• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

Good to know, and yeah I think BA12 would blow the doors off this puppy.    I think the price would start with a 2 (although its easy for me to spend YOUR money :insane: so to speak)

What?  $200K+ for BA 12???  If BA 12 is $200K+, how much is NM 98?  $500K+?   

I agree that BA 12 is waaaaaaay better than NYX 3, sure.  That said, McSpidey 1 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than ASM 328 and yet it fetched not much more than half the price, so I don't think that BA12 necessarily blows the doors off of this totally absurd NYX 3 price.  The transitive property fails often when you throw outlier/bubble prices into the mix.    

Edited by delekkerste

11 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Good to know, and yeah I think BA12 would blow the doors off this puppy.    I think the price would start with a 2 (although its easy for me to spend YOUR money :insane: so to speak)

I'm not totally convinced that BA12 would exceed NYX3.  The cover is more adult oriented, unlike BA12.   Also factoring movie character portrayal (SS vs. Logan) may go a longer way than previously thought.

On 3/9/2017 at 3:58 PM, Matches_Malone said:

I personally don't see it going over 20k.   John Byrnes Sabretooth first appearance was just under 20k?

When you start comparing other first appearances or even far more established/superior artists' results to this one, it really puts into perspective just how nutty the final price was. :preach: 

44 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

What?  $200K+ for BA 12???  If BA 12 is $200K+, how much is NM 98?  $500K+?   

I agree that BA 12 is waaaaaaay better than NYX 3, sure.  That said, McSpidey 1 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than ASM 328 and yet fetched not much more than half the price, so I don't think that BA12 necessarily blows the doors off of this totally absurd NYX 3 price.  The transitive property fails often when you throw outlier/bubble prices into the mix.    

I know what you're saying about comps and I agree... I'm just very bullish on how BA12 would do, completely separate and apart from any discussion of NYX3.

And no, I don't think NM98 would do 500k+.    For one thing, Fish is out by virtue of the fact he's already the owner.

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, malvin said:

Heh. I was thinking originally some sort of free doodle I got, but I can in fact choose a hand drawn published comic art from my collection to send 

Just confirm first that you really want it and it will be on its way! 

Just remember thst there is a reason why I chose it :p

Malvin 

No reason to waste good money shipping bleh art! (Unless it is Batman of course becauseBatman can never be bleh)

Just remember me if the time ever comes to move some of that NFS art. :wink:

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Who's going to fess up to buying this or running it up as the underbidder?  Really want to know if it was just the usual suspects or if there really is a groundswell of demand from a younger, more Modern-oriented crowd like some are speculating.  I just find it a little hard to believe that someone would make the jump from collecting CGC 9.8-10 Moderns and sketch covers to spending $71.7K on a piece like this without being on anybody's radar.  

You'd think, based on previous bidding history on other items, that The Vacuum and Fish would have been involved, at least at lower levels (whether either/both took it to the end, I have no knowledge about).  Who else?  Adam/Filter81?  Matt E.?  Not sure if those guys would be into something like this or not.  I'd rule out the BSDs who largely stick to Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper - it would be a surprise to learn that one of them went this far to get something out of their wheelhouse.  The price would surely rule out a dealer unless buying on behalf of a client (Hugh Jackman?  LOL...)  I've heard about at least one guy paying up for newer art, but, this would be a big step up from where he's been buying as far as I know.  The underbidder was a phone bidder - anyone can bid by phone, but, in my experience, people who bid by phone are those old hands who know what they're doing; would be surprised if that person was a newbie Modern crossover guy.  

Anyway, just idle speculation given that The Cabal rejected my letter of resignation from the hobby this morning. lol 

The winner may stay in the dark. These new collectors are out there, they just have very different buying/collecting habits, which probably has had them off the radar for the most part. 

Just now, NinjaSealed said:

The winner may stay in the dark. These new collectors are out there, they just have very different buying/collecting habits, which probably has had them off the radar for the most part. 

Oleg is NEVER in the dark.   He owns an energy company dontcha know?

6 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

So will this sale bring out some other top tier modern art? I wonder how surprised dealers are at the hammer. Does dealing in modern art look a lot more profitable now?

Good question. Perhaps a better one is will we see this one again publicly in a few years time or has it disappeared for a generation (or more)? The perception of how that would work may have encouraged some bidding at the upper levels to get it while one can, because it may never be available again.

The newer generation does not relate to Dark Knight (who is this Frank Miller? Why is Batman still wearing spandex when he should be wearing Depends?), Watchmen (who wears watches anymore, my iPhone displays the time), Killing Joke (you want to pay $5K for a page featuring shrimp?  You're joking, right?).

