• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been asked before (and it likely has)...
I understand that listing non-CGC encapsulated books is forbidden, but if a book has been removed from its case and is listed as a raw book is it permissible to post the former grade from a non-CGC company in the description?  (To give as much information about the book as possible).

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Apologies if this has been asked before (and it likely has)...
I understand that listing non-CGC encapsulated books is forbidden, but if a book has been removed from its case and is listed as a raw book is it permissible to post the former grade from a non-CGC company in the description?  (To give as much information about the book as possible).

Thanks.

I have seen that done here before.

You only seem to get in trouble if you name the other company.

Maybe use the "Voldemort" or other sort of verbiage.

I hate intentionally misleading language when citing GPA

"Listed well below All of the last several sales over the summer as this one is trending up big time!"

book is listed for $475

Last GPA sales were (in order starting with most recent) $510, $510, $500 (his cutoff based on the general definition of "several")
next sale the day prior $370

1. Is $25-35 "well below"? That's ~5% below the last three sales (vs the 10% that eBay takes), that's up to debate. 

2. he notes "over the summer" which would be about the last 90 days, which for GPA is an average of $452, but for him he's only interested in the last 3 sales that have come in the last three days. 

He also said that *clears throat for all caps eBay style listing" "4 OF THE LAST 5 GPA SALES HAVE BEEN ABOVE $500!" which is actually totally incorrect, cause only 2 of the last 5 have been over 500, another two WERE 500 and then one at 370....

If you wanna use GPA cite it correctly, dont cherry pick and dont mis-state. Some people (who may not have access, or just may not fact check) make decisions in part based on the GPA info cited. 

And Im not even gonna get into his language pumping up a movie that has had no movement since some initial casting was announced, and it's date had not moved (Im betting SOny is holding it's "claim" on the date and will slot something else in the date once it gets closer and other distributors cant adjust to take over the release date)

*gets off soap box*

Edited by miraclemet

4 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I hate intentionally misleading language when citing GPA

"Listed well below All of the last several sales over the summer as this one is trending up big time!"

book is listed for $475

Last GPA sales were (in order starting with most recent) $510, $510, $500 (his cutoff based on the general definition of "several")
next sale the day prior $370

1. Is $25-35 "well below"? That's ~5% below the last three sales (vs the 10% that eBay takes), that's up to debate. 

2. he notes "over the summer" which would be about the last 90 days, which for GPA is an average of $452, but for him he's only interested in the last 3 sales that have come in the last three days. 

He also said that *clears throat for all caps eBay style listing" "4 OF THE LAST 5 GPA SALES HAVE BEEN ABOVE $500!" which is actually totally incorrect, cause only 2 of the last 5 have been over 500, another two WERE 500 and then one at 370....

If you wanna use GPA cite it correctly, dont cherry pick and dont mis-state. Some people (who may not have access, or just may not fact check) make decisions in part based on the GPA info cited. 

And Im not even gonna get into his language pumping up a movie that has had no movement since some initial casting was announced, and it's date had not moved (Im betting SOny is holding it's "claim" on the date and will slot something else in the date once it gets closer and other distributors cant adjust to take over the release date)

*gets off soap box*

Everyone's a salesman.
A slight peeve of mine is in regard to original art - it used to be a splash page meant page one, or an interior page consisting of one large panel.
Now multiple-panel pages are called splash pages if one of the panels is extra-large.  I can understand the temptation if one panel covers ¾  of a page, but it is not a splash page.

4 hours ago, StingerMcK said:
11 hours ago, Point Five said:

Why was Rick's thread pulled?   :(

Wondering the same thing

Rick has his intro down by now.... it would have to be an oversight involving a book listed elsewhere ….. these threads are a lot of work, what a bummer for Rick. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I don't have a GPA subscription and maybe I don't understand how its used, but doesn't someone who quotes it usually list their book for about that much or less?  How special would a SA book have to be to list GPA and then price it significantly more?  Is it a selling point, then?

It would be infuriating, unfortunately that is the goal of the person reporting you. Don't let them get to you, but you deserve an answer as to why threads are being pulled. Traded should have nothing to do with it.

I just would like to know on this last one what the issue was.

If you are a self appointed "thread police" person why not do the nice thing and PM the person who posted something wrong and let them know directly? I have done that for others and it is usually an oversight and they fix it. No big deal. If the mods were perusing my thread and saw something wrong it still seems like no big deal to send a PM to fix the issue. It's not like I am selling something illegally or posting other companies graded books. 

Oh well :flamed:

1 minute ago, Spyder! said:

This makes me so mad. I thought this was a place where we were all bonded to each other by our shared, nerdy hobby.  I thought it was a place where people were mostly pretty great to each other.  I mean, my experiences with this community have been about 99% positive, honestly.  The fact that people tattletale to the mods without just helping fellow boardies out makes me sick.  Those are the people who should have “strikes” against them and don’t need to be a part of these boards.  I, like many others here, love Rick’s sales threads. I have only purchased a couple books from Rick, but just seeing his amazing books is a treat in and of itself. I hope that you won’t give up on this place yet Rick. And I hope others will stop being as*holes. 

Thanks bud

99% is positive, like you say. 

Let's face it. It's been said a million times but this place is a shell of it's former self since the upgrade. I hardly buy anything here anymore because there are so few sales threads and it is stupid to cancel really good ones. 

I had a sales thread in mixed that didn't get a second look and also had it listed on the bay. I left it up here as a test.  No one noticed or cared, so what's the ryhme or reason for others getting pulled?

4 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I know I am nothing special but obviously I do think I play a part in keeping the G/S/B sales forum active. I promote it to people all the time.

@jimjum12 @StingerMcK

Rick: this might qualify as the understatement of the year ... the 'part' you have played, just during my measley 3 years of membership, has been crucial to this entire forum; the books you have brought to the various threads has been nothing short of amazing ... MODS: please provide professional feedback for this outstanding boardie ASAP ... Geeesh!!