• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

On November 20, 2018 at 3:38 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Just wondering, is there some tactic to asking WAAAAYYYYY above all time GPA highs?

No one in particular, just seeing it enough to wonder what I am missing?

This would assume that everyone uses GPA.

weird price comping.

There are plenty of comps for the wolverine SS book, but he cites a True Believer copy sale (that I cant find at the moment), and he has listed an ASM 122 SS that just sold on ebay last week for the exact same ammount.

16 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

weird price comping.

There are plenty of comps for the wolverine SS book, but he cites a True Believer copy sale (that I cant find at the moment), and he has listed an ASM 122 SS that just sold on ebay last week for the exact same ammount.

and in fact its the same asm 122 that sold on ebay 4 days ago.... maybe the seller backed out, but its a little weird.

5 hours ago, Patriot6 said:
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Just wondering, is there some tactic to asking WAAAAYYYYY above all time GPA highs?

No one in particular, just seeing it enough to wonder what I am missing?

This would also assume that everyone has a limited income as well.

I know a few rich people, and they don't really shop around much when they want something.  I also know some rich people that do.

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

This would also assume that everyone has a limited income as well.

I know a few rich people, and they don't really shop around much when they want something.  I also know some rich people that do.

This is very true. The richest people I have known would be hard to peg as such and the most indebted people that I have known looked the richest, for a while. 

Beverly Hill Billies got it right ! :preach:

I know several millionaires and you would think they work at Home Depot. Flannel shirts, jeans, and modest cars. They earned it the hard way and worked and struggled for it. If it's fed to you with a spoon, many will flaunt it around like your on a reality show.

Edited by DR.X

The wife of a very rich man, who was in construction and had tons of real estate along route 9 in central NJ, used to come to the farm market I worked at and buy the slightly spoiled fruit. You know, the bananas with brown spots already on them and the day old corn when the fresh corn was in the bin next to that. Rich people often count their pennies and that is how they believe that they became rich.

Edited by Bird

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

Rich people often count their pennies and that is how they believe that they became rich.

Well, if you boil it down to the basics, this is exactly true. They saved the money they earned/were given and it made/kept them rich. Interest used to be a trivial thing in my mind, but as I got older it really made sense to me how simple it is. Pay off debt asap, bad interest, so that the bank can pay you good interest. My old man always told me two things finically that have really stuck with me. the first was "a penny saved is a penny earned," and the second was write a hit song so you can sit on your rear all and walk to the mail box once a month to get your royalty check. I see interest like the royalty check, you're sitting on your rear getting paid for essentially nothing. They are giving you money because you have money...dreamy. 

Unfortunately, I never wrote that hit.  

7 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

just replace the word GPA with the word "market value" 

Plenty of ways to monitor the market on your books without subscribing to GPA. (That assumes you care to monitor the market)

You can also have the business model to be oblivious to the market, ask your prices and then be fine if they dont sell. 

It wouldnt be MY business model, but it could be someones...

7 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

just replace the word GPA with the word "market value" 

Plenty of ways to monitor the market on your books without subscribing to GPA. (That assumes you care to monitor the market)

You can also have the business model to be oblivious to the market, ask your prices and then be fine if they dont sell. 

It wouldnt be MY business model, but it could be someones...

You're correct. But, if one doesn't use/know of GPA or even eBay sold function, yet has a copy of OSP...prices can be just as out of whack, in either direction. 

On 11/28/2018 at 8:51 AM, Bird said:

The wife of a very rich man, who was in construction and had tons of real estate along route 9 in central NJ, used to come to the farm market I worked at and buy the slightly spoiled fruit. You know, the bananas with brown spots already on them and the day old corn when the fresh corn was in the bin next to that. Rich people often count their pennies and that is how they believe that they became rich.

As an aside, bananas with some spots are not slightly spoiled. The spots are a natural part of the ripening process.

48 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

As an aside, bananas with some spots are not slightly spoiled. The spots are a natural part of the ripening process.

Of course, but I should have said getting black.  Trust me, they wuz bad bananas! I wait for the bananas to have some spots, just ate one a few minutes ago!

Edited by Bird