• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I may be wrong, but I think it's easier to post "Take" from a phone, than to post :takeit:.  I think CGC was trying to be phone friendly when they redid the forum, but it's not really as easy as typing on a PC or laptop.

If a seller cares, he/she can state in their rules that they want a :takeit: rather than "Take" but if I had a sales thread, I probably would never ask that. I like the fact that people can buy during lunch or on a train (hopefully not while driving;) 

What might be disturbing is that it's a new trend, and some of us old timers were used to the other way. I don't know about  you, but I started here before I had a smart phone, so I never cared before.

This. In my situation yesterday, I was on my phone and typing “Take it” is miles easier than finding that icon. There was no frenzy when I hit it. Just simple ease of use.

4 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Probably about the same time CGC started grading books with sub-creases as 6.5 when that was the only "major" flaw among a few other flaws.  This book being pressed also doesn't display any handling wear, dings or dents and the only flaws are the crease (which is smoothed due to pressing) and the small tear on the front cover along with a few color breaking spine ticks.  

I've seen you comment on a lot of books and you have a notoriously harsher opinion.  Grading is subjective but I've been around long enough to know how to grade.

To each their own.

I am assuming that CGC graders use a "rubric" (like a teacher may when grading a paper) in which every book/essay starts at 100 and gets knocked down based on a menu of possible defects, each defect having a different deductible, and some very serious defects may have such a large deductible that it pretty much determines the grade (eg. cover detached = -70) and this would allow for the possibility that single defect books, with otherwise minor deductibles, could get a better than anticipated grade. Having a rubric would be the only way to ensure some consistency among an army of graders. This would also explain differences between CGC and the Overstreet Grading Guide, as the latter is based on certain defects necessarily (categorically) excluding books from certain grades. 2c

2 hours ago, crassus said:

This would also explain differences between CGC and the Overstreet Grading Guide, as the latter is based on certain defects necessarily (categorically) excluding books from certain grades. 2c

Yes.

Like for years an Overstreet "rule" for FINE is: no major creases.  And elsewhere I think "major" is 2" or longer crease.

By CGC standards that's old history, an obsolete rule, but I'd guess a lot of old school collectors still find that a valid guideline if not outright a "rule."

Edited by grebal

3 hours ago, grebal said:

Yes.

Like for years an Overstreet "rule" for FINE is: no major creases.  And elsewhere I think "major" is 2" or longer crease.

By CGC standards that's old history, an obsolete rule, but I'd guess a lot of old school collectors still find that a valid guideline if not outright a "rule."

Yup.  Practically my whole collecting life, A FINE does not have any major creases. I've been collecting since the 70's. 

I personally feel that if a seller will accept a "T" as a form of "Take it" then that's acceptable.  Seems a bit overbearing to start to install specific rules that would dictate HOW someone sells.

I think if a seller clearly defines their rules, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Only thing I could see is that its required that buyers actually quote the book, not simply "take HOS 92" or whatever...you actually quote the image.

My 2c

18 minutes ago, Columbia Comics said:

Only thing I could see is that its required that buyers actually quote the book, not simply "take HOS 92" or whatever...you actually quote the image

Why? 

12 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Do I need to specify in my for sale thread that I apply the packing tape to all my packages from left to right, except on Thursdays when it is from right to left?

Left to right is the devils packing 

27 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Do I need to specify in my for sale thread that I apply the packing tape to all my packages from left to right, except on Thursdays when it is from right to left?

I am writing all these great sales tips down.

take or take it or the icon, when accompanied with a quoteed book is a clear intent.

I dont know that I would assume "t" was a take it, or if it was a pocket post (or butt post), or even a case of PE (premature excitement about a book)...

15 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

take or take it or the icon, when accompanied with a quoteed book is a clear intent.

bingo, years ago there were sales threads ( including mine ) where someone would post the :takeit:, and two minutes later go back and delete it. when the book is quoted, you have clear intent of the purchase.

5 minutes ago, DR.X said:

bingo, years ago there were sales threads ( including mine ) where someone would post the :takeit:, and two minutes later go back and delete it. when the book is quoted, you have clear intent of the purchase.

You aren't as dumb as you look