• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove or Introduce a Time Delay on 'Hovering'
1 1

Question

This Change Requests proposes that we amend the 'hovering' functionality which, currently, can interrupt the reading process when you trigger it unintentionally.

When triggered unintentionally, the hover information is annoying and detracts from the reading experience.

There are two options I can think of:

1. Remove hovering completely. The background information can still exist, but is only triggered if you click on it (right click maybe?)
  2. Introduce a delay to prevent the hover appearing when you pass over it's trigger only briefly 

There may be other technical alternatives which reduce the instances where this can happen - essentially you are voting here for any action which reduces the annoyance caused by unintentional pop ups.

7 answers to this question

• Administrator

I turned off the hover stuff on each forum that showed the description. I THINK that's the only one that pretty much popped up a hover with no delay. It's also the only one I can easily control, and probably the least useful one. The trade off is that not the descriptions always show, so it's a bit more scrolling, but it's probably better that it's off anyway.

On 2017-03-06 at 5:16 AM, Marwood & I said:

This Change Requests proposes that we amend the 'hovering' functionality which, currently, can interrupt the reading process when you trigger it unintentionally.

When triggered unintentionally, the hover information is annoying and detracts from the reading experience.

There are two options I can think of:

1. Remove hovering completely. The background information can still exist, but is only triggered if you click on it (right click maybe?)
  2. Introduce a delay to prevent the hover appearing when you pass over it's trigger only briefly 

There may be other technical alternatives which reduce the instances where this can happen - essentially you are voting here for any action which reduces the annoyance caused by unintentional pop ups.

Agree.

Plus it looks like the information being displayed in the hover is both redundant and superfluous.

Why do I need a bigger version of that to pop-up in front of me, just to block my view?

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Agree.

Roy, On my desktop the quotes in your post bleed out the side of the posting box - see screen dump below:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.7f30ea73d474286f803517bde8015c7e.PNG

Do they on yours?

I presume this shouldn't happen, so you might have broken it. 

Arch, if Roy has broken it, can we go back to the old boards? :wink:

19 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Roy, On my desktop the quotes in your post bleed out the side of the posting box - see screen dump below:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.7f30ea73d474286f803517bde8015c7e.PNG

Do they on yours?

I presume this shouldn't happen, so you might have broken it. 

Arch, if Roy has broken it, can we go back to the old boards? :wink:

It does not happen on my desktop. I'm currently using Mozilla on a PC.

I used the copy/quote feature. Maybe I copied / quoted too much?

Yup, looks like I broke it. Back to the old forum. You're welcome, gang! :acclaim:

1 1