Thank goodness, everyone collects different things and at different price points.

Congratulations to the seller.

Cheers!

N.

2 minutes ago, vodou said:

Good question. Perhaps a better one is will we see this one again publicly in a few years time or has it disappeared for a generation (or more)? The perception of how that would work may have encouraged some bidding at the upper levels to get it while one can, because it may never be available again.

My guess is a well to do early third something and this piece will disappear. That had to have played in to the bidding in my mind. This was their one shot and the underbidder is probably feeling either really crappy or really happy about not winning.

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Oleg is NEVER in the dark.   He owns an energy company dontcha know?

I spoke to Oleg last night.  It was very late in Moscow, but, y'know, money never sleeps and all.  

His exact words were:  "N-VY-X three?  I voodn't peese on it if it was on fiyur, let alone spend $72K on it.  You theenk Oleg spends the money villy-neely like Rybolovlev?  They do not call heem smartest oligarch, do they?"       

Hey, I can only tell you what the man told me... (shrug) 

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

So will this sale bring out some other top tier modern art? I wonder how surprised dealers are at the hammer. Does dealing in modern art look a lot more profitable now?

We'll have to wait and see where Hollywood goes, but doesn't it seem more logical that this locks everything down until adjacent media opportunities play out?

Or do people really think this went for $70k based on... some other metric?

1 hour ago, NelsonAI said:

The newer generation does not relate to Dark Knight (who is this Frank Miller? Why is Batman still wearing spandex when he should be wearing Depends?), Watchmen (who wears watches anymore, my iPhone displays the time), Killing Joke (you want to pay $5K for a page featuring shrimp?  You're joking, right?).

Thank goodness, everyone collects different things and at different price points.

Cheers!

N.

I smell a sequel!!!...

SmartWatchmen™

2 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Cheers!

N.

I tend not to recommend DKR to new readers, as it doesn't tend to resonate with them the way I'd like it to. Court of Owls, HUSH, and even Killing Joke tend to do a lot better. Shame, but it is what it is.

Edited by Mr. Machismo

On 5/19/2017 at 10:32 AM, NinjaSealed said:

No reason to waste good money shipping bleh art! (Unless it is Batman of course becauseBatman can never be bleh)

Just remember me if the time ever comes to move some of that NFS art. :wink:

I was going to give you this gem

NSFW Adult Babes and Bots Coloring book page

I won it on ebay for like 2 bucks 8 years.  I tried to sel it for 10 bucks a few years ago and had no takers :p

Malvin

On 5/19/2017 at 9:29 AM, delekkerste said:

Who's going to fess up to buying this or running it up as the underbidder?  Really want to know if it was just the usual suspects or if there really is a groundswell of demand from a younger, more Modern-oriented crowd like some are speculating.  I just find it a little hard to believe that someone would make the jump from collecting CGC 9.8-10 Moderns and sketch covers to spending $71.7K on a piece like this without being on anybody's radar.  

You'd think, based on previous bidding history on other items, that The Vacuum and Fish would have been involved, at least at lower levels (whether either/both took it to the end, I have no knowledge about).  Who else?  Adam/Filter81?  Matt E.?  Not sure if those guys would be into something like this or not.  I'd rule out the BSDs who largely stick to Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper - it would be a surprise to learn that one of them went this far to get something out of their wheelhouse.  The price would surely rule out a dealer unless buying on behalf of a client (Hugh Jackman?  LOL...)  I've heard about at least one guy paying up for newer art, but, this would be a big step up from where he's been buying as far as I know.  The underbidder was a phone bidder - anyone can bid by phone, but, in my experience, people who bid by phone are those old hands who know what they're doing; would be surprised if that person was a newbie Modern crossover guy.  

Anyway, just idle speculation given that The Cabal rejected my letter of resignation from the hobby this morning. lol 

I think the winning bidder is going to stay anonymous for now.  (I was not the buyer, but in talking to the buyer after the fact he was pretty happy he won)  My OA collection pretty much comes to a dead stop after 1995-1996.   This one was one-of-a-kind for sure but wrong time period for me.  

On 5/19/2017 at 11:21 AM, stinkininkin said:

I hereby declare that my entire collection is now officially for sale at corresponding Nyx #3 adjusted prices.  Come one and come all.  Accepting private pm's now. And no buyers premiums, so there's that.

Scott

:takeit: all the X-men stuff :)