

On 2017-03-06 at 10:49 PM, W16227 said:

make SURE to take a picture of the book ahead of time ---- I sent in a SS - almost received a universal on back. CGC took care of it - but having a picture with the sig placement and cert number helped, I am sure.....

This is important for several reasons.
ALWAYS Take pictures of your books before submitting them to CGC.

Edited by Comicbookscalping