• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduce 'Keylines' Around Quotes
1 1

Question

This Change Requests proposes that we introduce what Arch calls 'keylines' around quotes in posts.

Currently, a post with quotes looks like this:

7.thumb.PNG.8ac9b3fb582a1fa431217e9aec33bd77.PNG

The proposal is for the quotes to be separated by keylines so they look more like this:

8.thumb.PNG.a66a3a39025911107e2ce5abfa969fb3.PNG

The reason is to make it easier to distinguish quotes / multiple quotes from the new post wording.

This in turn should make the reading process less visually taxing.

19 answers to this question

On 2017-03-06 at 4:49 AM, Marwood & I said:

The reason is to make it easier to distinguish quotes / multiple quotes from the new post wording.

This in turn should make the reading process less visually taxing.

Agree.

• Administrator

This will probably happen. I think it's minor because there is way less nested quoting now (which is somewhat controversial, but in the long run probably better), but we'll probably do this.'

7 hours ago, Architecht said:

This will probably happen. I think it's minor because there is way less nested quoting now (which is somewhat controversial, but in the long run probably better), but we'll probably do this.'

Thanks. It will certainly help me if you do, as I still struggle to differentiate new text from quotes, especially when people insert comments into a longer quote. The grey box surrounding the quote is still so faint I can barely see it on my desktop. Example below - makes my eyes hurt!

tt.thumb.PNG.9e8b08dcc1c9bd5b363a33fcf4d2ff49.PNG

Edited by Marwood & I
Edited for clarity!

4 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I still struggle to differentiate new text from quotes, especially when people insert comments into a longer quote. The grey box surrounding the quote is still so faint I can barely see it on my desktop.

If you can't differentiate between the grey and the white, you need to adjust some settings somewhere (or maybe get your eyes checked).

9 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
5 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I still struggle to differentiate new text from quotes, especially when people insert comments into a longer quote. The grey box surrounding the quote is still so faint I can barely see it on my desktop.

If you can't differentiate between the grey and the white, you need to adjust some settings somewhere (or maybe get your eyes checked).

Can you please stop being a complete d-bag?

His request is valid and even supported by Arch. 

Edited by Jerkfro

5 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

His request is valid and even supported by Arch. 

Thanks for defending me Jerkfro. (thumbsu

Just now, Jerkfro said:

Can you? What's your problem?

He seriously needs to adjust some settings if he's having difficulty with that. Maybe monitor contrast? (shrug)

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's not too bad on my phone and tablet, so maybe it's my desktop monitor? I'll play around and see if I can make it clearer. Probably do need the old eyes checking though. 

You could have been a little kinder with your intervention of course, and I know you know that. It did get me thinking though that I've probably had my fair share of commentary now on the new boards. I stand by all my CRs and am grateful for any changes Arch takes forward from them. I've tried to keep my views proactive as I want the boards to be the best they can be. It's the project manager in me.

Anyway, I'll stick to pence rants, Morlar and general stupidity from now on. 

Have fun Lazyboy ?

8 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
15 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Can you? What's your problem?

He seriously needs to adjust some settings if he's having difficulty with that. Maybe monitor contrast? (shrug)

You've had nothing but attitude towards people since the changeover. Maybe you always had it and I'm just now noticing

29 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

You've had nothing but attitude towards people since the changeover.

That's not true, although I have been certainly been frustrated with some people/posts/attitudes since the changeover.

29 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Maybe you always had it and I'm just now noticing

I am more than capable of being as big a :censored: as anybody else here, and have been on occasion, although I usually try not to be.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

7 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

The color correctness and brightness of monitors definitely varies. A lower quality monitor will never look like a high quality one no matter how much you adjust the settings. It's worth noting if a decent chunk of people have trouble distinguishing the color, that the variation might be too subtle for some reasonably high number of monitors/users. That's why a heavier keyline isn't a bad idea. But yes, it's possible that if you look at your monitor settings that you will find out that everything you view on the web could be much better (not just these boards) with a few adjustments.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:
2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

You've had nothing but attitude towards people since the changeover.

That's not true, although I have been certainly been frustrated with some people/posts/attitudes since the changeover.

But why vent that frustration at them? It just makes them feel stupid and does nothing for the overall boards except promote hostility

On 3/13/2017 at 1:50 PM, Architecht said:
On 3/13/2017 at 11:14 AM, Lazyboy said:

On 3/13/2017 at 6:08 AM, Marwood & I said:

The color correctness and brightness of monitors definitely varies. A lower quality monitor will never look like a high quality one no matter how much you adjust the settings. It's worth noting if a decent chunk of people have trouble distinguishing the color, that the variation might be too subtle for some reasonably high number of monitors/users. That's why a heavier keyline isn't a bad idea. But yes, it's possible that if you look at your monitor settings that you will find out that everything you view on the web could be much better (not just these boards) with a few adjustments.

If anything, the line between different quotes seems even lighter now than it was when this theme was first introduced.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

If anything, the line between different quotes seems even lighter now than it was when this theme was first introduced.

Hasn't been changed yet in any direction.

20 minutes ago, Architecht said:
10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Hasn't been changed yet in any direction.

Well, probably just the result of my eyes being a couple of weeks older, then.

16K posts.  Maybe I should stop here. hm

1 1