• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Foley said:

"Happy to complete the sale on Ebay through my Private link since that grants 0% Final Value Fees for me. If you got a 10% Ebay Bucks coupon going on, it's a double win for you too! Ask me in PMs though about this."

Came across this in Modern.

It looks to be at least a violation of the PayPal rule, as in, offering a discount for an alternative payment method. Would it also violate the "board exclusive offer", or no? Just curious as I've never seen it before and aren't too familiar with eBay "private links". It sound like the books aren't technically for sale to the public on eBay, but I'm not sure how I feel about taking the transaction off the boards. If something went sideways, would the parties involved still be eligible for probation etc?

It doesn't sound like this should be allowed on the boards.  

As far as recourse to the PL, any transaction between Boardies in whatever venue is eligible, it is not the venue that matters, but whether, at the time of the transaction, both parties were Board members.

As for whether that thread in particular is conform to the rules, post a link if you can...the logic as I read it is "if you want to do this elsewhere let me know..." etc, and I guess if the seller simply removed it from sale here and relocated it elsewhere before finalizing any sale, it would be legit....what you cannot do is have it here and on Ebay at the same time as you advertise it as available to Board members....whether this prejudices Paypal is a separate question but I have no idea what a "private" Ebay account looks like...

1 hour ago, crassus said:

As far as recourse to the PL, any transaction between Boardies in whatever venue is eligible, it is not the venue that matters, but whether, at the time of the transaction, both parties were Board members.

As for whether that thread in particular is conform to the rules, post a link if you can...the logic as I read it is "if you want to do this elsewhere let me know..." etc, and I guess if the seller simply removed it from sale here and relocated it elsewhere before finalizing any sale, it would be legit....what you cannot do is have it here and on Ebay at the same time as you advertise it as available to Board members....whether this prejudices Paypal is a separate question but I have no idea what a "private" Ebay account looks like...

Re-reading it, I'm not sure whether it skirts the PayPal rule either. Anybody know what an eBay private link is? 

4 hours ago, Foley said:

Re-reading it, I'm not sure whether it skirts the PayPal rule either. Anybody know what an eBay private link is? 

Am I reading this right. He's also steering you to E bay to do the sale if you choose. What's a private link? Do it on the side through a P.M.?

Edited by DR.X

5 hours ago, Foley said:

Thanks for the link. I second your question, I think the answer to that will help answer the Paypal question...

37 minutes ago, DR.X said:

Am I reading this right. He's also steering you to E bay to do the sale if you choose. What's a private link? Do it on the side through a P.M.?

I don't like the sound of it.  

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

Just wondering, is there some tactic to asking WAAAAYYYYY above all time GPA highs?

No one in particular, just seeing it enough to wonder what I am missing?

Optimism;) LOTS and lots of Optimism, those are "the glass is not only not half full, but it's running over the top" kinds of people (or they are just here for money?)

11 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Just wondering, is there some tactic to asking WAAAAYYYYY above all time GPA highs?

No one in particular, just seeing it enough to wonder what I am missing?

9 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Optimism;) LOTS and lots of Optimism, those are "the glass is not only not half full, but it's running over the top" kinds of people (or they are just here for money?)

It doesn't bother me when someone's ask seems exorbitant.  They can ask whatever but won't get takers.  Not too long ago, someone started their sales thread by saying something like, pricing these high because I really don't want to sell them.  Great sales tactic lol

What does bother me though is quoting GPA to price raws.  I wold be okay if the price reflected cost of slabbing factored in but it is misleading, imo.  I can see showing GPA data as a reference but not as basis of ask.  

dude had it linked to ebay, I called him out, he took out the link to ebay, but left the ebay auction up.

4 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

I'll never understand the "I don't really want to sell it" tactic.  

Every man has a price!

Image result for million dollar man

Realistically, some people are giant whores as far as their collection is concerned.  Nothing is sacred, anything and everything is for sale.  I understand the tactic, but not the thinking behind it.

13 hours ago, telerites said:

What does bother me though is quoting GPA to price raws.  I wold be okay if the price reflected cost of slabbing factored in but it is misleading, imo.  I can see showing GPA data as a reference but not as basis of ask.  

Yep, any misuse of GPA is gonna get called out in my book. People assume if you are quoting GPA you are being accurate. But lots of people tell 1/2 the story... like citing last sale when its an outlier (but not saying its an outlier) or ignoring when there being more recent data at .5 higher or lower grade that points to the book trending down...

8 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

I'll never understand the "I don't really want to sell it" tactic.  

Occasionally someone really doesn't want to sell something, but for the most part I think people try to create a perception of great personal worth. What surprises me, it sometimes it seems to work.

I'm with you though, if I really don't want to sell something, why would I list it in a sales forum?

I just have to say, I say, I enjoy changing my sales thread title constantly to reflect what is in there. I imagine it makes the thread harder to find sometimes but am fine with that trade-off. And you can make ginormous titles with the new (new-ish) boards software, which I enjoy as well. It makes for good hucksterism.

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

I just have to say, I say, I enjoy changing my sales thread title constantly to reflect what is in there. I imagine it makes the thread harder to find sometimes but am fine with that trade-off. And you can make ginormous titles with the new (new-ish) boards software, which I enjoy as well. It makes for good hucksterism.

You’re such a Bird!