• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

doh!   Wow...that thread.  Solar Boy, you are not just a terrible grader, you're a terrible liar too.

You are better suited for a place like facebook to sell.  It's easier to sell your manipulation there.

It's a sign of the times

On 11/17/2017 at 11:31 AM, Red_Hood said:

doh!   Wow...that thread.  Solar Boy, you are not just a terrible grader, you're a terrible liar too.

You are better suited for a place like facebook to sell.  It's easier to sell your manipulation there.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:34 AM, crassus said:

It's a sign of the times

I had not really been looking at the thread closing until he started listing Batman's.  :/  Quoting GPA is always weird to me when selling raw books and think I will pass on that sale.  

Although the buyer who bought two cheap books then proceeded to claim ever free book:whatthe:

10 hours ago, Shadow Images said:

I had not really been looking at the thread closing until he started listing Batman's.  :/  Quoting GPA is always weird to me when selling raw books and think I will pass on that sale.  

Although the buyer who bought two cheap books then proceeded to claim ever free book:whatthe:

I agree 100% on using GPA sales as being relative to price a raw book unless the raw has been priced taking into consideration slabbing fees but even then I think it is ill-advised practice.  I too pass on a sales thread when I see that.  I looked briefly at that thread and the books listed were nothing I was interesting in so I hadn't ventured into it again.

As for the buyer taking the free books, if it was within the seller's guidelines, I can't really fault the buyer.  I personally would have exercised restraint so the freebies could be spread out.  

9 hours ago, telerites said:

I agree 100% on using GPA sales as being relative to price a raw book unless the raw has been priced taking into consideration slabbing fees but even then I think it is ill-advised practice.  I too pass on a sales thread when I see that.  I looked briefly at that thread and the books listed were nothing I was interesting in so I hadn't ventured into it again.

As for the buyer taking the free books, if it was within the seller's guidelines, I can't really fault the buyer.  I personally would have exercised restraint so the freebies could be spread out.  

That would require some sort of recognition that this forum is supposed to be a community of like-minded collectors and enthusiasts, and maybe you shouldn't take every single free thing offered before your fellow community members decide if they might want something as well. (shrug) 

1 minute ago, entalmighty1 said:

That would require some sort of recognition that this forum is supposed to be a community of like-minded collectors and enthusiasts, and maybe you shouldn't take every single free thing offered before your fellow community members decide if they might want something as well. (shrug) 

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post as  I agree with you.  I said if it were I, I would have shown restraint and taken only one freebie and I should have added only if I really wanted and/or needed it.  If not, I would just pass on a freebie and let others partake.  

22 minutes ago, telerites said:

I hope you didn't misunderstand my post as  I agree with you.  I said if it were I, I would have shown restraint and taken only one freebie and I should have added only if I really wanted and/or needed it.  If not, I would just pass on a freebie and let others partake.  

Sarcasm is hard to convey in type! :foryou: 

So what's the logic behind the "Will list more if these sell" comments? I mean, if your current listings aren't moving for whatever reason and you want to make some sells, then list something new. It's like people are holding their own books hostage. I mean, does someone think that's really going to encourage buyers? "Oh man, I better buy these so I can see what else might be listed."

41 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

So what's the logic behind the "Will list more if these sell" comments? I mean, if your current listings aren't moving for whatever reason and you want to make some sells, then list something new. It's like people are holding their own books hostage. I mean, does someone think that's really going to encourage buyers? "Oh man, I better buy these so I can see what else might be listed."

One person says something and a lot of people remember it, think it's a good idea;)

Funny you said that about holding the books hostage, I had the SAME thought when I first saw it;)

Reminded me of a Woody Allen movie

Edited by skypinkblu

16 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

So what's the logic behind the "Will list more if these sell" comments? I mean, if your current listings aren't moving for whatever reason and you want to make some sells, then list something new.

:D

My mind often works in terms of analogies.

When I see this comment, I always envision some retail store owner that has just opened his/her store, and has started putting product out on shelves. After a week, a few customers come into the store, but no one buys anything. So, the store owner says to him/herself, "I swear, if only some customer would buy something, I would put out some additional items on the shelves for their consideration. However, if no one buys anything, why should I bother offering anything else:sumo:  "

OK, go out of business then. lol  :screwy:

16 hours ago, edowens71 said:

:D

My mind often works in terms of analogies.

When I see this comment, I always envision some retail store owner that has just opened his/her store, and has started putting product out on shelves. After a week, a few customers come into the store, but no one buys anything. So, the store owner says to him/herself, "I swear, if only some customer would buy something, I would put out some additional items on the shelves for their consideration. However, if no one buys anything, why should I bother offering anything else:sumo:  "

OK, go out of business then. lol  :screwy:

There’s funny people out there. I’ve been in comic shops with worse business models than that!

On 11/24/2017 at 4:44 PM, DavidTheDavid said:

Between this and the threat of moving stuff to other venues, I don't know what's more irritating.  You would think if any industry went by the standard of "the market sets the price," it would be this one.  If something is priced right, it will sell every time.  Here, on ebay, wherever. 

1 hour ago, entalmighty1 said:

Between this and the threat of moving stuff to other venues, I don't know what's more irritating.  You would think if any industry went by the standard of "the market sets the price," it would be this one.  If something is priced right, it will sell every time.  Here, on ebay, wherever. 

.....the one that always cracks me up, and I confess to using it myself, is "I'm listing some books to free up some space" .....and then proceed to list a dozen books. I mean, what?, do you live in the trunk of your car ?...... how much space does a dozen books free up ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Shadow Images said:

True 90 % of the time. Sometimes higher priced items can be listed at the wrong time for the buyer who would buy them. 

Most definitely, but most of the time I see this statement it's regarding books that are readily available, usually at lower prices.

On 27/11/2017 at 3:20 PM, jimjum12 said:

.....the one that always cracks me up, and I confess to using it myself, is "I'm listing some books to free up some space" .....and then proceed to list a dozen books. I mean, what?, do you live in the trunk of your car ?...... how much space does a dozen books free up ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The same thing I always thought about this type of listings… :D