• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,155 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, telerites said:
10 hours ago, Bird said:

So how long of a sales thread is too long? I am starting to wonder...how many pages will you look through before checking out? My limit is not too many, maybe 4 or so but here I am throwing everything but the kitchen sink on one thread and planning on doing it again soon in the other forum. 

I love recaps on the first page (as long as they updated in a timely manner).  I see when some post they reserve the second slot for recaps.  I hate going through when someone posts something like 10% everything that is left and I have to go through pages upon pages to review which I don't do. 

Sorry, I missed your post before mine:foryou:. Totally agree.

Hello all - not sure whether you've seen this thread over in CG ( https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/449612-paypal-will-no-longer-refund-processing-fees-when-you-refund-a-transaction/ ). It didn't sound right to me at first, but after Googling around a bit, it seems to ring true - the upshot is that PayPal will soon (in May) stop returning the variable fees to sellers when sellers issue a refund to buyers. I haven't had coffee yet today, so it took me awhile to get my head around the situation, but if I understand correctly, things will go like this (for example):

Let's say that I have $100 in my PayPal account to start with; then, I sell a $1,000 book to someone and they pay me using PayPal - after the 3% (rounded) transaction fee, I receive net $970 from the buyer, which brings my PayPal balance to $1,070. Then the buyer returns the book for a refund - I hit the "issue refund" button on PayPal - the buyer receives their $1,000 back, and $1,000 is deducted from my PayPal account, taking my PayPal balance down to $70 - i.e., $30 lower than it was before I entered into this transaction! Of course, under the old PayPal policy, PayPal would only deduct $970 from my PayPal account, and kick back the other $30 to the buyer from the fee that PayPal originally deducted (therefore restoring my PayPal balance to the original $100 balance that existed before this transaction took place). This sounds crazy as hell, but it indeed sounds like what's about to start happening.

***In that thread in CG, as well as out there in various places on the internet, people are discussing how this will affect eBay transactions, etc. I'm posting this here because I think it's worth discussing how this will affect sales threads here on the boards, and what new sales thread rules/norms may need to arise in response. No returns accepted? PayPal no longer accepted? Returns accepted but with a 3% "restocking fee" if you pay with PayPal ? How will you amend YOUR sales thread rules? What will I do in my sales threads?  hm

Thoughts?

Edited by EC ed

5 minutes ago, EC ed said:

Hello all - not sure whether you've seen this thread over in CG ( https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/449612-paypal-will-no-longer-refund-processing-fees-when-you-refund-a-transaction/ ). It didn't sound right to me at first, but after Googling around a bit, it seems to ring true - the upshot is that PayPal will soon (in May) stop returning the variable fees to sellers when sellers issue a refund to buyers. I haven't had coffee yet today, so it took me awhile to get my head around the situation, but if I understand correctly, things will go like this (for example):

Let's say that I have $100 in my PayPal account to start with; then, I sell a $1,000 book to someone and they pay me using PayPal - after the 3% (rounded) transaction fee, I receive net $970 from the buyer, which brings my PayPal balance to $1,070. Then the buyer returns the book for a refund - I hit the "issue refund" button on PayPal - the buyer receives their $1,000 back, and $1,000 is deducted from my PayPal account, taking my PayPal balance down to $70 - i.e., $30 lower than it was before I entered into this transaction! Of course, under the old PayPal policy, PayPal would only deduct $970 from my PayPal account, and kick back the $30 fee to the buyer from the fee that PayPal originally deducted (therefore restoring my PayPal balance to the original $100 balance that existed before this transaction took place). This sounds crazy as hell, but it indeed sounds like what's about to start happening.

***In that thread in CG, as well as out there in various places on the internet, people are discussing how this will affect eBay transactions, etc. I'm posting this here because I think it's worth discussing how this will affect sales threads here on the boards, and what new sales thread rules/norms may need to arise in response. No returns accepted? PayPal no longer accepted? Returns accepted but with a 3% "restocking fee" if you pay with PayPal ? How will you amend YOUR sales thread rules? What will I do in my sales threads?  hm

Thoughts?

I am not too worried about it really. It sucks yes but I rarely get returns. If I was selling 4 figure items I might add a disclaimer about buyer paying 3% fee if they pay with paypal. I am trying to get more people to pay with Venmo (Using the wife's Venmo, have to get one of my own this week when I remember).

