• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

.And we'd best ask the Dr.

the only time I answer questions is if I'm tied to an old box spring  and there hitting me with 200 volts.

On 7/10/2018 at 12:14 PM, EC ed said:

This is a very good point that I hadn't thought of yet...and needs some discussion! I can't believe we haven't had serious drama (at least that I know of) stemming from this problem yet.

So, even if we have PMs sent to e-mail, the imprecision of the software timing display still seems to be a problem. For example, suppose I'm running a sales thread per my usual "time stamp anywhere wins" rule. I go to sleep at 11pm, and wake up and check my sales thread at 6am. I have an e-mail of a PM "take it" notification with an e-mail time of, say, 1:20am. There's also a "take it" posted in the sales thread, and the only time information on that sales thread post says "5 hours ago" (which seems to be the precision with which this software displays post timing). Which one was first?? The sales thread post could have been at 1:15am...but it also could have been at 1:25am. What do we do??? 

:ohnoez:

I didn’t think about this either. Given that it could be unclear when someone ultimately sends a PM,  you can’t rely on it. I guess I’ll be posting :takeit: per PM in the threads going forward!

I guess I see the rationale behind the rule to mean that Rick wanted to manage the sales in the thread rather than juggle pms and the sales thread. that way in the end the thread documents all sales and he doesnt have to sift through PMs to remember who got what, and when and what to invoice and ship... 

but that's me trying to interpret Rick's intent, and thats a scary thing!

I guess an easy thing would be to ask people to write out the time they post take it in a pm, but for the 1% who are not trustworthy, it could be an issue if you have a super hot book.

I'm not terribly worried as most super hot books get taken in under a minute on the thread, but it's something to think about.

24 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I guess an easy thing would be to ask people to write out the time they post take it in a pm,

If I'm thinking about this correctly (see my comment/hypothetical example above), we would also need to ask people who take a book directly in the sales thread to write out the time they post their "take it" in the sales thread itself...otherwise, situations may still arise where we aren't able to tell whether a thread take was before or after a PM take (even if that PM take posted the time in the PM). Right?

On 7/9/2018 at 9:30 PM, mrmitchgro said:

Hello all, I’ve got a situation to run by the group... I made an offer via PM for a book in Rick’s thread this afternoon, got a counter, then accepted via PM. Rick didn’t see it right away, and another boardie posted the take in the thread. At this point Rick has decided to give it to the thread taker, but he and I both thought it was a good idea to discuss here. I know these calls depend on the rules in each thread, so for reference, Rick’s rule in this case was, “ :takeit: trumps PM.” 

From his perspective, that meant even a full take via PM would be trumped by the thread take. I interpreted that as PM negotiations would be trumped by a thread take but that a PM take should be accepted. 

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom, and thanks to Rick for discussing this via PM like a sane person - how refreshing is that for the internet! lol 

As a seller, I indicate that an :takeit:in the thread beats everything including agreed negotiations in a PM.  The PM deal is not valid until posted :takeit:in the thread to close the deal.

7 minutes ago, EC ed said:

If I'm thinking about this correctly (see my comment/hypothetical example above), we would also need to ask people who take a book directly in the sales thread to write out the time they post their "take it" in the sales thread itself...otherwise, situations may still arise where we aren't able to tell whether a thread take was before or after a PM take (even if that PM take posted the time in the PM). Right?

Yes, but there is no way to get people to post a time in a sales thread when they are taking a book.

Just imagine this one...@comcav

Sorry, but not only do you have to write out "take it" but you must post the red sign and the time.

I can only imagine the answer;) 

19 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

As a seller, I indicate that an :takeit:in the thread beats everything including agreed negotiations in a PM.  The PM deal is not valid until posted :takeit:in the thread to close the deal.

So what do you do when the seller wants to remain anonymous, for whatever reason?

Is the sale then not valid until you post the "sold via PM" yourself?

I actually like your solution, because it eliminates the need for worrying about timestamps via PM.

12 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

So what do you do when the seller wants to remain anonymous, for whatever reason?

Is the sale then not valid until you post the "sold via PM" yourself?

I actually like your solution, because it eliminates the need for worrying about timestamps via PM.

Yes, that is exactly what I do.  I'll post the :takeit:for the buyer.  The sale is not final until either I post or the buyer posts it.

The buyers have to realize that there is a certain risk of not getting the book if they decide to go the PM route and/or remain anonymous.

Edited by Red_Hood

49 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Yes, that is exactly what I do.  I'll post the :takeit:for the buyer.  The sale is not final until either I post or the buyer posts it.

The buyers have to realize that there is a certain risk of not getting the book if they decide to go the PM route and/or remain anonymous.

I'm going to steal this for my next sales thread.

I've got a question about payments via PayPal.  Since personal payments are not allowed as a listed option, that means payments are subject to PayPal fees of 2.9% + 0.30.  As a seller, do you factor those fees into your list price?  I think for the most part when I've been buying stuff, I've been adding a little on top to cover fees.  But I'm just wondering if i've been too nice this whole time.  I suppose it depends from seller to seller and I should always confirm before issuing payment, but just curious how you factor in fees.