• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
59 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

This thread is booming like the old days. 

:cloud9: Silver linings;)

I don't even know where I am ..... I just followed a friends posts and read this stuff.   lol  (shrug)

2 hours ago, Senormac said:
3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

This thread is booming like the old days. 

:cloud9: Silver linings;)

I don't even know where I am ..... I just followed a friends posts and read this stuff.   lol  (shrug)

I got a pm about an hour ago...., 

• Administrator
On 11/29/2017 at 2:26 PM, Red84 said:

I agree.  @Architecht What say you?

Hm... yeah, that's interesting...

I'd say that I would be concerned someone would end up in a PM conversation trying to "buy" the book, and then get burned. If we leave the bait up, it may catch someone.

Also, it would create a need to make judgement calls about what is a simple guidelines violation versus what is a scammer. Guidelines violation would need to be removed, while scams would be locked, but there would be a large grey area in between. That will get messy.

Theoretically, if they try again under the same terms, their posts will just be removed again. If they just make a new fake account they may not be caught anyway even if we leave their previous attempts up. There probably isn't an ideal treatment here. I might trend towards less complexity in that case.

Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, Architecht said:

I'd say that I would be concerned someone would end up in a PM conversation trying to "buy" the book, and then get burned. If we leave the bait up, it may catch someone.

Also, it would create a need to make judgement calls about what is a simple guidelines violation versus what is a scammer. Guidelines violation would need to be removed, while scams would be locked, but there would be a large grey area in between. That will get messy.

Theoretically, if they try again under the same terms, their posts will just be removed again. If they just make a new fake account they may not be caught anyway even if we leave their previous attempts up. There probably isn't an ideal treatment here. I might trend towards less complexity in that case.

Thoughts?

We don't want scammers to remain on the boards.  I think the only choice you have is to ban them. 

I should add, if the same thing was to occur again, I think the thread should be locked and remain visible.  Someone asked this earlier.  Can a person be banned and their posts remain?

2 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I should add, if the same thing was to occur again, I think the thread should be locked and remain visible.  Someone asked this earlier.  Can a person be banned and their posts remain?

I'm pretty sure that was the case in the past.

26 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I'm pretty sure that was the case in the past.

The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Online_Shadows_of_

I’ve not been much active in the last months, and I have not followed the unfolding of the issue at hand, but there is a thing to remember.

If someone has developed a bad habit of doing things, even if encouraged and endured, it will be hard to change his attitude at once.
I am not saying this as a justification, it’s just a fact (and each one can apply it to him/herself with due proportions): in this sense, even a tiny change shows an effort that, even if not motivated by the purest intentions, it’s a willing act of respect towards others, which eventually will bear futher fruit. It’s not “psychology”, it rather has deeper spiritual implications, as it leads you to see things about you that you would not have considered while persisting in your former behavior.

Now, if someone writes down a sentence like this (picked from the thread linked by Hector) I believe there is a lot of suspicion and mistrust to start with.
That’s where one has to start, not from the end results of a similar attitude.

«absolutely not an inappropriate remark at all and its prob dead on.  With people acting or hinting that my story is made up and teaming up a bit yeah my books could very well already be in your collection or someone else's on these boards.  Please spare me your future comments about how honest and amazing everyone on here is.  Complete BS.  And I offered to meet the person who made a remark to me in person to talk man to man because He called me a D-bag and was acting tough behind his computer.  Plain and simple.»

Plus, while some boardies may seem rough or unpleasand when making fun of others, all it takes is to get to know them better.

Edited by vaillant

On 12/4/2017 at 5:38 PM, Architecht said:

Thoughts?

My suggestion was that the threads be locked and placed in a marketplace violation sub-forum.  The problem seemed to arise from a moderator 'banning' the scammer and their activity disappearing (stu shill ban M.O.) as opposed to the way most bans go when posts remain on the boards.
For my suggestion, the removal of the clutter is the same & the safe sales forum remains clean but the scammer's locked marketplace violation threads get locked and moved.

