• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I am hereby tendering my resignation from this hobby, effective tomorrow morning!! :mad:

I will likely have un-resigned by the afternoon, though, considering I have some Heritage bids still outstanding. hm

Sounds fishy, I think we need to bring in a special prosecutor.

26 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I am hereby tendering my resignation from this hobby, effective tomorrow morning!! :mad:

I will likely have un-resigned by the afternoon, though, considering I have some Heritage bids still outstanding. hm

I'm too scared to look at what I wrote I would do if this exceeds 20k, I wrote something... 

Malvin

Just now, malvin said:

I'm too scared to look at what I wrote I would do if this exceeds 20k, I wrote something... 

Malvin

I think you're meant to find a tasty hat to eat...hm

On 4/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, SquareChaos said:

For those that don't collect moderns or follow some of the insanity - the prevailing notion is that the practice of slabbing books has made those with desirable covers (whatever that entails across the entire spectrum) more desirable and collectible than ever since all you can see of a slabbed book is the cover anyway. So now if a book comes out with a hot cover the price skyrockets. Typically it's a blip and becomes relatively worthless within a few weeks or months, but for the covers that maintain over time, that type of price is not out of the norm. This book isn't even 'really' a key.

Also, Tec 880 actually made CBR's list of the top 25 most important issues of Tec ever published lol

It's the same with Golden age books. Certain hot covers like Startling 49 have skyrocketed.

On 3/10/2017 at 1:26 PM, malvin said:

I might have to eat my shorts, but to put a controversial line, I'm decreasing my previous line of 20K to 12K and take the under.

Malvin

PS I won't eat my shorts if it is over.. 

Whew, you're safe Malvin.  The PS saved you.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, malvin said:

How about this, if it goes over 12K, I will GIVE you one piece of art from my collection, but my choice :) (and maybe after you receive it you will understand why - :nyah:)

We can always discuss an FMV purchase, but many pieces in my collection are not for sale, so hopefully one of the ones that drive you jealous is for sale.

Malvin

Ooops, you kept on posting and now owe NinjaSealed some art! 

Who's going to fess up to buying this or running it up as the underbidder?  Really want to know if it was just the usual suspects or if there really is a groundswell of demand from a younger, more Modern-oriented crowd like some are speculating.  I just find it a little hard to believe that someone would make the jump from collecting CGC 9.8-10 Moderns and sketch covers to spending $71.7K on a piece like this without being on anybody's radar.  

You'd think, based on previous bidding history on other items, that The Vacuum and Fish would have been involved, at least at lower levels (whether either/both took it to the end, I have no knowledge about).  Who else?  Adam/Filter81?  Matt E.?  Not sure if those guys would be into something like this or not.  I'd rule out the BSDs who largely stick to Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper - it would be a surprise to learn that one of them went this far to get something out of their wheelhouse.  The price would surely rule out a dealer unless buying on behalf of a client (Hugh Jackman?  LOL...)  I've heard about at least one guy paying up for newer art, but, this would be a big step up from where he's been buying as far as I know.  The underbidder was a phone bidder - anyone can bid by phone, but, in my experience, people who bid by phone are those old hands who know what they're doing; would be surprised if that person was a newbie Modern crossover guy.  

Anyway, just idle speculation given that The Cabal rejected my letter of resignation from the hobby this morning. lol 

1 hour ago, Doc McCoy said:

Ooops, you kept on posting and now owe NinjaSealed some art! 

I hear the piece he had in mind is an original Malvin V. pin-up. :eek: 

Edited by delekkerste

1 minute ago, Doc McCoy said:

stick_figure_super_hero_gif_by_imightbea

Heh. I was thinking originally some sort of free doodle I got, but I can in fact choose a hand drawn published comic art from my collection to send 

Just confirm first that you really want it and it will be on its way! 

Just remember thst there is a reason why I chose it :p

Malvin 

56 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Who's going to fess up to buying this or running it up as the underbidder?  Really want to know if it was just the usual suspects or if there really is a groundswell of demand from a younger, more Modern-oriented crowd like some are speculating.  I just find it a little hard to believe that someone would make the jump from collecting CGC 9.8-10 Moderns and sketch covers to spending $71.7K on a piece like this without being on anybody's radar.  

You'd think, based on previous bidding history on other items, that The Vacuum and Fish would have been involved, at least at lower levels (whether either/both took it to the end, I have no knowledge about).  Who else?  Adam/Filter81?  Matt E.?  Not sure if those guys would be into something like this or not.  I'd rule out the BSDs who largely stick to Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper - it would be a surprise to learn that one of them went this far to get something out of their wheelhouse.  The price would surely rule out a dealer unless buying on behalf of a client (Hugh Jackman?  LOL...)  I've heard about at least one guy paying up for newer art, but, this would be a big step up from where he's been buying as far as I know.  The underbidder was a phone bidder - anyone can bid by phone, but, in my experience, people who bid by phone are those old hands who know what they're doing; would be surprised if that person was a newbie Modern crossover guy.  

Anyway, just idle speculation given that The Cabal rejected my letter of resignation from the hobby this morning. lol 

It wasnt me i was prepared to go to 30K . 71.7 wow  what would my NM#98 cover bring at auction this is getting really nutty

fyi Gene I was a buyer on batman adventures #12 at $100k 3 years ago :) if it turns up lmk

28 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I hereby declare that my entire collection is now officially for sale at corresponding Nyx #3 adjusted prices.  Come one and come all.  Accepting private pm's now. And no buyers premiums, so there's that.

Scott

You just need to convince Fox to get Omega Red in a movie Scott!  It's the one piece of the puzzle that's holding your X-Men #4 back! :baiting:

You made the call, NinjaSealed. Well done. 

Geez, if the price made Mr. Tfish say What The...? Only two people saw that coming. 

I guess we haven't seen the end of crazy. 

1 hour ago, tfish said:

It wasnt me i was prepared to go to 30K . 71.7 wow  what would my NM#98 cover bring at auction this is getting really nutty

fyi Gene I was a buyer on batman adventures #12 at $100k 3 years ago :) if it turns up lmk

Good to know, and yeah I think BA12 would blow the doors off this puppy.    I think the price would start with a 2 (although its easy for me to spend YOUR money :insane: so to speak)

Edited by Bronty