• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

hm then it should be easy to reconstitute a sales thread.

Yup, someone I was talking to had a thread pulled a few weeks ago. I suggested he look and Voila! He found it and was able to cut and paste.  

4 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
8 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I agree with the sentiment, and I think I read somewhere that they used to do that.  I believe the current regime is looking to avoid long argumentative PM's over rule violations, so they just choose to yank them preemptively.

I can see why they yank a thread to prevent problems that crop up before the OP can address the issue.  Couldn’t the mods lock the thread and then unlock it when the OP agrees to correct it?  Makes a lot more sense than discarding the OPs work

One problem if you don't 'disappear' the thread is that, e.g., the CBC$ or PGX comic is still there listed for buyers to see, which undermines a major effect of deleting the thread - not letting members sell that type of graded book.  If thread just locked, buyers could PM the seller to buy the book. 

Other rules might also be skipped in the same way (oh, I see they locked your thread and I still want to buy your comic, I will pay the 3% surcharge, tell me your paypal . . .).

44 minutes ago, grebal said:

One problem if you don't 'disappear' the thread is that, e.g., the CBC$ or PGX comic is still there listed for buyers to see, which undermines a major effect of deleting the thread - not letting members sell that type of graded book.  If thread just locked, buyers could PM the seller to buy the book. 

Other rules might also be skipped in the same way (oh, I see they locked your thread and I still want to buy your comic, I will pay the 3% surcharge, tell me your paypal . . .).

A few posts up Sharon said she believes moderated sales threads are hidden from everyone's view except the OP.  If so that wouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by thehumantorch

42 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

A few posts up Sharon said she believes moderated sales threads are hidden from everyone's view except the OP.  If so that wouldn't be a problem. 

I was referring to the pulled threads that disappear, Grebal has a point about locked threads. Those you can see, but you can't post in them, same as all those old locked threads on the old boards.

so I need advice. Sold a slab + shipping to Canada and the buyer agreed. He asked for my paypal to pay. This was Saturday night but I go to bed early so I PM'ed him Sunday morning. He hasn't been online since  Sunday 9:07 am, before I PMed him, and my messages have gone unread. What would you do? I figure give him until Sunday night and then sell it if I can. I don't care about any lists or nominating him for anything as it looks like he is MIA but want to get my cash and sell dat slab! (ASM 3 0.5) But I also want to honor my deal and hope that he comes out of hiding. (I also hope that he is okay, that is foremost in mind.)

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Bird said:

so I need advice. Sold a slab + shipping to Canada and the buyer agreed. He asked for my paypal to pay. This was Saturday night but I go to bed early so I PM'ed him Sunday morning. He hasn't been online since  Sunday 9:07 am, before I PMed him, and my messages have gone unread. What would you do? I figure give him until Sunday night and then sell it if I can. I don't care about any lists or nominating him for anything as it looks like he is MIA but want to get my cash and sell dat slab! (ASM 3 0.5) But I also want to honor my deal and hope that he comes out of hiding. (I also hope that he is okay, that is foremost in mind.)

Any thoughts?

I think I'd give him at least a week or two unless I was in dire straits.  After that, fair game.  Especially if you give him a deadline via PM.

1 minute ago, entalmighty1 said:

I think I'd give him at least a week or two unless I was in dire straits.  After that, fair game.  Especially if you give him a deadline via PM.

Thanks. Today is a week so I thought I should seek the advice. The PM deadline was considered but he isn't reading the PMs, at least not while on the boards (I know you can see them on your phone, or at least short ones).

38 minutes ago, Bird said:

Thanks. Today is a week so I thought I should seek the advice. The PM deadline was considered but he isn't reading the PMs, at least not while on the boards (I know you can see them on your phone, or at least short ones).

A week without contact is too long. You can have PMs emailed to you too, so there really is no excuse for not getting them. If not, move on. People who claim a book shouldn't have carte blanche to pay whenever they feel like it.

34 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

A week without contact is too long. You can have PMs emailed to you too, so there really is no excuse for not getting them. If not, move on. People who claim a book shouldn't have carte blanche to pay whenever they feel like it.

Agree.  A full week is plenty, if nothing else, to read the message.  If need be, then the buyer could try to arrange a longer time for payment. 

20 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I just want to happily point out that the mixed ages sales thread area seems to have experienced a resurrection from the dead! Kudos to the band of boardies who have bounced it back of late.

I killed it in there last month and posted some stuff today as well. Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised at the action my books got and hope for more of the same. If not for today's ebay coupon I would have posted more in there but ebay is also killing it right now.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I killed it in there last month and posted some stuff today as well. Yes, I was very pleasantly surprised at the action my books got and hope for more of the same. If not for today's ebay coupon I would have posted more in there but ebay is also killing it right now.

I have benefited once from an Ebay coupon, and it was in a situation where the book I was buying I reasonably expected was going to be even more expensive going forward, and the discount was combined with a "best offer" that the seller accepted, and I was doing it through a US Boardie (so cheaper shipping in the end), otherwise try as I might I usually find that a 15% off coupon with a $75 maximum savings on items already 20% (or more) over market value is not much of a deal...and even then, upon further consideration, there is always the risk that a "best offer" will not be accepted until after the coupon expires, ensuring that I will regret having made the offer in the first place. lol So yeah, Ebay coupons, never a "drop everything and buy" moment in my household....

5 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Thanks to you and everybody else who chimed in and  I went on your advice told him the deal was off unless I heard from him   In short order and then I listed it on eBay and it sold immediately so thanks

28 minutes ago, Bird said:

Thanks to you and everybody else who chimed in and  I went on your advice told him the deal was off unless I heard from him   In short order and then I listed it on eBay and it sold immediately so thanks

After doing the math I lost out on $30 because of it, so that sucks! :sumo:

18 hours ago, Bird said:

Congrats, probably was a good deal for the buyer with the 15% off coupon yesterday.  (thumbsu