• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm surprised you didn't know, wasn't there an issue a few years ago? I could have sworn you were posting about it and you were pretty upset? Anyway, it's easy to just hide the posts.  That way nothing gets messed up.

That’s right Sharon. Good memory. 

I believe one of the holiday sales threads was moved from G/S/B to Mixed bc of this same issue. And if I’m not mistaken, after either some PMs or phone calls, it was moved back to G/S/B. 

This jog any memories @Dale Roberts? How do you have that sort of pull? 

18 minutes ago, zosocane said:

This.  What Dale does on his annual holiday thread is really not different to what he does at conventions -- or on his web site.  His table/wall area at shows usually has plenty of traffic, in contrast to some other dealer areas that are just dead because books area terribly over-priced or are graded terribly -- or both.  Price reasonably and grade correctly and people come back, again and again.

Also, Dale's thread has become a tradition.  Something like 4 consecutive years running?  Plenty of potential buyers, even if they can't "F5" fast enough, have tons of fun.  I got beat plenty on night 1 because I wasn't able to get to a desktop and had to use my phone.  That's my problem.  Still, it was like being a kid in a candy store.

I'm pretty sure, this is my 10th Holiday thread.

Dale - hi there, young feller :hi: - is a known commodity.  The quality of his books are not in question, and he doesn't really need to do a lot of 'marketing' because people already know that they are going to get exactly what is offered, because he's the one selling them.

It's a benefit to working really hard to generate and maintain a reputation.  I don't see what that is so mystifying or what have you.  Spend a couple of decades buying and selling high grade books across all genres both online and in the 'real world' and you too may someday be able to have a thread reach 'frenzy' status

Edited by Sal

18 hours ago, Sal said:

Dale - hi there, young feller :hi: - is a known commodity.  The quality of his books are not in question, and he doesn't really need to do a lot of 'marketing' because people already know that they are going to get exactly what is offered, because he's the one selling them.

It's a benefit to working really hard to generate and maintain a reputation.  I don't see what that is so mystifying or what have you.  Spend a couple of decades buying and selling high grade books across all genres both online and in the 'real world' and you too may someday be able to have a thread reach 'frenzy' status

That does bring up an interesting point.  Why don’t more of the big con dealers run yearly board sales?  Especially when they see the success that Dale has?  We have a few prolific sellers on the boards but when a dealer brings basically a whole booth worth of books it is something to see.  Harley isn’t active enough and I doubt he would do very good since his prices are big con aggressive but why doesn’t  Reese or some of the other big dogs put together a big thread every year?  Too much work, too cheap prices to justify the time?

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

That does bring up an interesting point.  Why don’t more of the big con dealers run yearly board sales?  Especially when they see the success that Dale has?  We have a few prolific sellers on the boards but when a dealer brings basically a whole booth worth of books it is something to see.  Harley isn’t active enough and I doubt he would do very good since his prices are big con aggressive but why doesn’t  Reese or some of the other big dogs put together a big thread every year?  Too much work, too cheap prices to justify the time?

Packing is a beach!

32 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

If you really think about this question, you'll surmise the answer rather quickly....

21 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

That really shouldn’t matter.  1 post of 100k posts, the rules should apply evenly across the board.  If Dale violates them (and he has), his thread should be subject to the same punishments as every one before him.  

Agreed, let's all play by the same rules and follow the rules.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Reese had a 50+ page sale about a year ago in Nov.

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

in previous years, Greg has done multiple threads, but he now is more focused on driving traffic directly to his website.  Same for Bob, he has a great website, selling here isn't really productive.  Harley and others aren't going to be bothered, because it's a ton of work.  Dale has the benefit of an almost decade long following for this holiday thread and only recently put up his website, so it makes sense to continue it.  Don't surprised if he gives it up some time soon though.  

I’ve always thought that tossing a few out of period books in a thread is no big deal, assuming it’s really clear that its truly an exception.  2-3% out of hundreds of books doesn’t seem like a big deal. ON THE OTHERHAND, seeing 20-30 copper books in a row in a thread is a tough look, especially if they are clearly past the cutoff, which would generously be 1985 in my view.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:47 AM, Foolkiller said:

Guys (and ladies) -- I've seen some of these comments floating around, and frankly it smacks of just jealousy

I took it as simply a point of discussion, which i think is the point of this thread.

Why would buying and selling habits be off limits for discussion?

What about grading?

Some of the big sellers here often miss the mark, is that not allowed either?

Maybe we should compile a list of areas never to be discussed.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, Columbia Comics said:

That’s right Sharon. Good memory. 

I believe one of the holiday sales threads was moved from G/S/B to Mixed bc of this same issue. And if I’m not mistaken, after either some PMs or phone calls, it was moved back to G/S/B. 

This jog any memories @Dale Roberts? How do you have that sort of pull? 

no offense but this sounds a bit of butthurt to me

7 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

Sorry if this is a question that can be found elsewhere but, can shipping charges be included in the sell price as long as it's noted in the initial description of the sale?

Yes.