• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

Well, I guess I can see the technicality of the "offence," but I know I've had a lot of cracks back and forth in my threads (not nearly as extensive as Rick's) from the ThreadCrap Mafia and it never came up as a problem.  I agree that a little head's up before a shutting down of the thread would be helpful so that someone doesn't have to reconstruct their entire thread from scratch.

59 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I have an answer from the moderator now.   I am being told that I bumped the thread excessively. I disagree with that assessment because I was not bumping the thread for any reason except for just to have a fun banter with other people who were looking at my thread. This is something that I have seen on many threads here on the boards and quite frankly it is the thing that I think makes the boards more fun and community oriented than other venues.   

I have posted screenshots of what I am talking about and what I assume must be the bumping in question because it was pulled after this. This all happened over a very short period of time and there was absolutely no intention of any of this being something to keep my thread near the top of the board.  

Is penalizing this kind of thing what we this is coming to? That is very disappointing. In the words of Robert Plant “Lighten up baby, I’m in love with you.”

@Point Five @StingerMcK @jimjum12 @Mystafo @Markentoth @Bird @Spyder! @BuscemasAvengers @Bat34 @DeadOne @CatskillMike @skypinkblu @telerites @ChiSoxFan @1950's war comics @szavisca @adampasz @entalmighty1 @Readcomix @newshane

Wow.  I must admit I would have never dreamt that to be the reason.  I have seen folks even solicit banter in their threads which I am sure is just to keep the thread fun and lively although it does bump the thread when someone posts.  I do understand taking up real estate on the first page but I did not feel there was anything excessive.  Not that my opinion matters at all.

I take more issue when folks post multiple sales threads instead combining into one.  Longer sales threads like Rick's where more books are posted will get folks posting on the books and not just I'll take it.  I commonly comment on how nice a book in a sales thread.  

I kind of wish the mods would issue a PM warning to the OP if they receive a complaint.  Then pull it if the seller doesn't comply.  

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I have an answer from the moderator now.   I am being told that I bumped the thread excessively. I disagree with that assessment because I was not bumping the thread for any reason except for just to have a fun banter with other people who were looking at my thread. This is something that I have seen on many threads here on the boards and quite frankly it is the thing that I think makes the boards more fun and community oriented than other venues.   

I have posted screenshots of what I am talking about and what I assume must be the bumping in question because it was pulled after this. This all happened over a very short period of time and there was absolutely no intention of any of this being something to keep my thread near the top of the board.  

Is penalizing this kind of thing what we this is coming to? That is very disappointing. In the words of Robert Plant “Lighten up baby, I’m in love with you.”

@Point Five @StingerMcK @jimjum12 @Mystafo @Markentoth @Bird @Spyder! @BuscemasAvengers @Bat34 @DeadOne @CatskillMike @skypinkblu @telerites @ChiSoxFan @1950's war comics @szavisca @adampasz @entalmighty1 @Readcomix @newshane

265EB426-416D-47A9-A942-00C4EDE70A3E.png

833947AB-9B8C-4695-8BC6-DEA91260C090.png

AA5199ED-08D5-4F3B-A9FF-AB7BDEBBBA3B.png

Seems like the moderators were a bit harsh in this case, we’ve all seen many other sales threads with similar banter between the seller and boardies

Perhaps the moderators are trying to kill the sales subforums altogether. Mixed and Copper/Modern are effectively dead.

I still like buying and selling here but it is getting incrementally more difficult with each passing month.

11 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
12 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Perhaps the moderators are trying to kill the sales subforums altogether. Mixed and Copper/Modern are effectively dead.

I still like buying and selling here but it is getting incrementally more difficult with each passing month.

Your avatar says it all Ryan

I've been reading this thread and feeling frustrated. It seems to me that moderation and admin seem to go out of their way to upset people lately. I know this is just a chat forum, and we are all adults, but I think they sometimes forget that there are often decent honourable people at the end of these heavy handed decisions who may - just may - take offence at being effectively told off like they are some child. Meanwhile, other incessantly contentious posters wreak havoc on a daily basis without censure by sticking carefully to 'the letter of the law' whilst sticking two fingers up to the spirit of them.