I'm knocking on wood here, but the only problems I've had with refunds has been when I refunded excess postage (and tried to figure out the percentage).

However, I wonder if Paypal keeping the fees has to do with some other changes they mentioned (that I basically ignored) ? I'll have to see if I can find them when I have time. Something about keeping funds in Paypal in order to use them for something.

A few months ago, I received a payment through eBay using Paypal for something that was under $100 and they held the funds. I spent a few hours on the phone between Paypal and eBay because it made no sense. Paypal was telling me it was eBay's fault and eBay was telling me it was Paypal's fault. I finally got someone in the upper level at Paypal who said it was a random audit and was held for 24 hours. There is definitely something going on there.

I use Zelle pay when I buy from MCS, so I wonder if that is an alternative.

I have a small rant.  I actually have not logged on since this incident after my last sales thread which was pretty good I thought for both sides involved.

Everyone has talked about how much things have changed and while I have only sold here a few times I always had pleasant transactions. Since I have been moving out of Bronze and Silver I let a few freebies go with books that people bought. I have had that happen to me and was always grateful and felt especially with raw books that I had multiples of to pass those along to other collectors.

On my last sales thread I tossed a few books in and while I did not do it for anything in return I did not get as much as a thank you, I thought oh they may not  have got it or I mixed the buyers up in my mind, but then I see the freebie listed for sale. And I get it when you relinquish possession of something you are ok and have no control over it but just seems a courtesy would be in order instead of seeing it list up for sale without even acknowledging they got it.

I think what also bothers me is this.

Three people got notes that I may have shipped the wrong books. This person was one of three. I had mixed up my tracking in paypal and sorta confused myself so sent a note to the three I thought may be getting wrong books. This person was one of the three and did in fact get a book he did not pay for. The more I thought of it,the more it concerned me that he did not even acknowledge it knowing I was afraid I had orders mixed up. It was a semi key in low grade that was given away and I sold two others in thread.

Edited by PKJ

I've been selling on ebay.  I haven't sold here in a while.  I may accelerate what has been my lethargic selling - the horizon is looking less and less pleasant (fees, taxes, shipping hikes).

I'll adapt my policy to the extent possible not to absorb this confiscatory penalty without a fight.  My first try will be to impose 3% fee on returns (so I just take the one- or two-way shipping hit).  Next I'll try a policy of 'checks or MO' only.  Then maybe I'll seek out a popular newfangled way of e-pay, particularly if there's a new upstart that become widespread, or maybe feebay will devise a new one in-house.  Worst comes to worst, I'll use my business account to take credit cards, and explain to customer why the receipt will show name of a Mexican restaurant.  Heh, won't that be fun?

On 4/7/2019 at 7:59 AM, PKJ said:

I have a small rant.  I actually have not logged on since this incident after my last sales thread which was pretty good I thought for both sides involved.

Everyone has talked about how much things have changed and while I have only sold here a few times I always had pleasant transactions. Since I have been moving out of Bronze and Silver I let a few freebies go with books that people bought. I have had that happen to me and was always grateful and felt especially with raw books that I had multiples of to pass those along to other collectors.

On my last sales thread I tossed a few books in and while I did not do it for anything in return I did not get as much as a thank you, I thought oh they may not  have got it or I mixed the buyers up in my mind, but then I see the freebie listed for sale. And I get it when you relinquish possession of something you are ok and have no control over it but just seems a courtesy would be in order instead of seeing it list up for sale without even acknowledging they got it.

I think what also bothers me is this.

Three people got notes that I may have shipped the wrong books. This person was one of three. I had mixed up my tracking in paypal and sorta confused myself so sent a note to the three I thought may be getting wrong books. This person was one of the three and did in fact get a book he did not pay for. The more I thought of it,the more it concerned me that he did not even acknowledge it knowing I was afraid I had orders mixed up. It was a semi key in low grade that was given away and I sold two others in thread. 

It is always nice when a buyer acknowledges receipt. That has pretty much been how I do things.

But I know many times when I am the seller it is radio silence.

Ooh, I was excited to get four packages today! No big books, a couple of Adventure Time 1A (which I am irrationally determined to get 100 copies of), and two packages from boardies. And with that much information, you can already see where this is going.

The ebay package contained...a copy of Adventure Time 1C, not 1A. Strike one. The second package, I knew this one was a gamble. A comic dealer selling on Amazon. I have tried buying this comic on Amazon before and gotten a graphic novel. ANd what did I get? Adventure Time 1 Jazware edition, that originally came in a blister pack with Finn and Jake action figures. Another $5 comic. So both of those are getting returned.

