• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Already looking ahead to the next HA auction.  Middleton Nyx #3 certainly grabs my attention.   X23  popularity has grown quite a bit.  

Link

It has seemed like most of that popularity was speculatively driven, but I do think the cover should do quite well. I wonder if it would have done better prior to the release of the new Logan movie though.

If the original cover art for NYX #3 and NYX #4 sold within a year of each other, it wouldn't surprise me if #4 matched or exceeded the final hammer price of #3.

I'll certainly be following the auction.

Middleton's work on that series was beautiful. Especially his groundbreaking color work whose impact is still seen in comics today.

Is the scan up? I'm guessing this cover is the epitome of the kind of piece old-school OA collectors snub their noses at.

3 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Middleton's work on that series was beautiful. Especially his groundbreaking color work whose impact is still seen in comics today.

Is the scan up? I'm guessing this cover is the epitome of the kind of piece old-school OA collectors snub their noses at.

No not yet.  I wonder if the provenance helps the price a bit.  Basically it's going from Joshua Middleton's Pencil to Craig Kyle (the "creator" of X-23) to the winner.  

58 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

No not yet.  I wonder if the provenance helps the price a bit.  Basically it's going from Joshua Middleton's Pencil to Craig Kyle (the "creator" of X-23) to the winner.  

So Craig Kyle is the current owner/cosigner?

5 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

That's my understanding yes.

That's interesting. Yeah, I wouldn't know how the provence would affect the value. It may work in Kyle's favor to photograph the art hanging in his office and post it online. That might stir some emotional bidding. I don't know what Middleton's process is, but I'm dying to know how the artwork looks like. I mean if it was just a pencil piece, that might affect the final hammer price more on the lower end regardless of provenance. 

3 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

That's interesting. Yeah, I wouldn't know how the provence would affect the value. It may work in Kyle's favor to photograph the art hanging in his office and post it online. That might stir some emotional bidding. I don't know what Middleton's process is, but I'm dying to know how the artwork looks like. I mean if it was just a pencil piece, that might affect the final hammer price more on the lower end regardless of provenance. 

I don't really see the owner having an impact here - I mean, it isn't as if the authenticity of the piece is in question (shrug)

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't really see the owner having an impact here - I mean, it isn't as if the authenticity of the piece is in question (shrug)

If provenance does have an effect, it's a tiny slice of why someone would bid high. No one is questioning the authenticity; I think jaybuck's point is that the piece has been pretty much in the hands of the creators all this time and the winner will be up there with "the royalty." It's kind of like buying the house that Frank Sinantra lived in.  But I'll restate, I have no idea how the original looks like and if it's an all pencil piece that's going to have a bigger influence than "provenance."

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

6 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

...I don't know what Middleton's process is, but I'm dying to know how the artwork looks like. I mean if it was just a pencil piece, that might affect the final hammer price more on the lower end regardless of provenance. 

I used to own a couple interiors from the series.

It is likely a pencil piece with no lettering and little-to-no background. His lines are beautiful and clean for sure, but a lot of the magic of the published imagery was achieved digitally.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:53 PM, J.Sid said:

The Scan is up. 

11 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

That's pretty nice, the concept pieces that come with it are a great addition. I will throw out my guess at around 60k(50k for the cover 10k for the concepts)

$60,000 ?  :o

I'll take the under on that one. 

I get all of the pluses:

- first cover appearance (?)

- popular character

- it's wolverine, but a hot girl instead so it's o.k. for me to lust over it, as long as she is 18+

- new to market and all that

but $60k?  :popcorn:

29 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

$60,000 ?  :o

I'll take the under on that one. 

I get all of the pluses:

- first cover appearance (?)

- popular character

- it's wolverine, but a hot girl instead so it's o.k. for me to lust over it, as long as she is 18+

- new to market and all that

but $60k?  :popcorn:

GGA + 1st App. + Wolverine collectors and the fact that this has to be a grail for a lot of collectors and I think it comes close.

8 minutes ago, malvin said:

i'll take the under too.  I don't even think it will crack $20K ( was going to say 10 but wanted to be safe)

Malvin

:whatthe: There is no way on Earth this doesn't break $20k.