Rick - we don't know each other, and I'm not a buyer on these boards, but I do read your threads if only to look at all the lovely books. I think you've been treated shoddily, without respect* and it would not surprise me in the least if you decided to take your books elsewhere.

But please don't - start up a journal instead (thumbsu

*Cue Godfather gifs

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

@Ricksneatstuff

This is good that you received clarification. Personally I've never seen what the big deal is about being at the top of the page. If people are buying the books, the thread bumps itself.... if not, then the selection just isn't working at that time. Try it again in a few weeks.  I know if I'm away from the bpards for a while, I go back through everything I haven't seen, no matter what page it's on. The only problem I have is that I feel that there should be a rule that NO books can be posted For Sale while I'm sleeping. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Are you doing your best @1950's war comics impression Jimbo?  :banana: 

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I have an answer from the moderator now.   I am being told that I bumped the thread excessively.

Ahh, that clears it up. Except for the part where that completely makes no sense.  (shrug)

21 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Ahh, that clears it up. Except for the part where that completely makes no sense.  (shrug)

This is the CGC forum moderation team don't forget. Making sense is not required. Nor is consistency, fairness, even handedness.....

I also want to make another thing very clear. I do not ever bump my threads with a hidden post with intention of making it more visible... Ever.

If I have ever made a post on my thread and hidden it - it was only because I made a mistake on making the post, not to bump it. I have quoted a book as sold by PM and then hid it because something changed and the deal fell through. I have made a comment and then hid it because I realized that the comment was not needed and honestly in those cases I was not the only person making posts on my threads and if it bumped it would have been for a very short time before someone else commented. I know those rules and I know the mods see that stuff and I have NO NEED whatsoever to do that. Someone brought it to my attention that it could be bumping then hiding. NOPE- never with intention. I think my threads usually speak for themselves and don't need a ton of bumping.

My past threads that were pulled were pulled for forgetting to pull books from eBay before selling here. This is the reason I was given for my past few thread removals. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I also want to make another thing very clear. I do not ever bump my threads with a hidden post with intention of making it more visible... Ever.

If I have ever made a post on my thread and hidden it - it was only because I made a mistake on making the post, not to bump it. I have quoted a book as sold by PM and then hid it because something changed and the deal fell through. I have made a comment and then hid it because I realized that the comment was not needed and honestly in those cases I was not the only person making posts on my threads and if it bumped it would have been for a very short time before someone else commented. I know those rules and I know the mods see that stuff and I have NO NEED whatsoever to do that. Someone brought it to my attention that it could be bumping then hiding. NOPE- never with intention. I think my threads usually speak for themselves and don't need a ton of bumping.

Indeed. I see Deadone invited one half of the Sinister Six to comment several posts back. And I see they haven't. They should pop in, apologise, and then instruct moderation to be a little more understanding in future. Contact members first before pulling threads, especially when there is doubt and the poster in question is clearly of good standing.  Moderating a forum must be a rotten job. But that doesn't mean you have to be rotten at it. 

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Seems like the moderators were a bit harsh in this case, we’ve all seen many other sales threads with similar banter between the seller and boardies

Likely was pulled by a moderator who also sells books here. 2c 

In my private communication with Mods regarding this I have made it clear that I appreciate the difficult job they have and appreciate their efforts in the forum.  

I also did see now in the email I got about the thread being pulled it did say “excessive bumping”. I didn’t see that and I want to publicly acknowledge that. I actually did have that reason given in the email and missed it.  The only bumping I am aware of is what I show as the little banter going back and forth between us though.  

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I would hope it’s not that nefarious. 

The only people that would care, truly, would be another who sells books here and thinks 'why can he keep bumping like this?'  Replying to comments is not excessive bumping.  

6 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

The only people that would care, truly, would be another who sells books here and thinks 'why can he keep bumping like this?'  Replying to comments is not excessive bumping.  

I’ve had smaller threads that didn’t have tons of interest and have watched threads with more comments and banter back and forth knock me down.  Never have I ever had any ill will towards those or felt I was missing buyers from it. If I am halfway down the page and it is dead I usually just change wording in my title on my first post to highlight different books or something. I’ve always felt if you are on the first page people will see you. Lately, it usually takes a while to get knocked off the first page too.