• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those Walmart DC Comics

75 posts in this topic

Personally, I like the display value of them because they have no cover price and otherwise typically have "first printing" features aside from the UPC code. Some feel to me like they should rightly be considered variants rather than reprints since they come out so close to the originals.

But the latest packs struck me as interesting as they start to deviate from Rebirth/New 52 #1's.

One pack has the original Injustice #1 (with the Rebirth DC trade dress and logo in place of what was on the original printing).

But it was one other pack that took the cake for me. They have DC's Trinity #1 (Rebirth) but they've renamed it BATMAN: TRINITY #1. I bought one and cracked it open and the change is in the indica as well as the cover. They've also stripped Superman and Wonder Woman's names off the cover and replaced the main logo with a giant (current series) Batman logo. The cover art is the same, however.

I'm aware of these things happening in foreign editions where lesser known characters will be sidelined to emphasize Superman or Batman. I don't think I've ever seen a U.S. store exclusive where they renamed the SERIES as the variant feature. It's on the order of if SUPERMAN/BATMAN had been called "BATMAN & FRIENDS" on newstands. Or, in this case, only a specific retailer's newstand.

It also seems questionable to me that there will be a BATMAN: TRINITY #2 since the interior of these packs tend to be remaindered/oddball books. Only the outer facing book is a store exclusive. And Walmart's exclusives are almost all first issues.

I suspect the next wave will probably have SUPER SONS. Assuming they don't retitle it ROBIN & SUPERBOY or SON OF BATMAN/SON OF SUPERMAN or something. I have a feeling if Walmart is requesting title changes to emphasize Batman, SUPER SONS might get a different name at Walmart.

Interesting. Now that we have a Walmart nearby, I'm gonna have to check if they have comics there. Trying to collect all Super Sons variants.

Do you know if there's a time delay and how long it is for when Walmart carries new issues? Thanks! :D 

1 hour ago, Chadwick said:

Where are the comics located in the store? I've checked the book and toy sections with no luck. Are these not available in Canada?

They're generally located near the front near the Pokemon and Magic cards.

The delay between books being new and being featured in these packs is about 2 to 3 months. Walmart versions rotate the UPC 90 degrees and have no cover price. They otherwise tend to look like first printings. (They also replace the company logo trade dress with whatever is current in the few cases where they reprinted material more than a couple of years old.)

11 minutes ago, aerischan said:

Unfortunately, no comics at my local Walmart. :( 

Do they sell those online? Searching Walmart.com hasn't given me anything. :|

No but here's an example on eBay of somebody's Superman #1 (Rebirth).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-1-DC-Universe-Rebirth-Walmart-Exclusive-Sealed-/162365444647?hash=item25cdbc1227:g:RUQAAOSwnHZYggDJ

A search for "Walmart Rebirth" will get most of the new ones aside from Injustice #1. I think "Walmart New 52" would cover the earlier packs.

So, I know this was started in reference to the DC packs, but the Walmarts near me also have Marvel 3-packs and some of the comics in those packs are not identical to the regular editions. For example, one Marvel pack contains a "The Clone Conspiracy" #1 that looks just like the main cover but the UPC ends in 00116 (the UPC on the main cover ends in 00111). 

The main cover:

IMG_3379.thumb.JPG.5c7c71a722868853beab051bb8437e98.JPG

And the Walmart 3-pack edition:

IMG_3380.thumb.JPG.4aaacd0269d648b6cd357360fa01d552.JPG

Again, note the different UPC. The interior (down to the ads) are all the same. 

But other Marvel 3-packs appear to contain all "regular" covers. 

So far, I've also seen a pack with "Great Lakes Avengers" #1 and a pack with "The Unbelievable Gwenpool" #7 that have different UPCs than their regular edition counterparts. And like with the DC packs, those Marvel packs contained the "different" cover edition and then two other seemingly random but "regular" comics.

Those three packs are the only ones I've come across where the UPC is different.

3 hours ago, reinharc said:

So, I know this was started in reference to the DC packs, but the Walmarts near me also have Marvel 3-packs and some of the comics in those packs are not identical to the regular editions. For example, one Marvel pack contains a "The Clone Conspiracy" #1 that looks just like the main cover but the UPC ends in 00116 (the UPC on the main cover ends in 00111). 

The main cover:

IMG_3379.thumb.JPG.5c7c71a722868853beab051bb8437e98.JPG

And the Walmart 3-pack edition:

IMG_3380.thumb.JPG.4aaacd0269d648b6cd357360fa01d552.JPG

Again, note the different UPC. The interior (down to the ads) are all the same. 

But other Marvel 3-packs appear to contain all "regular" covers. 

So far, I've also seen a pack with "Great Lakes Avengers" #1 and a pack with "The Unbelievable Gwenpool" #7 that have different UPCs than their regular edition counterparts. And like with the DC packs, those Marvel packs contained the "different" cover edition and then two other seemingly random but "regular" comics.

Those three packs are the only ones I've come across where the UPC is different.

I'm surprised people haven't jumped at this one being that it's a Dell'Otto.  This book is impossible to find without flaws. 

7 hours ago, Comicdave1962 said:

My local Walmart, which isn't a Super-Walmart carries the Rebirth 3-packs.

Fair enough,  I inquired about this some time ago and was told that the regular Walmarts ( those that do not have produce ) carry a select number of items in their collectible section which is at the front of their stores.  I have checked upwards of 30 Walmarts from Conn to Maine and this has proven true.  I have found no 3 packs in Walmarts that are not Super!

23 hours ago, aerischan said:

Interesting. Now that we have a Walmart nearby, I'm gonna have to check if they have comics there. Trying to collect all Super Sons variants.

Do you know if there's a time delay and how long it is for when Walmart carries new issues? Thanks! :D 

Going to have to monitor this one as well. I haven't even given these Walmart books a 2nd thought but if a Super Son's makes an appearance then I'm in. "Aerischan", I'll hook you up when/if they come out if you need'em. I just ask that we have some type of reminder as I'll forget.

1 hour ago, Dwitkin82 said:

Going to have to monitor this one as well. I haven't even given these Walmart books a 2nd thought but if a Super Son's makes an appearance then I'm in. "Aerischan", I'll hook you up when/if they come out if you need'em. I just ask that we have some type of reminder as I'll forget.

That would be awesome. Thanks! :headbang:

Super Sons #1 was released 02/15/17 so with the aforementioned 2-3 month delay, maybe they start showing up April to May 2017?

15 hours ago, MrWeen said:

As far as I know all the Walmart DC 3 packs are only available at superstores.

Any superstores in Canada? We have 4 Walmarts within a 15 drive, no idea how you tell if it's a superstore lol 

2 hours ago, aerischan said:

That would be awesome. Thanks! :headbang:

Super Sons #1 was released 02/15/17 so with the aforementioned 2-3 month delay, maybe they start showing up April to May 2017?

Mark your calendar to watch out for them.....not sure if there's a way to know when they come out....