• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Take it as a compliment as you are nothing like the person I was talking about.

You're an actual member of the community as opposed to a parasite who's only here to make money.

Is it wrong that I try my best to be both? 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

Is it wrong that I try my best to be both? 

I think there a lot of people who fit both. I'm good friends with people who are both.

I was talking about someone who only sees people here as $ signs.

Hi everyone. After my thread ended, I messaged arch about having the rules clarified. I made my suggestion, and basically, he said he didn't have a problem with a few books being mixed in, but suggested we throw this out there for everyone to discuss.  Here is how that discussion went. Let's see how the community feels about it as a whole. 

From me to Arch

Hi, I would like to propose a change to the selling forums which would make things easier for the sellers. I don't see any reason why a seller can't post the occasional copper age book in the Gold/Silver/Bronze forum. If I have 10 books, or 100 books, or 1000 books to offer on the forums, and 90% or more of them are golden/silver/bronze, I don't see any reason that makes sense why I should have to start a separate thread for those few books. 

In the past, Foolkiller, October, and I have all done this to a very minimal degree. Someone recently complained in the discussion forum about me offering a couple of books which were copper age in my sales thread. I agreed to remove the books and not offer anymore during my sale, just in order to keep the peace and not violate the rules. However, it really wasn't a problem within the thread, and as I said, it was a very minimal amount of books that fell into this discussion. I think I probably offered somewhere around 800 books, and probably no more than 25-20 would have been copper age.

My thoughts are this....The separate sales forums is here to help the user find what he is looking for, not to penalize the seller. I shouldn't have to create a new thread for 20 books in a thread of several hundred books. To me, a seller should be able to post what he wants, if he is willing to accept that the majority of people in the G/S/B are not looking for copper and modern age books. 

I hope you would consider this change. Perhaps setting a guideline of 90% book, must be in accordance with the appropriate forum, or something similar, but a few exceptions are allowed. I think this would be a benefit to buyers and sellers alike. If not, I would like to propose that specific dates and guidelines be published. If we are going to have a hard and fast rule, it seems as if we should have a hard and fast date to go by. No one seemed to know in the discussion thread, as dates ranged from 1983-1985.

Thank you for your time and consideration. 

Dale 

Hi Dale,

I don't have a strong opinion on whether a small X% of books on threads bigger than Y books should be allowed. It's ok with me if buyers and sellers agree that it's a good idea and beneficial to both. Especially if the buyers understand that the result of saying "no" isn't that sellers will make a new thread, it's that sellers won't bother to offer those books.

On the date range, I feel like any books that fall anywhere in the "contested zone" are just fine to list. In other words, if the range is 83 to 85, then let the wider range prevail. Buyers themselves won't know exactly where to look for those books anyway.

That said! If everyone can agree that SOME strict date is better than none - even if individuals disagree about what's "right" - then I'm also ok with adding a specific date.  Personally, though, I think there will always be a reason for exceptions - e.g. "Copper is clearly X date, well, except for this one major series, which of course is allowed an exception up to Y date, because everyone just KNOWS the art and style and story are more in keeping with Copper".  Those kinds of exceptions that make sense to collectors of that era are just way too difficult to police.  So if I have to pick specific dates, I would pick the widest range of each, and I would allow those dates to overlap.

Either way though, to make these changes what I'd suggest is that you start a community discussion about it and link me to it.  I'll read the feedback and try to choose something that looks like it will make the most people happy with the results.

Edited by Dale Roberts

3 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

Hi everyone. After my thread ended, I messaged arch about having the rules clarified. I made my suggestion, and basically, he said he didn't have a problem with a few books being mixed in, but suggested we throw this out there for everyone to discuss.  Here is how that discussion went. Let's see how the community feels about it as a whole. 

From me to Arch

Hi, I would like to propose a change to the selling forums which would make things easier for the sellers. I don't see any reason why a seller can't post the occasional copper age book in the Gold/Silver/Bronze forum. If I have 10 books, or 100 books, or 1000 books to offer on the forums, and 90% or more of them are golden/silver/bronze, I don't see any reason that makes sense why I should have to start a separate thread for those few books. 

In the past, Foolkiller, October, and I have all done this to a very minimal degree. Someone recently complained in the discussion forum about me offering a couple of books which were copper age in my sales thread. I agreed to remove the books and not offer anymore during my sale, just in order to keep the peace and not violate the rules. However, it really wasn't a problem within the thread, and as I said, it was a very minimal amount of books that fell into this discussion. I think I probably offered somewhere around 800 books, and probably no more than 25-20 would have been copper age.