I saved the packages from @RickHigh and @arexcrooke for last. Those were good palate cleansers as I got just what I bought: nice looking comics properly packaged and quickly shipped. Man, I just wish I could get all my collector fixes here. Such a better experience. Thanks, Rick and Arex. :)

Didnt want to add to the thread, but here is an interesting distinction...

@Dark Knight suggested that someone (cant remember who, now deleted) was threadcrapping the price, but in actuality the deleted comment was crapping on someone (not the OP) who commented that the list price was a "steal" based on recent sales.

Now Im 100% in the camp of "your book, your price" but Im also a "dont misquote GPA/market to try and sway a sale" 

The OP listed a price, no problem, but when someone else comes along (especially if it's a veteran poster here, and comments on the great price, that does have some influence and cause people to consider a book. So when someone makes claim of a "great price" but the price isn't actually great... what do we call that? Do we just let that occur? It's a misrepresentation potentially. Not saying it was the case here, but it is an old confidence scam to get a second party to "validate" your price to keep interested buyers from questioning it... 

Maybe we should steer clear of acting as price approvers in either direction.

In this case the price $10,500 would be above the general 90 day average ($9325) and the 12 month average ($8713). There is only one recorded sale above this price in GPA (Feb 2019 $11,078 also an old label). 

GPA doesnt delineate between old labels and new in terms of price averaging. Now conventional thinking is that old labels are more likely to get a grade bump upon resubmission (and even more likely with pressing as pressing was not as prevalent in the old label era).  So the @MadJimJaspers comment about it being a great price is based on some assumptions with an old label and the other sale in Feb for over $11000. 

I'll also agree that the idea that some random internet persons post probably shouldn't be a tipping point for deciding if you want to spend $10k on a book or not... And it's not our job to protect people from stupid decisions, but it is a possible loophole for market manipulation... Is 10,500 a "steal" not if the book has unpressable defects and would remain a 9.4 on resub, infact the recent price stall and dip on the high grade IH181 post Disney/Sony mergrer announcement might point to it being the opposite of a steal with the possiblity of pricing plateauing or dropping. 

And in fact, were it to get a grade bump to 9.6 on resub, the value on a 9.6 is only $11461 (and seems to be flat or even dropping following some purchases as high as $14k following the Disney/Sony merger speculation), so less than $1k vs the asking price (not factoring in regrading costs/shipping) 

Dont know my point, but I guess it was interesting to think that not all "great price" posts are created equally, and they're not always based on reality...  so buy based on your own knowledge, not what someone else posts...

Edited by miraclemet

7 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Does the use of "rare" now cause your thread to be pulled?

who was the poster? Someone probably had a trigger warning level reaction to the use of the word, which could be described as "inaccurate" at the most forgiving, or "misleading" if you are less forgiving. 

I mean technically speaking there are no CGC 5.5's on ebay right now for FF48 so it is "rare" in some weird version of the word... if you dont consider the 300+ in grade on the census and the 5k all together for the book. 

The lesson is. Stick to facts here, save the snake oil salesmanship for craigslist and facebook. 

11 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

who was the poster? Someone probably had a trigger warning level reaction to the use of the word, which could be described as "inaccurate" at the most forgiving, or "misleading" if you are less forgiving. 

I mean technically speaking there are no CGC 5.5's on ebay right now for FF48 so it is "rare" in some weird version of the word... if you dont consider the 300+ in grade on the census and the 5k all together for the book. 

The lesson is. Stick to facts here, save the snake oil salesmanship for craigslist and facebook. 

Same offender.  I'm not a fan of carnival barking, but seems a bit of an overreach by mods if that was the reason for the pull.

34 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

Same offender.  I'm not a fan of carnival barking, but seems a bit of an overreach by mods if that was the reason for the pull.

I assumed it was pulled by the mods based someone hitting the "report" button and saying that the post violated the rules or something. not sure how closely they look at the post when it's reported for marketplace violations... now if someone called someone a name, they might read that post...

1 hour ago, KPR Comics said:

Does the use of "rare" now cause your thread to be pulled?

I saw that too. Not sure if that was the reason, but I was not surprised at the responses.  This a very "Dragnet-y" sales place.  Just the facts.  

Edited by Spidey 62