• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,148 posts in this topic

I saw the last post in the thread.  It was a link to the book on ebay.   I see the auction is now ended.  Imagine that.  This person does this just about every time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1966-SILVER-AGE-FANTASTIC-FOUR-48-CGC-5-5-UNIVERSAL-KEY-1ST-GALACTUS-O-W-/254196167725?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Dont know my point, but I guess it was interesting to think that not all "great price" posts are created equally, and they're not always based on reality...  so buy based on your own knowledge, not what someone else posts...

This, if someone can't read between the lines and still makes a 10k+ purchase is it still in the hands of person who said "nice price"?

3 hours ago, MadJimJaspers said:

This, if someone can't read between the lines and still makes a 10k+ purchase is it still in the hands of person who said "nice price"?

Would you care to explain further what you mean by "can't read between the lines"?

Ugh! So between selling 1.5 longboxes in two threads and the VCC I seem to have made 4 mistakes. I double sold one $12 book. I failed to pack 2 $1 comics in a package. I lost a comic, it was here when I took the photo but is not here now that I can find. And I left a bunch of Marvel Super Heroes Hulk books out of another shipment! But I had 30something buyers and despite being tres' organized I mucked it up a little. Sorry to those affected!

Hopefully no more errors come my way, I still have a few boxes left to ship!

And double thank you to those who agreed to mail payment or paid via F&F...I didn't ask everyone to do so but those mailed payments really help out in many ways.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:47 PM, grebal said:

I've been selling on ebay.  I haven't sold here in a while.  I may accelerate what has been my lethargic selling - the horizon is looking less and less pleasant (fees, taxes, shipping hikes).

I'll adapt my policy to the extent possible not to absorb this confiscatory penalty without a fight.  My first try will be to impose 3% fee on returns (so I just take the one- or two-way shipping hit).  Next I'll try a policy of 'checks or MO' only.  Then maybe I'll seek out a popular newfangled way of e-pay, particularly if there's a new upstart that become widespread, or maybe feebay will devise a new one in-house.  Worst comes to worst, I'll use my business account to take credit cards, and explain to customer why the receipt will show name of a Mexican restaurant.  Heh, won't that be fun?

I want to visit your restaurant. I love Mexican. Except the menudo. No menudo. But si to the burritos and tortillas and beans and rice and mmmmmmmmmmm....

On 4/7/2019 at 6:29 AM, EC ed said:

Hello all - not sure whether you've seen this thread over in CG ( https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/449612-paypal-will-no-longer-refund-processing-fees-when-you-refund-a-transaction/ ). It didn't sound right to me at first, but after Googling around a bit, it seems to ring true - the upshot is that PayPal will soon (in May) stop returning the variable fees to sellers when sellers issue a refund to buyers. I haven't had coffee yet today, so it took me awhile to get my head around the situation, but if I understand correctly, things will go like this (for example):

Let's say that I have $100 in my PayPal account to start with; then, I sell a $1,000 book to someone and they pay me using PayPal - after the 3% (rounded) transaction fee, I receive net $970 from the buyer, which brings my PayPal balance to $1,070. Then the buyer returns the book for a refund - I hit the "issue refund" button on PayPal - the buyer receives their $1,000 back, and $1,000 is deducted from my PayPal account, taking my PayPal balance down to $70 - i.e., $30 lower than it was before I entered into this transaction! Of course, under the old PayPal policy, PayPal would only deduct $970 from my PayPal account, and kick back the other $30 to the buyer from the fee that PayPal originally deducted (therefore restoring my PayPal balance to the original $100 balance that existed before this transaction took place). This sounds crazy as hell, but it indeed sounds like what's about to start happening.

***In that thread in CG, as well as out there in various places on the internet, people are discussing how this will affect eBay transactions, etc. I'm posting this here because I think it's worth discussing how this will affect sales threads here on the boards, and what new sales thread rules/norms may need to arise in response. No returns accepted? PayPal no longer accepted? Returns accepted but with a 3% "restocking fee" if you pay with PayPal ? How will you amend YOUR sales thread rules? What will I do in my sales threads?  hm

Thoughts?

I am actively looking for another way to accept credit card payments. 

4 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

Paypal now charging a fee to transfer money to your bank account. Used to be a fee free transaction.

:frown:

You sure about that? They've been charging a fee for an "instant transfer" since last year. Regular old transfer that takes a day or two is still free. Just transferred some dough a few days ago.

7 hours ago, Pontoon said:
7 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

Paypal now charging a fee to transfer money to your bank account. Used to be a fee free transaction.

:frown:

You sure about that? They've been charging a fee for an "instant transfer" since last year. Regular old transfer that takes a day or two is still free. Just transferred some dough a few days ago.

I didn't even realize there was an instant transfer option.

I immediately thought "the man" was hassling me!

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Sellers who post scans made with the brightness and contrast cranked up, and the whites whitened, just disincline me to buy from them. I mean, it's obvious to other people when the scans are being manipulated, right?

It certainly should be.

It's a lot harder to tell with raw books.  At least with graded stuff, the labels are pretty consistent in color, so you can tell if somebody is amping them up.

18 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Sellers who post scans made with the brightness and contrast cranked up, and the whites whitened, just disincline me to buy from them. I mean, it's obvious to other people when the scans are being manipulated, right?

I'm with you, I just click out, avoid taking chances.  I don't assume it is a fact that scan (or scanner settings) was manipulated just because colors look more vibrant, but like you I consider caution 'better safe than sorry.'  I once sent a PM to seller with advice to double-check his scanner settings possibly to turn down color because his images always seem brighter and more colorful, assuming it was not on purpose.

7 hours ago, grebal said:

I'm with you, I just click out, avoid taking chances.  I don't assume it is a fact that scan (or scanner settings) was manipulated just because colors look more vibrant, but like you I consider caution 'better safe than sorry.'  I once sent a PM to seller with advice to double-check his scanner settings possibly to turn down color because his images always seem brighter and more colorful, assuming it was not on purpose.

This topic that is brought up by @DavidTheDavid is a really interesting one. I have found like @Sqeggs had mentioned before that a straight scan of a slab is often quite dark and muddied. I use a black backdrop on my commercial level Konica Minolta Bizhub scanner to reduce glare as much as possible (it still doesn’t always work) and it reduces the glare but makes the book look dark as well.  When I add brightness it starts to wash out the color from what it really looks like but if I use a scan I add some brightness so you can see it.  Lately, I’ve been taking more pictures than scans because I think it gives a truer picture of the book.

I had some other comments related to a book I purchased but I remove those for now until it’s resolved.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

^I'm sure you know it but just to be clear, I wasn't referring to you my friend.  Your listing rock !!

And I would call that copy with the reds an example of fraudulent scan.  Pics can help a lot.

And I also agree sometimes adjustments are required, especially when scan is not an accurate representation of what it depicts.

Edited by grebal

15 minutes ago, grebal said:

^I'm sure you know it but just to be clear, I wasn't referring to you my friend.  Your listing rock !!

And I would call that copy with the reds an example of fraudulent scan.  Pics can help a lot.

And I also agree sometimes adjustments are required, especially when scan is not an accurate representation of what it depicts.

I would call that fraud as well. Looks nothing like the actual book.