• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

I hate it when sellers quote specific GPA stats to help their cause. When selling a CR/OW book is it fair to quote against the latest GPA stats for a White Pagers ? I wish we could thread krap more, I would love to call them out in the thread. 

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I hate it when sellers quote specific GPA stats to help their cause. When selling a CR/OW book is it fair to quote against the latest GPA stats for a White Pagers ? I wish we could thread krap more, I would love to call them out in the thread. 

can you tell page quality on gpa? That would be good to know.

1 minute ago, DeadOne said:

(shrug)

Nobody posts links in here anymore. They just drive by bi tch and move along... much like the sellers they're bi tchin' about.  

I demand an investigation.............................................................. or something. ^^

33 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, usually PQ is available. 

I don’t see it on GPA I do see that if you click through the certification number onto CGc it shows, is that what you mean 

3 hours ago, Bird said:

I don’t see it on GPA I do see that if you click through the certification number onto CGc it shows, is that what you mean 

Yes. I guess you're right, it's technically not on GPA but you can see it via the Link to CGC. It's a PITA to look at them individually but it's something. 

On 12/11/2018 at 8:18 PM, cmcfan said:

It flowed out pretty easily and quickly.  You must have not read the rules either if you think it's quicker to read them then type that short phrase. :foryou: The point was the lack of communication and respect for the time and effort it takes to do a sales thread.  You know 'skypinkblue' how long it can take to get ready for a thread, let alone the time to post the photos and descriptions.  Yet in that multi hour time frame you have spent it can all just go away in a flash with a lame email response.  I think email correspondence could have stated something as simple as, you must add a return policy or please remove.... or That phrasing is.... I don't think that is asking to much, I have talked to many people on these boards and they all feel the same way.  I am not asking for some massive change, just a small one for the better.

Real simple. Read and follow the rules and you won't have a sales thread pulled. 

It takes a lot less time to read the rules than it does to post "photos and descriptions." 

The rules aren't that hard to follow. 

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

you got that right! But you are also right in that PQ really matters!

It does, but the premium some sellers demand at times gets a little :screwy:

9 hours ago, Bird said:

you got that right! But you are also right in that PQ really matters!

I've seen people on the boards claim that CGC's PQ grades are highly inconsistent...

The seller is (apparently) already pricing below GPA average. What should the seller do to be more transparent about the PQ issue?

Edited by adampasz

27 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I would actually prefer a rule that prohibited any statements about gpa in sales threads. Without a complete gpa chart for context the quoted numbers are meaningless. And sellers tend to only post them when it’s self-serving. 

I get that, and I see a lot of abuse of using it (e.g., taking the last sale and calling it GPA).  I thought I was being very inclusive by using 90-day and 12-month, both of which had plenty of data points.  But to appease the Chicago contingent :baiting:, I pulled the reference to GPA.

Edited by KPR Comics

41 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I would actually prefer a rule that prohibited any statements about gpa in sales threads. Without a complete gpa chart for context the quoted numbers are meaningless. And sellers tend to only post them when it’s self-serving. 

No need for another rule. 

The buyer is free to: 

1. Ignore the numbers

2. Check for themselves

30 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

I get that, and I see a lot of abuse of using it (e.g., taking the last sale and calling it GPA).  I thought I was being very inclusive by using 90-day and 12-month, both of which had plenty of data points.  But to appease the Chicago contingent :baiting:, I pulled the reference to GPA.

My comment was not in any way directed at you. 

I was referencing books where the number of transactions is not very high so you can have a situation where a 3.0 has a 90 day average of 2500 from 2 sales (with an outlier raising the average) and have a 4.0 sell for 2200 and the seller only quotes the 3.0 average.

15 minutes ago, newshane said:

No need for another rule. 

The buyer is free to: 

1. Ignore the numbers

2. Check for themselves

Many people do not have gpa and may rely on the quoted number. (I do have gpa and use it often and think everyone who buys graded books should subscribe).

And yes, people should research for themselves.

I'm just annoyed whenever I see a gpa price that's clearly not representative of recent sales and being used with specific intent to deceive (this is of course not most people).

Edited by Red84
typo

36 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Many people do not have gpa and may rely on the quoted number. (I do have gpa and use it often and think everyone who buys graded books should subscribe).

Too bad. 

Anyone serious enough to conduct trade in graded slabs should make sure they have access to GPA. 

We don't need rules to govern common sense and responsibility. 

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

Too bad. 

Anyone serious enough to conduct trade in graded slabs should make sure they have access to GPA. 

We don't need rules to govern common sense and responsibility. 

We would not allow someone to lie about gpa and say a book sold for an amount that it did not sell for.

My view is that giving out of context gpa quotes is equivalent to flat out lying.