Worrying that a n00b might try to PM a banned user about a book they tried to sell in a locked thread in the marketplace violation sub-forum should be far less worrisome than the current wiping that creates a false impression of a 100% safe marketplace for anyone visiting.

Retaining a locked record has value, there are certain actions that will result in people asking questions today, there are also some people who play hall monitor on here but have a pretty keen sense when it comes to sniffing these guys out, I'd personally like to see the mods give some of those guys (who act reasonably) a bit more rope if they ask some direct questions of new sellers but today there's no resource for us or the mods to see who is pointing out fraudsters.  There may also be instances where the scammers have given out their paypal, linked to their own pic hosting etc..etc.. or heck, maybe the mods could add the person's email address that they used to sign up with :idea: y'know, some real names and stuff.

I'm sure others can add their own feedback as to why keeping a record might be helpful other than the fact that some of those threads can be entertaining too. 2c 

Edited by bababooey
clarification

On 12/3/2017 at 1:19 PM, Fiddy said:

I too think it's a positive when someone tries to change, but all he has changed is his sales guideline.  Changing his attitude to be more positive towards board members and how he responds to criticism will indicate a move in the right direction.   

I agree with you I can learn to be more nice to some board members but you don't know all sides to any story. And look at how red hood is speaking to me above....nothing on a comic book forum warrants that.....I have no interest in being nice to someone like that ever.

He and others call the robbery a lie? What's exactly do I benefit from lying about that? Absolutely nothing. I only posted it to make people aware of what happened and watch their backs when selling in that area. I got attacked by a couple people and yea naturally I go into shut down mode.

My grading is usually good, when selling 5000 comics and making people happy by posting more each night I'll miss some. But there are some I also miss in favor of the buyer. On top of that I also give massive discounts and hundreds of free books to make everyone happy. It has not been a couple people buying from me but 50-60 loyal buyin over 300-400 books each from me over 5-7 sales so far.

And lastly that person who came in here and complained about me other than hector. I just looked and he purchased from me before and left me kudos. He stated he just wanted to try me out and I was terrible....that's a lie. Clearly he was happy enough to leave me kudos, check for yourself. Hector I expect because that's how he is, a trouble maker/instigator. He loves to stir the pot and watch havoc unfold, he's also prob upset everytime I have a post I get a ton more views, likes and whatever else you boardies love to get on here than he does.

I am nice to a lot of people on these boards and will continues to be Nice to anyone who is nice to me.

But some of you need to get off your high horse, a lot of you I've seen your books overly graded, some of you I've bought from and grades were way off. 

And being tough and talking trash to me on here and giving me your advise is a joke, no one has the right to be degrading or speak to someone like that. 

But all of you can do as you wish. A lot of people buy from me and even with all the trash talking you are all doing here they still buy from me and will keep buying from me. 

Hope all my friends and the jerks being rude to me get a little holiday spirit and stop being rude. It will get you nowhere. 

Edited by SOLAR BOY

On 12/3/2017 at 4:05 PM, skypinkblu said:

I answered you, because you quoted me, that's the only reason.

I read everything. I was not happy when the person who tried to help him organized the thread was not thanked, but that was weeks ago. I said something then.  Good that we won't be going back and forth, so if I don't answer you, it's not that I'm ignoring you, just stopping because you think I'm  singling you out.  IF you missed it, I responded to Adam as well.

Sha I thanked him via pm. He messaged me and I thanked him for doing it but I told him I didn't feel it needed to be done. The deals on the books are very very good, I was doing 60-70% off and giving a lot of free books. I don't think with all that I'm doing I needed to go back and put page numbers for the bargain shoppers to find them easier. That's why I made the statement. Raze and I are cool and he has bought a lot from me. He's a good guy and we respect each other. We spoke via pm which is my and his business and that's it. 

