• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Dale Roberts said:

The problem with "this", is you don't get the same views. That's the whole point. More people shop at Wal-Mart, because they have everything. You don't have to buy everything, but it is convenient to have it all in one place.

Yes, there will be less views because less people want to view CA. Seems logical to me...

If the right books are there they will be seen and purchased. Arch favors a sliding scale for the Bronze / Copper distinction and that makes perfect sense to me, allow a little leeway but anything outright gets the hammer! Maybe if people followed the rules and placed those threads in Mixed Ages it wouldn't be such a dead forum.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I agree, Dale.  I was pointing out how difficult a poll would be because there are so many different opinions of when an era begins and ends.  And also if it is okay to post an occasional outlier, what is the number that one can post.  

I am a big fan of yours, especially your service and organization.  I personally am not averse to some outliers but if it gets to be a lot for my personal preference, I would most likely stop perusing the sales thread.  It is just such a nebulous and personal preference area, it makes it difficult with the tools offered here (and that is not a knock on CGC as they offer a marketplace at no cost and no fees).

So with all that said, I don't have an answer and I certainly wouldn't want to try to form a poll.

Very well said. I agree there are no perfect answers for every one and every situation.

To me, you hit the nail on the head when you said " I personally am not averse to some outliers but if it gets to be a lot for my personal preference, I would most likely stop perusing the sales thread."  This is what I am saying, let the free market work. The market will speak. It always does.

Anyway, I have said more than I intended to in the thread. It was not my intention to dominate the thread. I am just one of many on here, and I am willing to agree to whatever the forum decides. I would just ask that everyone consider the options and not be so intent on getting your own way. 

Besides, I've got books to ship. :tonofbricks:

On 1/14/2019 at 3:22 PM, Dale Roberts said:

I feel like any books that fall anywhere in the "contested zone" are just fine to list. In other words, if the range is 83 to 85,

Personally, I'd accept this as the answer and just leave it. I'm sure if you have one or two books out of that area no one will bother you.

By "start a discussion", if you don't want to do a poll, I think there were a few suggestions about putting it in comics general. You'd get more feedback there. Not that many people look here. Comics General is the "Amazon" area of threads.

My guess is, most people don't care about the present configuration, that it does not bother them as shoppers or sellers.

37 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Personally, I'd accept this as the answer and just leave it. I'm sure if you have one or two books out of that area no one will bother you.

By "start a discussion", if you don't want to do a poll, I think there were a few suggestions about putting it in comics general. You'd get more feedback there. Not that many people look here. Comics General is the "Amazon" area of threads.

My guess is, most people don't care about the present configuration, that it does not bother them as shoppers or sellers.

+1

comics is comics. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

30 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think the separate forums are a quick, handy way of helping folks find the eras they're interested in. It may not always be 100% effective, but it's at least a starting spot in getting people where they want to go. Great! Handy! Good. I've sold in both forums, though usually not at the same time (though maybe I have. I dunno, it's been a long 10 years.) and I didn't pay it much mind one way or the other. I put my stuff where I thought it was supposed to go, and that seemed to work out ok.

But it should be just that: a tool to help direct buyers, not a cudgel with which to bludgeon sellers.  I think Boardies do an awesome job of policing fraud and other bad behaviors, some of which have actually been criminal. We look after our own, and there are some tenacious defenders of righteousness here. It can be awesome to behold!

But this particular issue just seems like a whole lot of nothing. Is this really something worth getting riled about on either side? So a book is in the "wrong" forum. Who did it hurt? I don't see that it could hurt the buyers, because if it's not something they're interested in, they can just scroll past it. The only person I think it could hurt would be the seller, because it's possible that their potential buyers would miss the book since it's in the "wrong" spot. And that's on them.

Making sure the mods are on board is the most important thing. It would suck if a well worded complaint convinced a mod to remove a thread because of a misinterpretation, by either party, of some vague guideline.

Maybe things should be left as is with the caveat that threads will not be removed unless they violate a very specific rule.

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think the separate forums are a quick, handy way of helping folks find the eras they're interested in. It may not always be 100% effective, but it's at least a starting spot in getting people where they want to go. Great! Handy! Good. I've sold in both forums, though usually not at the same time (though maybe I have. I dunno, it's been a long 10 years.) and I didn't pay it much mind one way or the other. I put my stuff where I thought it was supposed to go, and that seemed to work out ok.

