• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Park said:

People have been given strikes for threadkrapping in the past. Threadkrapping in the past being defined as being a complete tool in someone's thread along the lines of continuing a fight from somehwere else on the boards or reaming them on grading (not in any type of constructive way) or accusing them of something underhanded.

I don't think there are different opinions as to what constitutes a threadkrap but more of degrees. I consider something crude and classless that impedes a seller from selling a book that has no basis in tact or fact and would get you (general you) punched in the mouth if you said it at someone's booth.

"Isn't GPA a little lower than that" most likely doesn't get you punched but "Your books are overgraded and look like krap" loudly as you walk by is probably gonna get you thumped.

I am not sure how you think banter is krapping? Joking and goofing is banter. Between people who know each other or, at the very least, are clearly goofing and the seller doesn't care. In the case you mentioned, the seller cared. 

There shouldn't need to be a hard and fast rule around this. The majority is common sense. If societal norms preclude you from saying it in person, it should be the same here but don't be shocked at what happens if you say it anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Good points. Regarding the banter, I don't think it helps the seller. Some of these sales threads get so large that a potential buyer can lose interest in paging through the whole thread. If the thread is additionally packed with banter, it really gets annoying. I have often left a thread without completion because I was annoyed with all the fluff. But, as you said, if the seller doesn't care then so be it. 

42 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks for the reply. Good points. Regarding the banter, I don't think it helps the seller. Some of these sales threads get so large that a potential buyer can lose interest in paging through the whole thread. If the thread is additionally packed with banter, it really gets annoying. I have often left a thread without completion because I was annoyed with all the fluff. But, as you said, if the seller doesn't care then so be it. 

I can see that as far as a buyer and hear what you are saying.

Sometimes that extra activity  could simply draw more attention and could interest more buyers.

Recap posts are a great idea when you get tired of scrolling and most of the sellers with large threads here have taken to doing that.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:
4 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Yes, that is krapping, however I agree that the book is not 8.5 .

That's more like an ebay 8.5.   If it was my book for sale, though, I wouldn't mind the quoted comment.  It's not malicious, just his opinion.  Shouldn't part of the krapping be in the eye of the target? 

1 minute ago, Spidey 62 said:

That's more like an ebay 8.5.   If it was my book for sale, though, I wouldn't mind the quoted comment.  It's not malicious, just his opinion.  Shouldn't part of the krapping be in the eye of the target? 

I really want to agree with you but a comment about grade usually brings out the pitchfork crowd on the Boards. As I keep saying, when it comes to threadkrapping and what is allowed/not allowed, I am confused.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I really want to agree with you but a comment about grade usually brings out the pitchfork crowd on the Boards. As I keep saying, when it comes to threadkrapping and what is allowed/not allowed, I am confused.

If that has been the history here (of which I have not been around for) then I understand how the definition should be tightly drawn. 

5 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

If that has been the history here (of which I have not been around for) then I understand how the definition should be tightly drawn. 

Historically, the Boards have not been forgiving on even a hint of a 'krap'. Interesting to see the above comment about grade did not receive a reaction in the seller's thread. Are we softening up around here ?

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Historically, the Boards have not been forgiving on even a hint of a 'krap'. Interesting to see the above comment about grade did not receive a reaction in the seller's thread. Are we softening up around here ?

I'm waiting for you to lead the way, Bob.  I mean, it is Friday.  :grin:

46 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

It is a dikk move. Regardless of the intent ( and I agree that it wasn’t over the top) but it is still a dikk move.

The seller ignored it for who knows what reason but just general courtesy in this “community” shouldn’t allow for that

There have been threads in the past where sellers have had many overgrazed books and someone contacted them via PM and graciously pointed out the lack of grading skills. These aren’t blind auctions. The pics/scans will show most overgrading.

Although this example isn’t egregious, it shouldn’t set a precedent that it is ok as what you and I think is not a big deal can differ greatly and then every swinging dong is in there commenting on grades. 

2 hours ago, Park said:

I can see that as far as a buyer and hear what you are saying.

Sometimes that extra activity  could simply draw more attention and could interest more buyers.

Recap posts are a great idea when you get tired of scrolling and most of the sellers with large threads here have taken to doing that.

Yes, the recap is everyone's friend. There was a sales thread recently where the seller specifically asked that you only quote the book if you were buying it. Apparently, in the past, potential buyers would see the book quoted and assume it was sold. Of course, the bantering crowd ignored his request and quoted anyway. Often, the 'nice book', 'nice price' comments seem tongue in cheek, giving pause to buyers. I think bantering is fine, after the book has sold. Otherwise, it's just 'krap'. Sorry. 

12 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I hope the books that get relisted over and over again sell this year.  :wishluck:

I get the point but if listing a book is only 6 cents for a month then the seller is only out $0.75 in fees for the entire year.  If you are talking about a $80 book that is what 1% of the cost per year.  The current ebay model definetely doesn’t make you have to sell a book unless you need the cash.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I get the point but if listing a book is only 6 cents for a month then the seller is only out $0.75 in fees for the entire year.  If you are talking about a $80 book that is what 1% of the cost per year.  The current ebay model definetely doesn’t make you have to sell a book unless you need the cash.

I thought he was referring to the books that get listed over and over again here.

11 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I thought he was referring to the books that get listed over and over again here.

Here its free so even less of an incentive to blow out books. 

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Yeah, I was talking about here on the forums.  

On 1/11/2019 at 5:23 PM, Park said:

It is a dikk move. Regardless of the intent ( and I agree that it wasn’t over the top) but it is still a dikk move.

The seller ignored it for who knows what reason but just general courtesy in this “community” shouldn’t allow for that

There have been threads in the past where sellers have had many overgrazed books and someone contacted them via PM and graciously pointed out the lack of grading skills. These aren’t blind auctions. The pics/scans will show most overgrading.

Although this example isn’t egregious, it shouldn’t set a precedent that it is ok as what you and I think is not a big deal can differ greatly and then every swinging dong is in there commenting on grades. 

I think the 8.5 comment is threadkrapping and should be removed. That garbage comment belongs on Facebook, not here. 

2 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I think the 8.5 comment is threadkrapping and should be removed. That garbage comment belongs on Facebook, not here. 

It is thread krapping. You got a problem with the grade you can do two things. Don't buy or contact the seller and tell him through a p.m.