• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thehumantorch said:
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, Harry Lime said:

Am I allowed to list purchase prices in Pounds Sterling & payment to be the same?

Go for it.

no rule against it.  it happens from time to time when someone posts in non-US currency.  But one might consider the ease/comfort of the potential customer.  Americans (of which I am one) are most likely your largest potential market and are notorious for making wanting the consumer process to be as quick and simple as possible.  Forcing Americans to do math may hinder that preferred customer convenience, and ultimately may affect your bottom line  But of course, the it may not be worth it for you to do the extra math either, depending on your selling preferences. 

I guess the market will work it out.

I thought this was kind of weird, from a thread in modern, not a big deal.

Its just that I'm not sure ANYONE wouldn't accept same day payment (the thread states they accept paypal), so why risk someone posting an unconditional :takeit: while you're waiting for the seller to respond? (note the discount was already stated by the seller in the thread)

21 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

:takeit: @ 15% off IF I can pay via PayPal tonight? 

2 hours ago, revat said:

Its just that I'm not sure ANYONE wouldn't accept same day payment (the thread states they accept paypal), so why risk someone posting an unconditional :takeit: while you're waiting for the seller to respond? (note the discount was already stated by the seller in the thread)

Good Point. I’ll pay tonight if I get the PayPal address. Yes one of the acceptable forms of payment is PayPal.

As for putting the discount with “I will take it” guy ,I see buyers doing this all the time.  I don’t see anything wrong with this but it is probably unnecessary. 

2 minutes ago, musicmeta said:
3 hours ago, revat said:

Good Point. I’ll pay tonight if I get the PayPal address. Yes one of the acceptable forms of payment is PayPal.

As for putting the discount with “I will take it” guy ,I see buyers doing this all the time.  I don’t see anything wrong with this but it is probably unnecessary. 

definitely nothing wrong with it, I'd just hate to see someone missing out (or be the one missing out) on something for just being too polite.  Also I didn't mean there was anything wrong with stating the discount (you're right that's super common), I just was just trying to show that you weren't making a lower price-offer or anything, just basically that you were accepting the stated price, but for some reason placing an added (seemingly unnecessary) condition on yourself.

1 minute ago, revat said:

definitely nothing wrong with it, I'd just hate to see someone missing out (or be the one missing out) on something for just being too polite.  Also I didn't mean there was anything wrong with stating the discount (you're right that's super common), I just was just trying to show that you weren't making a lower price-offer or anything, just basically that you were accepting the stated price, but for some reason placing an added (seemingly unnecessary) condition on yourself.

Yup, totally unnecessary and Thanks for pointing this out on the conditional “IF”. 

love the "this one is heating up" or "on the rise" comment

but then they dont reference GPA, but rather ebay LISTINGS

and when you check GPA it's selling for $350 while they have it listed for $500

...and they arent taking offers because their "prices are already way low" 

*headsmack*

moving on.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:43 PM, EC ed said:

I'm fine with the use of those terms. Nothing wrong with making things symmetric, in principle - surprised it's not done more often...perhaps it should be! Relatedly, I've done a private deal on a book where another copy of the book was on auction, with lots of time still left. We agreed on a tentative price, and added a symmetric contingency based on the hammer price of the auction book...i.e., I'll pay more (less) % if the auction copy ultimately closes above (below) some threshold values. Nothing wrong with a little innovation in deal structures.

Moral hazard! :makepoint:

On 5/16/2018 at 6:26 PM, skypinkblu said:

My guess was the same as yours, but only @bedrockcomics knows the truth;)

About the Lost Colony of Roanoke?  About the real reason the Titanic sank?  About the identity of Jack the Ripper? About who really wrote Shakespeare's plays?

3 minutes ago, EC ed said:
16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Moral hazard! :makepoint:

Indeed. lol

At least we don't have to worry about adverse selection. hm  :insane:

Around these parts, it's best to worry about everything! :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

About the Lost Colony of Roanoke?  About the real reason the Titanic sank?  About the identity of Jack the Ripper? About who really wrote Shakespeare's plays?

You made me go back to see what the heck I was talking about. Of course it was about Bedrock joking, but I like your answers better. Was there another reason the Titanic sank? 
Don't make me look something else up;) 

5 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

It's kind of crazy.

Seller lists a grade, someone asks about a giant 5" crease on the book, seller acknowledges it's there, and doesn't change the grade. :screwy:

I hit the back button as soon as I saw the book, then the grade.  

Hello all, I’ve got a situation to run by the group... I made an offer via PM for a book in Rick’s thread this afternoon, got a counter, then accepted via PM. Rick didn’t see it right away, and another boardie posted the take in the thread. At this point Rick has decided to give it to the thread taker, but he and I both thought it was a good idea to discuss here. I know these calls depend on the rules in each thread, so for reference, Rick’s rule in this case was, “ :takeit: trumps PM.” 

From his perspective, that meant even a full take via PM would be trumped by the thread take. I interpreted that as PM negotiations would be trumped by a thread take but that a PM take should be accepted. 

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom, and thanks to Rick for discussing this via PM like a sane person - how refreshing is that for the internet! lol