My thoughts are this....The separate sales forums is here to help the user find what he is looking for, not to penalize the seller. I shouldn't have to create a new thread for 20 books in a thread of several hundred books. To me, a seller should be able to post what he wants, if he is willing to accept that the majority of people in the G/S/B are not looking for copper and modern age books. 

I hope you would consider this change. Perhaps setting a guideline of 90% book, must be in accordance with the appropriate forum, or something similar, but a few exceptions are allowed. I think this would be a benefit to buyers and sellers alike. If not, I would like to propose that specific dates and guidelines be published. If we are going to have a hard and fast rule, it seems as if we should have a hard and fast date to go by. No one seemed to know in the discussion thread, as dates ranged from 1983-1985.

Dale 

Hi Dale,

I don't have a strong opinion on whether a small X% of books on threads bigger than Y books should be allowed. It's ok with me if buyers and sellers agree that it's a good idea and beneficial to both. Especially if the buyers understand that the result of saying "no" isn't that sellers will make a new thread, it's that sellers won't bother to offer those books.

On the date range, I feel like any books that fall anywhere in the "contested zone" are just fine to list. In other words, if the range is 83 to 85, then let the wider range prevail. Buyers themselves won't know exactly where to look for those books anyway.

That said! If everyone can agree that SOME strict date is better than none - even if individuals disagree about what's "right" - then I'm also ok with adding a specific date.  Personally, though, I think there will always be a reason for exceptions - e.g. "Copper is clearly X date, well, except for this one major series, which of course is allowed an exception up to Y date, because everyone just KNOWS the art and style and story are more in keeping with Copper".  Those kinds of exceptions that make sense to collectors of that era are just way too difficult to police.  So if I have to pick specific dates, I would pick the widest range of each, and I would allow those dates to overlap.

Either way though, to make these changes what I'd suggest is that you start a community discussion about it and link me to it.  I'll read the feedback and try to choose something that looks like it will make the most people happy with the results.

I can see where this can be a problem for some but isn't that what the Comic Market "Mixed Age" threads are for? 

G/S/B and C/M get far more views and traction than Mixed. Its always been that way, and its not gonna change soon or easily. A couple of Copper keys tossed in with dozens of GSB books doesnt undermine the forums...

Can we talk about pitching your 4 figure book as "under graded" but only provide a photo of the front of the mid-grade book? (along with two examples of "worse looking" books in the same grade to make your case...)

Are we just supposed to take your word at it being under graded and there being no problems on the back? Doesn't makes sense to me....

40 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

From me to Arch

Dale 

Hi Dale,

I personally don't have a problem with a few books mixing in, especially if they're among several hundred correctly listed books and announced ahead of time, like yours were. 
On the other hand, it probably wouldn't have been the end of the world to start a separate sales thread for 20-30 books.

Even your own website has the eras listed with the dates that they fall into.

5 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

If this happens, people will abuse it.  i say leave it as it is.  

2 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

As it is, if you read his response, Arch doesn't have a problem with people doing it.

He said he didn't have a problem if both buyers and sellers agree it's a good idea.  Personally, I don't like the idea.  

10 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

He said he didn't have a problem if both buyers and sellers agree it's a good idea.  Personally, I don't like the idea.  

I agree, give an inch and take a mile. I do like the flexibility in dates though but saying other ages are allowed just leads to abuse.

34 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

If this happens, people will abuse it.  i say leave it as it is.  

but wasnt this how it was for years? (the occasional (ie 1 in 100) Copper key in these massive sales) And if there were ever abuses (someone listing a bunch of modern drek in GSB, or someone doing all copper) they got moved over. No fuss no muss.

The over policing of the big threads with a couple of moderns has only been getting rule policed in the last two years, and I dont recal any slippery slope problems when it was (socially) allowed in the past....

17 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

but wasnt this how it was for years? (the occasional (ie 1 in 100) Copper key in these massive sales) And if there were ever abuses (someone listing a bunch of modern drek in GSB, or someone doing all copper) they got moved over. No fuss no muss.

The over policing of the big threads with a couple of moderns has only been getting rule policed in the last two years, and I dont recal any slippery slope problems when it was (socially) allowed in the past....

This

I think it makes sense. There are maybe a dozen copper books (out of 400 older books) that I would like to include in my next thread. I'm not going to list them in a separate thread, so really they just won't get put up. I've listed 80's books in the past and they sold without complaint. As it is, excluding them is just annoying for me and less books for a potential buyer to look at.

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Can we talk about pitching your 4 figure book as "under graded" but only provide a photo of the front of the mid-grade book? (along with two examples of "worse looking" books in the same grade to make your case...)

Are we just supposed to take your word at it being under graded and there being no problems on the back? Doesn't makes sense to me....

People do that?