But it should be just that: a tool to help direct buyers, not a cudgel with which to bludgeon sellers.  I think Boardies do an awesome job of policing fraud and other bad behaviors, some of which have actually been criminal. We look after our own, and there are some tenacious defenders of righteousness here. It can be awesome to behold!

But this particular issue just seems like a whole lot of nothing. Is this really something worth getting riled about on either side? So a book is in the "wrong" forum. Who did it hurt? I don't see that it could hurt the buyers, because if it's not something they're interested in, they can just scroll past it. The only person I think it could hurt would be the seller, because it's possible that their potential buyers would miss the book since it's in the "wrong" spot. And that's on them.

One or two books in wrong forums are no big deal. I think the problem is there is a "mixed" section. No one wants to be in mixed it seems. I THINK because G/S/B attracts the bigger buyers. I never look in Modern, so I'm not sure. I would guess if people thought the mixed section got the buyers, there would be no problem, lots of people would sign up there. It's a shame, I've never thought of it as a vast wasteland or a punishment area, it's just a amalgam. 

But why have a section called "mixed" if you are just going to have mixed threads anywhere?  If the threads can be "mixed" then you are just going to turn G/S/B into a "Mixed forum because why would you want to be in "mixed" if you can be in the place that you think gets the most views. That's what I meant about not having any divisions or just leaving it as is. 

I agree with a lot of pieces of what everyone is saying, but to me Jimbo said it all and much better than I ever could.

10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

One or two books in wrong forums are no big deal. I think the problem is there is a "mixed" section. No one wants to be in mixed it seems. I THINK because G/S/B attracts the bigger buyers. I never look in Modern, so I'm not sure. I would guess if people thought the mixed section got the buyers, there would be no problem, lots of people would sign up there. It's a shame, I've never thought of it as a vast wasteland or a punishment area, it's just a amalgam. 

But why have a section called "mixed" if you are just going to have mixed threads anywhere?  If the threads can be "mixed" then you are just going to turn G/S/B into a "Mixed forum because why would you want to be in "mixed" if you can be in the place that you think gets the most views. That's what I meant about not having any divisions or just leaving it as is. 

I agree with a lot of pieces of what everyone is saying, but to me Jimbo said it all and much better than I ever could.

Modern is pretty robust.... threads drop off the front page quickly. When I first joined here, I'm pretty sure there was just one sales forum.....and people complained about having to scroll through so much different stuff that they didn't care about. I like it the way it is now, although I would like to be able to post Misc, stuff that relates to a particular era in that forum.... My vote is to leave it be. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/9/2019 at 10:53 AM, Logan510 said:

That would be a perfect board name for him lol

I wish I knew who it was

🙋🏻‍♂️ Guilty

yup, I had three strikes for threadkrapping. Served my punishment and haven’t had once since. 

And yeah, you are a coward Casey. Want to say bad things about me, you are welcome to. Just use my name please.  

Be the better person since I’m so horrible...

6 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ Guilty

yup, I had three strikes for threadkrapping. Served my punishment and haven’t had once since. 

And yeah, you are a coward Casey. Want to say bad things about me, you are welcome to. Just use my name please.  

Be the better person since I’m so horrible...

:popcorn:

Serious question here. In light of the lightning round action in many sales threads, the difference in simply saying 'Take' as opposed to clicking on the emoticon :takeit:could be a second or two difference. So, does a :takeit:trump a 'Take' ???  

Also, how can a seller say the timestamp rules when the current website does not support the exact time stamp ? Board sales threads are getting cutthroat lately. The 'Rules' should be more clarified. I still don't know if a Qualified :takeit:holds the book or a straight :takeit:takes priority. And don't say whatever the seller decides because that's not how it's supposed to work. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Serious question here. In light of the lightning round action in many sales threads, the difference in simply saying 'Take' as opposed to clicking on the emoticon :takeit:could be a second or two difference. So, does a :takeit:trump a 'Take' ???  

It's the same when you are using CTL+V. I still have yet to figure out how people are notified and reply before pages load but maybe that's a good thing.