• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miswrapped covers

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys, new to the boards and to grading in general.  Have a question, if there is a better place to ask, please let me know.

I am fuzzy on the effect of a miswrapped cover.  Not sure whether a given level of miswrap represents "a limited accumulation of minor defects", etc.  For example, I have a book where I can see a perfect 1/8th inch of back cover all along the front.  What is the max grade for a book like that?

Not to digress, but I watched several YouTube videos by a guy who took the viewers through grading, and he often referred to "maximum grade for a book with this flaw", which I thought was very helpful, but I don't see anybody else referring to that.  Thoughts?

I think CGC totally disregards miswraps unless they are so bad the book can't fit properly in the slab.

Your description of a perfect 1/8 inch on the spine does not sound like a problem. However, many collectors dislike miswraps and the valuation may be affected.

A miswrap has to be pretty bad for a book to get dinged.  I submitted the ugliest IM55 -- 1/2" misrwap at the top tapering down to 1/4" at the bottom; 1/8" of pages exposed on the back cover tapering down to completely even -- I mean it was bad.  I was hoping for a 9.0... got 9.6.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Here's a thread showing severe miswraps. 

Also, here are some of mine:
miswrap_zps2e319085.jpg

Scan-130821-0002_zpsb49b3c91.jpg

Scan-130821-0001_zpscd01855b.jpg

Wow. I've never came across any wrapped like these.  Would seem like some rarity value there. pretty cool actually. (thumbsu