• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom #150 1:2000 Variant

61 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Tnexus said:

So I guess this is Marvel's new way of trying to artificially inflate numbers? Sell one comic and you get 2,000 regular editions for free?

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/mar171014/venom-150-bagley-sketch-var

At this point... I'm just :popcorn:

Someone will probably buy one, if there's anything I've learned by paying a little bit of attention to the rare variant market on this board, it is that someone always wants it.

Yea this is a new era for sure.  Imo, these are manufactured collectibles.  I'm sure I'll get flack for saying this, but anything over like 1:500 isn't just a 'rare variant', it crosses the line.  I've got zero interest in these.  Is anyone even buying them?

Jerome

21 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Yea this is a new era for sure.  Imo, these are manufactured collectibles.  I'm sure I'll get flack for saying this, but anything over like 1:500 isn't just a 'rare variant', it crosses the line.  I've got zero interest in these.  Is anyone even buying them?

Jerome

Would you mind attempting to explain why 1:500 may be good, but anything beyond that 'crosses the line'? Is it just a psychological barrier, a gut feeling?

For me there isn't a practical difference, both seem absurd. 

25 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Would you mind attempting to explain why 1:500 may be good, but anything beyond that 'crosses the line'? Is it just a psychological barrier, a gut feeling?

Honestly, I think anything above 1:100 is crazy. At least with 1:100 for something like ASM, there are probably a number of comic shops that qualify just from their normal orders.

Granted, I usually ignore most variants with a price tag higher than $15. Most are just pretty covers with crappy interiors. Oh well, guess the interior doesn't really matter once they're slabbed.

19 minutes ago, aerischan said:

Honestly, I think anything above 1:100 is crazy. At least with 1:100 for something like ASM, there are probably a number of comic shops that qualify just from their normal orders.

Granted, I usually ignore most variants with a price tag higher than $15. Most are just pretty covers with crappy interiors. Oh well, guess the interior doesn't really matter once they're slabbed.

Now you get it. Welcome to moderns. 

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

It's like when you have a chocolate bar, very sweet and enjoyable.  But if you have 10 candy bars, not so good.  2-3 candy bars is my MAX.  Anything more than that is too much (shrug)  Maybe when/if the prices reach planet earth for 9.8s I'd be interested, but even then, do I like what the issue is about, anything significant?  Great cover art?  1st app?  This Venom one I could see getting some steam, because of Eddie's return, but not $5K raw steam.

Jerome

7 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

It's like when you have a chocolate bar, very sweet and enjoyable.  But if you have 10 candy bars, not so good.  2-3 candy bars is my MAX.  Anything more than that is too much (shrug)  Maybe when/if the prices reach planet earth for 9.8s I'd be interested, but even then, do I like what the issue is about, anything significant?  Great cover art?  1st app?  This Venom one I could see getting some steam, because of Eddie's return, but not $5K raw steam.

Jerome

These type of variants are rarely ever keys, which is part of the problem with how they're perceived by many of the people on the outside looking in.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'll never understand how so many people in this hobby seem utterly oblivious to the fact that collectors have collected comics based on cover art/artist alone for decades.  

-J.

Well said Sir. Surfer 4 is my fav silver age cover, but a relatively insignificant book on the interior...still very fun to collect. FF 48 has an UGLY cover IMO, but I'll always maintain a nice copy because it's the first Surfer. Both make sense to me. 

And if you're a "modern noob" then I aspire to be one too, lol, you have some incredible books based on your sig line alone. 

Cheers, 

Kevin

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'll never understand how so many people in this hobby seem utterly oblivious to the fact that collectors have collected comics based on cover art/artist alone for decades.  

-J.

This is a false statement. At best, a twisting of what is being said. 

No one ever actually said they don't understand the appeal of an interesting or cool cover. 

1 hour ago, Kevin... said:

Well said Sir. Surfer 4 is my fav silver age cover, but a relatively insignificant book on the interior...still very fun to collect. FF 48 has an UGLY cover IMO, but I'll always maintain a nice copy because it's the first Surfer. Both make sense to me. 

And if you're a "modern noob" then I aspire to be one too, lol, you have some incredible books based on your sig line alone. 

Cheers, 

Kevin

Thanks Kevin!  :foryou:

Fortunately there are many different ways to collect and enjoy this hobby, none being "better" or "more important" than the other.  It's all just a matter of what floats your boat. 

As for this issue, Eddie getting back the symbiote and a return to legacy numbering is kind of a big deal.  Will have to see the actual art before I decide whether or not it's something I would ever consider chasing though. 

-J.

8 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Thanks Kevin!  :foryou:

Fortunately there are many different ways to collect and enjoy this hobby, none being "better" or "more important" than the other.  It's all just a matter of what floats your boat. 

As for this issue, Eddie getting back the symbiote and a return to legacy numbering is kind of a big deal.  Will have to see the actual art before I decide whether or not it's something I would ever consider chasing though. 

-J.

TOTALLY off topic....but is that a Cap 1 5.0? I blacked out for a second when I saw it, Jesus H man...what a stunner.....

Edited by Kevin...

13 minutes ago, Kevin... said:

TOTALLY off topic....but is that a Cap 1 5.0? I blacked out for a second when I saw it, Jesus H man...what a stunner.....

It is indeed.  Purchased from a boardie a few years ago.  Thank you for the nice words. :)

-J.

Unfortunately Blindbox Comics is coming to an end - and our next monthly box will be the final Blindvariant. As such, we have issued a refund of $xxxxx for the remainder of your subscription which we will be unable to fulfill.

Thanks for supporting Blindbox Comics. We hope you have enjoyed your subscription!

31 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

19 hours ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Jerome

Didn't you buy one of those Vader Down 1:4999 variants?

I would rather they numbered them at this point, as in sports cards. For instance have a stamped number on the cover 269/1500 or whatever. Issue number would be worth a bump, etc. At least there would be hard numbers on how many copies are out there rather than get owned by a random case at diamond.