• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

There ARE also people who buy something on a Monday and by Tuesday their car explodes, really explodes.

That's why you put a remote start in and make sure your at least 100 feet from the vehicle. It's a savage land out there.

2 minutes ago, DR.X said:

That's why you put a remote start in and make sure your at least 100 feet from the vehicle. It's a savage land out there.

I thought you were out riding in 30 degree weather, dressed like a zombie;)?

50 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Hey, I remember this book. I sold it because while waiting for this book to ship from Heritage I got a higher graded copy. The funny thing is- if you want $1350 for it- I am here with cash in hand right now:foryou:^^

It will only be for sale if and when (and most likely never) it becomes my undercopy. :cloud9:

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:
3 hours ago, DR.X said:

I thought you were out riding in 30 degree weather, dressed like a zombie;)?

This video is make special for you. Apologizes for the muffled audio talking through my mask, but no one sees my face, no one.

While I've participated in the grousing in this thread, I try to stay out of it now. People's motivations and methods really aren't my business. Yes, it's a community forum and one where the community itself does most of the policing of sales threads. If someone is abiding by the community's rules, why nose in past that? Sometimes, it's like we're all sitting in our rocking chairs, shaking our fists at the kids on the grass. "Kids these days, why they've got no respect!"

Edited by DavidTheDavid

I find the term flipper strange.  Buying low and selling high is basic economics and most anyone in business is using this principle.  There is a local comic shop owner who says he hates flippers to anyone who will listen.  But he flips books every single day and twice on Saturday and I just can't see why he is not a flipper just because his overhead is higher then a flippers 13% they send to E-Bay and paypal.  People that get a steal lying that the book is going away into a collection should get outed and I agree that is a terrible practice but basic flipping is people using knowledge of the market to make a buck - can't fault them.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I find the term flipper strange.  Buying low and selling high is basic economics and most anyone in business is using this principle.  There is a local comic shop owner who says he hates flippers to anyone who will listen.  But he flips books every single day and twice on Saturday and I just can't see why he is not a flipper just because his overhead is higher then a flippers 13% they send to E-Bay and paypal.  People that get a steal lying that the book is going away into a collection should get outed and I agree that is a terrible practice but basic flipping is people using knowledge of the market to make a buck - can't fault them.

it's happened to all of us. when I was running sales threads years ago I had several people that wanted me to discount books even more because they "really need it for my collection", only to see it for sale a few weeks later. LOL

Edited by DR.X

It's funny cause flipping is all about the passage of time. 

I've bought books that I always knew I'd sell cause I got them at a below market price. But sometimes I held them for a year before doing so. Was I a flipper in that case? My intent at the time of purchase was to sell, I just took a loooooong time to do it. 

I mean most of us buy books with SOME consideration of future selling (at least in so far as what we are willing to pay for the book). Sure there are some collectors and some books where the purchase price is of no concern, it's a book that just HAS to be bought (thus there's no thought about future sale price/value). But outside of those cases books get bought and then get sold, it's a matter of intent and timing. 

In @1Cool's story the LCS owner probably "hates" flippers because he thinks that money should be going in his pocket, not the "flipper". Though as shown, he's a flipper too. The question is, why isn't the LCS guy trying to max his return? Is he to busy/lazy to keep up on "hot" books that might be in his $1 bins. Or not see the point in going through his boxes and updating price tags ("Oh you found that Ms Marvel in the bin with at $25 price tag?") If the flipper is doing the work of finding the books to flip and then finding the market in which to flip them, why arent they entitled to the money? 

I'll agree the flipper sob story tactic ("Its for my permanent collection! Can I get another 10% off?") is dishonest, and no way to do business. Just remember for all of the "great scores" they blather on about, there are as many losses they aren't talking about.. the speculation buys that didnt pay off, the preorder variants that no one was interested in and the flip they held out on for too long at too high a price and the market dried up...   

I know quite a few people who have never sold a comic book and they are not necessarily wealthy, it's just a hobby for them. One person thinks he will sell some when he retires, but the other 5 that I can think of off the top of my head, just figure their heirs will deal with it.

4 hours ago, comicdonna said:

OT but, does anyone know why the large DIG Auction gif is still flashing above the activity list?  The auction ended in November.  

Mike, I can't see the link but maybe my adblocker is nixing it.  They run weekly auctions so maybe the link is messed up and should be pointing to the Saturday weekly auction (shrug)

Hope you're doing well :hi:

Why do people spend money they don't have on comics and then attempt to resell them with garbage phone photos on this forum... this is getting to be bloody instag-fake-book more and more around here !?!?!

Seriously, you go into debt buying comics that you clearly can't afford with your station in life as you can't afford a camera/scanner that can take decent photos/scans of the
book you're trying to sell.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, Red_Hood said:

Why do people spend money they don't have on comics and then attempt to resell them with garbage phone photos on this forum... this is getting to be bloody instag-fake-book more and more around here !?!?!

Seriously, you go into debt buying comics that you clearly can't afford with your station in life as you can't afford a camera/scanner that can take decent photos/scans of the
book you're trying to sell.

Maybe the same reason people buy books worth $2k a little over a year ago and now feel they’re worth 3x that now.  And they don’t take PayPal. 

No scanner either 😆

FWIW, I try and get 25% more 😊😍

Edited by Columbia Comics

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

There are some pretty obnoxious prices on readily available books on the boards now.  People used to offer things at a small discount, simply because you aren't paying fees to sell here.  Those days are long gone apparently.  

Sellers *not* using PayPal friends and family, per the selling guidelines, still pay a fee to sell here.  Also, factor in the ever-rising cost of shipping and supplies...

Edited by adampasz

2 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

There are some pretty obnoxious prices on readily available books on the boards now.  People used to offer things at a small discount, simply because you aren't paying fees to sell here.  Those days are long gone apparently.  

I can't even remember the last time I bought from the sales forum. It's probably less than 5 books a year now....when it used to be daily/weekly. The 10% of books that are desirable and priced reasonably sell in (literally) nanoseconds, while the remainder just sits. I barely bother to look anymore. It's sad.