• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

I love how all these wonderful newbies keep finding the CGC sales threads to hock their stuff in.

Are we boardies partial to any charitable organizations?  What would you think if we required a charitable donation to a cause of our choice when starting your first sales thread?  Either that, or no sales in your first 100 postings.  Either one would work for me.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:54 PM, grebal said:

RE: Drive by sales thread that assumes CGC shoppers are suckers.  [FF Ann 6 in 4.5 or nicer $175, one scan of book in wrinkly bag]

I agree with Cliff R not to drive away members here to participate.

I completely disagree with Cliff R that the new poster who joined to try to sell his FF Ann 6 showed any sign that he is here to participate.

Though I tried to delete my offending post in the thread (I commented that I thought it was exorbitant price) since I agree that thread krapping is lame and my opinion of his pricing is irrelevant.

I couldn't care less what he charges. He can charge whatever he wants, as can anyone but he admits on page 2 of the thread that he's not looking for a chat forum. He's only here to pimp his wares and his one attempt to do so was a sh:censored:tty one that you'd likely see from an ebay seller who has no idea what he's doing. eff him.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:36 PM, Ryan. said:

I still think there should be a minimum number of posts before a member can post at all. 

I agree with you and FineCollector but the powers that be will never do that.  

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

And you set the fine example.

Did you not troll the foodie forums for almost a year before selling the secret sauce.....:flamed:

:jokealert:

Someone mentioned it before, but it seems to be all the rage to try and post the most books ever in a single post.

Gives me neck strain to wade through all that and then how do you quote the post for what you want without making things even worse?

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

I usually just skip those types of posts.

Yup. !

Almost impossible to "quote" and take and I cant bother trying to cut and paste...

and then it's always the question of do I just post my "takes" once I see something, or do I go thru the whole list first? And nothing worse than making it to the end of the list just to see someones already taken the stuff you were about to take. 

8 minutes ago, miraclemet said:
1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

I usually just skip those types of posts.

Yup. !

Almost impossible to "quote" and take and I cant bother trying to cut and paste...

and then it's always the question of do I just post my "takes" once I see something, or do I go thru the whole list first? And nothing worse than making it to the end of the list just to see someones already taken the stuff you were about to take. 

Pure autoskip for me.  But some of them are successful anyway, so to each their own.  I got no beef with them.  You follow the rules, we're good.  We're all adults, your format or best practices is up to you.  AMERICA! 

On 12/9/2018 at 4:30 AM, FineCollector said:

I love how all these wonderful newbies keep finding the CGC sales threads to hock their stuff in.

Are we boardies partial to any charitable organizations?  What would you think if we required a charitable donation to a cause of our choice when starting your first sales thread?  Either that, or no sales in your first 100 postings.  Either one would work for me.

It would not work. You can’t force virtue on. :)

7 hours ago, Jeffro. said:
On 12/7/2018 at 11:54 PM, grebal said:

RE: Drive by sales thread that assumes CGC shoppers are suckers.  [FF Ann 6 in 4.5 or nicer $175, one scan of book in wrinkly bag]

I agree with Cliff R not to drive away members here to participate.

I completely disagree with Cliff R that the new poster who joined to try to sell his FF Ann 6 showed any sign that he is here to participate.

Though I tried to delete my offending post in the thread (I commented that I thought it was exorbitant price) since I agree that thread krapping is lame and my opinion of his pricing is irrelevant.

I couldn't care less what he charges. He can charge whatever he wants, as can anyone but he admits on page 2 of the thread that he's not looking for a chat forum. He's only here to pimp his wares and his one attempt to do so was a sh:censored:tty one that you'd likely see from an ebay seller who has no idea what he's doing. eff him.

Actually not. That was the first impression, but then he liked all the posts that constructively gave him advice on how to peruse the forum and start anew with a better sales thread.
I am not saying we should encourage sloppiness or nonchalance, but definitely "piling on" (and not in a humorous way) does not help.
Plus, if one wants to behave in a "jerky" way, this quickly shows as a lack of care/respect, so a gentle ribbing from the "vets" is all it takes to make sure he reacts & makes a negative impression to begin with.
That’s the "newbie" choice. Up to him.

7 hours ago, Jeffro. said:
On 12/9/2018 at 4:36 AM, Ryan. said:

I still think there should be a minimum number of posts before a member can post at all. 

I don’t think this would solve the problem for good. There is always an "education curve": if one wants to take advantage of something, he could just post away some stupid thing until he/she has reached the requested number of posts, and then… who cares? Now he/she’s all set up to sell cool books!

I think the only way minimum number of posts would work is if you can only make a limited number of posts per day.  You could rack a load of posts in a day with the PGM thread and so many others.  I would say you have to be a member for so long but having posts and time on the boards together shows some dedication to being a more stable member.

9 minutes ago, telerites said:

I think the only way minimum number of posts would work is if you can only make a limited number of posts per day.  You could rack a load of posts in a day with the PGM thread and so many others.  I would say you have to be a member for so long but having posts and time on the boards together shows some dedication to being a more stable member.

This is a good idea! @Architecht:)

57 minutes ago, telerites said:

The only problem with having a limit on the number of posts per day is, ironically, sales threads.  I've had some where I posted 50-100 books in a day (each with an individual post, to avoid the issues mentioned earlier in the thread with single posts that have a ton of books as a part of them).  An across-the-board limit would be problematic, only feasable if that limit could be encoded to work only with "new" members, or those with a limited number of overall posts on the forum (which is probably possible, but the more work that would entail for CGC, the less likely it would be to be done).

1 hour ago, telerites said:

A lot of site have a one month moratorium on posting the sell sections. It can be done and it helps curb the hit and run sellers/scammers.

7 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Someone mentioned it before, but it seems to be all the rage to try and post the most books ever in a single post.

Gives me neck strain to wade through all that and then how do you quote the post for what you want without making things even worse?

I agree. What is the appeal of the single post/multiple books ? I'd rather save my work after each pic and hit submit. (shrug)

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree. What is the appeal of the single post/multiple books ? I'd rather save my work after each pic and hit submit. (shrug)

I do it both ways but I find keeping everything on one page is far better than dealing with people who ask for recaps constantly or who don’t want to go through the whole thread 

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

I do it both ways but I find keeping everything on one page is far better than dealing with people who ask for recaps constantly or who don’t want to go through the whole thread 

I thought about asking the guy that has about a 100 books in his 1st post for a recap.  By the time I get to the end, I have forgotten what I saw.

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

I thought about asking the guy that has about a 100 books in his 1st post for a recap.  By the time I get to the end, I have forgotten what I saw.

What’s the difference if he had 10 books each in 10 consecutive posts (shrug)