• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those Walmart DC Comics

75 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2017 at 11:40 PM, mr_highgrade said:

Injustice Harley Quinn #1 Walmart.jpg

bought a couple of these packs today.  How am I not finding this book anywhere on eBay besides in a set of 8 of these packs.  I've typed in what the indicia lists the book as, and every combo of words I can think of to locate that Injustice: Harley Quinn 1, but alas, it seems to not exist?!?

I picked up a couple of the Rogue One 3-packs at the local Walmart today.  The 2 copies I bought are definitely in NM or better condition.  It looked like Walmart ordered more of the DC 3-packs than the Marvel 3-packs based on the two stores I visited.  (I did not purchase the 3-packs at the 2nd store even though they had copies.)

I concur with an earlier poster, this is Walmart and even if they ordered these on the light side with only one case per store, that is still going to be a lot of comics distributed.  How many end up in collectors hands however ...  Here is my blog posting about the Rogue One 3-pack:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2017/06/modern-marvel-star-wars-rogue-one-1.html

I also compared the Chewbacca #1 cover to the one I purchased last year and there is no difference, even in the UPC code area.

Edited by rjrjr

so im wondering who is packing these comics because I don't think they are coming from either marvel or dc.  reason being I found a Lobo book in the star wars marvel pack I bought.  and the packaging was clearly never opened or tampered with and was not rewrapped in anyway.  looked exactly the same as the 5 other packs purchased.

5 hours ago, classicaaron said:

so im wondering who is packing these comics because I don't think they are coming from either marvel or dc.  reason being I found a Lobo book in the star wars marvel pack I bought.  and the packaging was clearly never opened or tampered with and was not rewrapped in anyway.  looked exactly the same as the 5 other packs purchased.

In situations like this, where the other books in the pack besides the special edition walmart comic are just random books, are almost definitely being bought by a third party from Diamond at massive discounts and then packaged and shipped off to walmart.  At least that is what I'd figure is happening.

4 hours ago, gradejunky said:

In situations like this, where the other books in the pack besides the special edition walmart comic are just random books, are almost definitely being bought by a third party from Diamond at massive discounts and then packaged and shipped off to walmart.  At least that is what I'd figure is happening.

9 hours ago, classicaaron said:

That is strange to find a DC comic in a pack that clearly says "3 Marvel Comics".  I agree that would not be a mistake Marvel would make.  If they are packaged by the same organization, why are they priced differently?  Did Marvel charge more for their exclusives?

Went to Walmart this morning to get some stuff and grabbed that Injustice: Harley Quinn pack, also saw the DC Showcase mags... thought about getting the Gal Gadot cover, but the price point turned me off. They had a lot, so I still may go pick it up later if I change my mind. 

Is there a definitive list of these? I'm confused, for instance, about Injustice. Someone said it was retitled Injustice: Harley Quinn...but there's a separate one just called Injustice, too. Little help?

The Injustice: Harley Quinn #1 is the one I quoted up at the top of this page, and reprints Injustice: Ground  Zero #1 with identical cover from what I can see.  The Injustice #1 is a reprint of Injustice #1 from the first mini-series, also with identical cover.  I don't think they even changed the color tones ever so slightly on these like they seem to have for some others.  I could be wrong about that latter part, though.

On 6/14/2017 at 0:47 AM, rjrjr said:

I picked up a couple of the Rogue One 3-packs at the local Walmart today.  The 2 copies I bought are definitely in NM or better condition.  It looked like Walmart ordered more of the DC 3-packs than the Marvel 3-packs based on the two stores I visited.  (I did not purchase the 3-packs at the 2nd store even though they had copies.)

I concur with an earlier poster, this is Walmart and even if they ordered these on the light side with only one case per store, that is still going to be a lot of comics distributed.  How many end up in collectors hands however ...  Here is my blog posting about the Rogue One 3-pack:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2017/06/modern-marvel-star-wars-rogue-one-1.html

I also compared the Chewbacca #1 cover to the one I purchased last year and there is no difference, even in the UPC code area.

As predicted, eBay has been seeing more and more of these Rogue One 3-pack show up.  I don't track the other 3-packs, but I expect the story to be the same.  Someone actually paid $60 for once of these back on June 10th.  Ouch!

Went to Walmart to buy some tires, so I had time to kill. They had the Showcase mags, which are a neat idea, but at $10 I had no use for them. Picked up the Bat and WW related three packs. 

Also, if any of you collect the Multiverse figures, they had a WALL of them on clearance for $5 each. Might want to check your local store, ymmv. I can't even count how many Carrie Kelly Robins are out there.

IMG_3985.JPG

I found this little gem in the book/magazine section on July 2nd.  I just forgot to post it.

I'm not sure if these are exclusive to Walmart, but it's nice to see some Spidey representation regardless.

spidey-archie-1st.thumb.jpg.b646ed96cf51aa0d382440d55f254faa.jpg

spidey-archie-indicia.thumb.jpg.cf842c785499f99bcc2529d47476570c.jpg

Looks like these are coming out once every two months and produced in conjunction with Archie comics.  I didn't count the pages, but it's a decent size.  It appears that the contents are a bunch of different reprints spanning a couple different ages.