• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I'm still here. As lame as ever. Lamer even! 

I am sure you are as lame as ever.

Don’t ever change.

Unless you can get lamer still.

5 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Check out

#7, here. I believe that's the broad description of what not to do, that includes thread k's;)

Interesting. I don't remember ever seeing this before. Maybe when I first signed up. If this is the #7 you are refering to, it is very broad scoped, almost to the point that every thread has been violated. 

'Hijacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic against the objections of the thread creator'.

So, there is no 'krap' rule specifically in Selling thread Rules ?I really could not find anything. Don't get me wrong, I am not an advocate of 'threadkrapping' , I'm just trying to figure out what specifically constitutes a 'threadkrap' in the Boards viewpoint.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

15 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Interesting. I don't remember ever seeing this before. Maybe when I first signed up. If this is the #7 you are refering to, it is very broad scoped, almost to the point that every thread has been violated. 

'Hijacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic against the objections of the thread creator'.

So, there is no 'krap' rule specifically in Selling thread Rules ?I really could not find anything. Don't get me wrong, I am not an advocate of 'threadkrapping' , I'm just trying to figure out what specifically constitutes a 'threadkrap' in the Boards viewpoint.

Well, if you have a job that requires writing rules, you learn to make them broad, lol. I didn't write anything here ...I probably couldn't FIND the rules for a few years, but I once upon a time helped write rules for my real life occupation;)

No matter how you phrase something, SOMEONE will pick it apart. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the key to that rule, and hence the intended spirit, is the phrase “objections of the thread creator.”

That is certainly what I meant and I think you are glossing right by that. The banter and back and forth bs was almost every single time encouraged by, and with participation of, the thread creator. You mentioned that you have to scroll for pages to see what’s for sale. What YOU want is a sterile sales thread. Cool. Boring as hell but that works for you. 

I would encourage more banter as it has been proven out to foster a closer knit community or at least the possibility of one. I hesitate to say anything, until recently, in any sales thread because it seems so impersonal around here. And I mean as far as being silly with “useless” banter.

After Stan passed, there was a sales thread immediately afterwards with signed Stan books. Several people voiced their displeasure and the thread starter stopped the thread. Was that rule technically violated? Absolutely. Did the thread starter do anything technically wrong? Nope. It was still the right thing to do although technically wrong. 

Which is what I am saying should be able to be done in cases of misuse of GPA. In the case you are talking about, I didn’t consider it egregious in any way. You did. Would mentioning that in that thread be a sh&tshow? In reality, the community would/should let you know at that point.

In my opinion, that is how the sales threads should be run/managed etc. Have fun, make jokes and maybe sell some books. The current prevailing method of sell and sell at GPA highs and then make some more rules seems a great way of turning the sales forum into EBay-lite.

I don’t know if that is possible any more but why not?

Edited by Park

46 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I kind of miss certain snarky thread krapping. I seem to remember that it became verboten all of a sudden, it was quite a while ago...but it was wilder back then (and as Park said more fun;) 

Yeah, there were many people who were subtle and very good at it (cough comix4fun cough) in the most deserved situations.

Granted two or three people dropping justified threadkrapping hints in one thread was ideal but it was the 4th through 40th guy to come in and stab the already slayed dragon that made it untenable sometimes. lol

What is the opinion of Gerber Photojournals? Can they be in G/S/B? I posted a Gerber Photojournal 1991 calendar in my thread, is that okay? Sidenote, the date for my birthday has Dover BIRD on it! (My wife's birthday has Black Cat Mysteries onit.)

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

It seems like the break-up of the different sales sections causes more harm than solving any perceived problems. 

Why am I wrong? 

I agree with you. For those that argue we have too many rules, requiring different categories for the sales threads seems a classic overkill.

15 hours ago, Park said:

I think the key to that rule, and hence the intended spirit, is the phrase “objections of the thread creator.”

That is certainly what I meant and I think you are glossing right by that. The banter and back and forth bs was almost every single time encouraged by, and with participation of, the thread creator. You mentioned that you have to scroll for pages to see what’s for sale. What YOU want is a sterile sales thread. Cool. Boring as hell but that works for you. 

I would encourage more banter as it has been proven out to foster a closer knit community or at least the possibility of one. I hesitate to say anything, until recently, in any sales thread because it seems so impersonal around here. And I mean as far as being silly with “useless” banter.

After Stan passed, there was a sales thread immediately afterwards with signed Stan books. Several people voiced their displeasure and the thread starter stopped the thread. Was that rule technically violated? Absolutely. Did the thread starter do anything technically wrong? Nope. It was still the right thing to do although technically wrong. 

Which is what I am saying should be able to be done in cases of misuse of GPA. In the case you are talking about, I didn’t consider it egregious in any way. You did. Would mentioning that in that thread be a sh&tshow? In reality, the community would/should let you know at that point.

In my opinion, that is how the sales threads should be run/managed etc. Have fun, make jokes and maybe sell some books. The current prevailing method of sell and sell at GPA highs and then make some more rules seems a great way of turning the sales forum into EBay-lite.

I don’t know if that is possible any more but why not?

In the old days, threads that started getting too heated could be solved by posting 'naughty' pictures. Some threads were even dedicated to the 'naughty' pictures. I do miss those threads. It's a politically correct world today and I suspect some get offended by certain banter. Teasing gets interpreted as disrespect. Many new guys are short tempered. It's just not here, it's pervasive. I feel old.

40 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In the old days, threads that started getting too heated could be solved by posting 'naughty' pictures. Some threads were even dedicated to the 'naughty' pictures. I do miss those threads. It's a politically correct world today and I suspect some get offended by certain banter. Teasing gets interpreted as disrespect. Many new guys are short tempered. It's just not here, it's pervasive. I feel old.

OK, don't laugh, but *I* miss those threads...I didn't pay much attention other than to post a Hugh Jackman or some other guy picture occasionally, but people seemed to be having fun, so I didn't see the harm.

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I may be in the minority but, It would be brutal for me, if all ages were in one section.   

What about two sections?  I've been wondering if it's worth having subsections in the sales forum for approved sellers only.  One fixed set of rules, approved by members, written in stone.  Not on the list?  Cant post in these subforums.  Have gold/silver/bronze, and copper/modern/other for approved sellers only.  Brand new members or occasional sellers can do it in "uncertified - all ages".  New members can be voted in based on good behavior in uncertified.