• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

If you have a book up on IG, for instance, but say it's for sale on the CGC boards and list the price, is that the same as having it up for sale in 2 places?

Also, rant time, why do so many FB and IG sellers insist on being paid PayPal Friends and Family, even though the FB "group" says to use Good and Services (and is also against PayPal's terms)? Are these people so cheap they can't afford a 3% fee to get immediate, secure payment, or too lazy to include it in the cost of the book?

3 hours ago, manetteska said:

If you have a book up on IG, for instance, but say it's for sale on the CGC boards and list the price, is that the same as having it up for sale in 2 places?

Also, rant time, why do so many FB and IG sellers insist on being paid PayPal Friends and Family, even though the FB "group" says to use Good and Services (and is also against PayPal's terms)? Are these people so cheap they can't afford a 3% fee to get immediate, secure payment, or too lazy to include it in the cost of the book?

imo, if the final result of the IG ad is that I can contact you to purchase the book otherwise than being a Boards member, than it is not exclusive to the Boards, and it is indeed essentially for sale in 2 places. 

As for the Paypal friends and family routine, like anything else, as long as there are enough customers willing to do it, some people will keep asking for it... 2c

I have linked my cgc for sale threads to my Facebook but I wouldn't share prices there as I think that would be having them for sale in two places. I view the rule as being there to drive people to the boards. As I understand it you can advertise in other places as long as people have to come through here to buy the book.

11 hours ago, Bird said:

Geez, some very ambitious pricing going on tonight! I have ducked out of two threads now with sticker shock. I know gpa isn't the end-all-be-all of pricing but c'mon now!

Without knowing who specifically you are referring to, I am pretty sure I know at least one you may be referring to

There is one seller here who most frequently sells “Via PM”.

Not a big fan of dickering. I mostly buy at ask or simply move on. But there are all kinds of sales threads for all kinds of buyers

I must say though, the super aggressive pricing seller, I haven’t even looked at in years

I usually list my books at less than GPA myself and I don’t leave much room except for the low ballers who I don’t want to engage with

Tend to buy the same way. If my price is significantly less than your ask, I will move on

Edited by NP_Gresham

We are in a time of hyper-inflation in the market, so it goes with the territory that you will see aggressive pricing, everybody is looking to reach the next plateau. Its a judgment call for each buyer, and I used to be pretty certain that 'I would never pay those prices' etc...but sometimes I have depending on the book, if by my experience the book is hard in grade, or just hard to find, or, while it may be overpriced, it is free of certain defects common for that book, as examples. That said, I do consider the market generally full of crazy inflation, and when it will stop I have no idea. I do know that it has drastically reduced my buying and forced me to refocus my priorities. 2c

I shouldn't have just focused on yesterday's threads, there were a few from the days prior that had surprised me as well. Books at the top of gpa is one thing, it is another to tack 15-25% of top of highest sale ever on gpa or most recent sale-that is a whole 'nother level of ask. Sellers can ask whatever they want and I have priced some books over fmv at times (much more common when I was a noob seller though). I feel badly when I price a slab at top of gpa but I guess if you sell one whopper it reinforces that tendency! The books I was talking about remain unsold though for the most part. Maybe I was just mad at myself for looking at certain seller's threads despite knowing that I never buy due to what I feel is consistently (very) high pricing. One day it will be a book that grabs me though, we all know how that happens.

Edited by Bird

8 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Is there a rule against a seller deleting pictures from a thread after it’s sold? When I buy, sometimes I like to check the thread after receiving the book to ensure it’s the same. 

No there is not. 

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:
3 hours ago, crassus said:

We are in a time of hyper-inflation in the market, so it goes with the territory that you will see aggressive pricing, everybody is looking to reach the next plateau. Its a judgment call for each buyer, and I used to be pretty certain that 'I would never pay those prices' etc...but sometimes I have depending on the book, if by my experience the book is hard in grade, or just hard to find, or, while it may be overpriced, it is free of certain defects common for that book, as examples. That said, I do consider the market generally full of crazy inflation, and when it will stop I have no idea. I do know that it has drastically reduced my buying and forced me to refocus my priorities. 2c

I agree about the hyper inflation, it's already priced some of my collecting friends out of the market. One of my friends who searched eBay every day for 20 years, just stopped looking. He said it was a waste of time. He seems to have switched to collecting gold coins.

I find myself backing off lots of books that I would have grabbed a few years ago, especially books that were sold on this forum recently but seem to have doubled in price in weeks (on here) or are listed on eBay at twice the price. I just don't want to play that game.

Also, the amount of "revolving door" books/sellers (at least in GA) is depressing. This isn't a new phenomenon by any stretch, but the volume seems to have reached a new high.

1 hour ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Is there a rule against a seller deleting pictures from a thread after it’s sold? When I buy, sometimes I like to check the thread after receiving the book to ensure it’s the same. 

You could quote the picture when you do a "take", that would preserve the image, yes?

Just pirate and solar boy going back-and-forth a little don’t be a Richard And a little I have a disorder that makes me not understand  stupid people then a little don’t make fun of the disabled with a little you’re stupid thrown in