On 12/3/2017 at 5:08 PM, entalmighty1 said:

I always thought it was more telling watching who doesn't buy in these big threads than who does buy.  

As far as Solar and his alleged contrition, it would say a lot (in my eyes) if he actually acknowledged @skypinkblu's efforts to give him a few pointers, rather than immediately return fire to the more confrontational posts.  

Anybody can snap back.  Takes a special person to step back. (shrug) 

See I agree with you here and I respect you for how you are speaking to me. 

Ive had more conversations on the phone with Sharon than everyone else on the boards combined. She's a friend and I took a few days to cool off and now I'm here responding because it felt like she was attacking me like the rest of you.

if everyone spoke to me like you are now I would never go off on anyone. We are all human and we all learn and grow. 

The stolen books post is real, happened and a police report was filed. I snapped on people there because a couple people went off on me saying it was my fault. Maybe my reaction to those people was incorrect but i cannot take that back now. 

This doesn't give anyone the right to call me names or act like they are perfect. I've had hundred of pms thanking me for the books and very happy with the grades.  yea i will make some grading mistakes, a lot in the favor of the buyer as well. Everyone here has made that mistake both ways.

As far as how some of you speak to me it's not acceptable. You don't know me, you don't hang out with me or communicate with me and I've not personally attacked you. It's better to be constructive with me than be negative. I meet negative with negative and yes I'll take a step back but I grew up in rough areas and this is how I'm made. 

Anyway thank you for the constructive criticism sir I appreciate it. 

Edited by SOLAR BOY

Personally, I feel like Solar's recent grading and pricing has been better in the new thread due to the advice given by everyone. 

My personal advice for Solar.And  I'm not saying you need to care, but IMHO your threads can be improved.

• I appreciate your sales as others , but keep in mind that as you don't like other people arguing in your thread, it is unpleasant for us to see rudeness or bragging on your thread.   
    • It is important as a seller and I am not a frequent one, to expect criticism. Buyers don't expect you to accept advice but they do expect a polite response. 
    • And related to this ... please don't see all suggestions as an attack that you need to be defensive about. Easier said than done but worth pausing before hitting send.
  • Inside jokes should be PM, otherwise when publicly given, people can confuse your comments as rude and bullying which leads to arguments.
  • If you miss your schedule, expect people to be upset as they feel their time wasted, but then again everyone should understand if handled right.

Finally, Solar is not a rip off artist, maybe a little sloppy and hot-headed. Unless you really have been wronged by him and need him to make you whole, why fan this fire more?

Ok I wasted more time on this then I wanted. I'm sure I missed another baker :)   

Thanks,
Eric

5 hours ago, Changer said:

Personally, I feel like Solar's recent grading and pricing has been better in the new thread due to the advice given by everyone. 

My personal advice for Solar.And  I'm not saying you need to care, but IMHO your threads can be improved.

• I appreciate your sales as others , but keep in mind that as you don't like other people arguing in your thread, it is unpleasant for us to see rudeness or bragging on your thread.   
    • It is important as a seller and I am not a frequent one, to expect criticism. Buyers don't expect you to accept advice but they do expect a polite response. 
    • And related to this ... please don't see all suggestions as an attack that you need to be defensive about. Easier said than done but worth pausing before hitting send.
  • Inside jokes should be PM, otherwise when publicly given, people can confuse your comments as rude and bullying which leads to arguments.
  • If you miss your schedule, expect people to be upset as they feel their time wasted, but then again everyone should understand if handled right.

Finally, Solar is not a rip off artist, maybe a little sloppy and hot-headed. Unless you really have been wronged by him and need him to make you whole, why fan this fire more?

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks bud I appreciate everything you said and agree with most of it.  Thanks and happy holidays....

Wise suggestions, Changer.

6 hours ago, SOLAR BOY said:
12 hours ago, Changer said:

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks bud I appreciate everything you said and agree with most of it.  Thanks and happy holidays....